Thread: extra light load for 7mm 08

Default extra light load for 7mm 08

I'm looking for ideas on bullet and powder for a 7mm 08 for fox. I am thinking that a HP bullet going 2000 will be too much.

Trail Boss makes super nice reduced loads for fur out to 100yds or so.

7-08- 16gr of Trail Boss under a 140gr bullet for 1475fps
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Trail Boss makes super nice reduced loads for fur out to 100yds or so.

7-08- 16gr of Trail Boss under a 140gr bullet for 1475fps
    What do you think about a 120gr Barnes TSX/TTSX at a reduced charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Why not just go ahead and buy some cast 120's? At low vels that Barnes isn't likely to expand, so why use it? Haven't priced the Barnes lately, but I'm betting you could by 100 cast bullets for the price of one or two magazines of Barnes with the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Why not just go ahead and buy some cast 120's? At low vels that Barnes isn't likely to expand, so why use it? Haven't priced the Barnes lately, but I'm betting you could by 100 cast bullets for the price of one or two magazines of Barnes with the same results.
    Why would I need an expanding .284 120gr +/- on a fox though? A cast bullet wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    yeah most cast 7mm are around .20 each, barnes are a buck each.
    Would there be much leading with a gas check? What brand of bullet would you recommend?

Why would I need an expanding .284 120gr +/- on a fox though? A cast bullet wouldn't be a bad choice either.
    That's the point. If you don't need expansion, why be shooting those expensive Barnes at velocties below their design speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    yeah most cast 7mm are around .20 each, barnes are a buck each.
    Would there be much leading with a gas check? What brand of bullet would you recommend?
    Dunno about brands because I cast all my own lead pills rather than buying. But there are lots out there. I'd recommend a gas check, but also keeping them below 2k at the snout.

Barnes won't expand that low. In my TB loads I just use whatever cheaper soft points I can scrounge up. I've used a lot of Speer Hot Cors in several cartridges. Cast boolits or FMJs would work just fine too.

You just aren't working with enough speed to really expand any but the softest rifle bullets and even then it isn't dramatic.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Definitely, use cast bullets for Extra Light loads.

A Barnes or other mono metal bullets won't be a problem, but Cup and Core bullets could be. If the core goes and leaves the jacket behind, as a barrel obstruction for the next shot. I've not heard of this in a Rifle, but reportedly, it has happened with handgun loads.

For 7mm-08, I'm using 9.5 grains Unique behind a 145 grain Gas Checked bullet. Other powders I have on hand that should work are IMR4227, 2400, Trail Boss. There are others, I could buy.

The Lyman loading Manual has cast bullet loads. Cast bullet loads are to be found on the Internet. Just do some searches.

Leading is seldom and issue IME.

I'm sort of a Novice, but I've never experienced leading in my rifle cast bullet loads, and I've made and used cast bullets extensively, for several different cartridges.

If I did, I think it would mean, the load was too hot, or a different powder choice was in order.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah cast are the way to go. Store bought cast are cheap and if you keep the velocity below about 1800 fps you probably won't need a GC. If you want really cheap cast your own. You should be able to get a lee mold and push through sizer a lead pot and a lead ladle for under $100 then boolits will cost about 2cents each. Wheel weight lead, very good for cast boolits, can be delivered to your door for about $1.25 per lb. There is data for a bunch of powders that work well for cast at about 10 to 15grs per round. Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, Herco, 2400, 700x, most giving velocities in the 1600fps range. The current trend is to use rifle powders in the fast to medium burn rates such as RX7, 3031, 2230 or 748. These can give velocities in the 2000 to 2200 range but will require GCs. Leading of the barrel is not the problem most people seem to think and is usually easy to cure. I have a 223 a 30/30 and a 45/70 all shooting about 1 1/2" @100yd using home cast. Not as good as some folks do but good enough for a 200yd shot. I can afford to shoot a lot at 15/20 cents per round. You could shoot almost any jacketed bullet at 1800fps with good success. They probably won't expand but fox aren't that hard to kill.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That's a good introduction to cast bullets.

I completely forgot about Red Dot, and its a top powder for cast bullets.
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I absolutely can't find lead wheel weights around here anymore. They are made from other cheaper heavy metals these days. I scored some linotype a while back but it's about used up(mixed it with telephone cable lead) don't know what I'll do next.

Dunno if you're anywhere near an indoor range, but that's my principal source of lead. Cheap, and if they get a backlog, often free. The hodgepodge of alloys that collect on their big traps isn't "wheelweight" by any means, but with the growing preponderance of hardcast folks are shooting, it's in the neighborhood. With a hardness tester in hand, you can use precious supplies of linotype to adjust hardness a little. Most times I find "range run" is plenty hard enough for anything you'd use wheelweights for with no further alloying.

Our range charges 10 cents/pound for salvage lead. Time you melt and flux to remove jackets and range dust you lose about 10%, so call it 11 cents/pound. I had a fair supply and no one was buying last time they cleaned the traps, so they called me to see if I'd haul any off and help with their disposal problem. "How much lead are we talking?" sezz I. "How big is your truck?" sezz they. I didn't want to get too greedy, so I only made two trips for a total of a little over a ton. Free. Gratis. And they were happy to have me. In fact they were a little disappointed that I didn't haul off the other two tons they wanted gone.

It would really be worth your trouble to search within a few hours for indoor ranges facing lead issues.

On another note, my biggest use (and loss of lead) is fishing weights and jigs. When I lose those, they're gone. When shooting I mostly use my portable trap to collect the lead for remelting. Recycling as it was meant to be!