Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Sprayed Myself

Default Bear Sprayed Myself

Been packing a pistol and bear spray for the idiot neighbors dog. Told him a couple weeks ago I was gonna get him with one or the other. Took the pups for a walk, and he came after us dragging his chain. I laid out a fog of spray, except the can was getting low. (I sprayed a couple other dogs last summer) Yeah, a sorry mist goes out a few feet. Dogs whirling around me. I get a nice 'whiff'. Eyes water, nose runs, face burns. Dog tried it one more time and I gave another squirt and stepped back. He was done, and so was I, LOL.
    All that said, I've used bear spray on dogs several times, and ain't really that impressed. I'll use it to maybe prevent having to hose one with a gun, but I will never substitute that stuff against a bear over a firearm.
    Forty Fours and Forty Fives rule. Well, and nine, nines for the dogs. Blading.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Last summer, the neighbor pups came over to my side of the ridge. I was target shooting at the time with a 1911, and they REALLY didn't like that.
    They came into the yard, barking at me while I was shooting, and with each reload, they got closer and closer, being more aggressive with their closing distance.
    At one point, while going back to the cabin for another zip lock of ammo, one of the pups (full grown, but immature) bit at my hand carrying the pistol. I had another pistol on my hip, and I drew it on instinct.

I was VERY tempted to dispatch the pup there, but I'm very soft for dogs.

Instead, I grabbed a bottle of spray hanging on a nail by the porch. Both pups got a pretty good spray from less than 6' away. They scurried away rubbing their faces on the ground.

I felt really bad spraying them, but I would have felt worse shooting one. It was a bad owner, not a bad dog.

They have since come over to visit, but they keep their distance.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Been packing a pistol and bear spray for the idiot neighbors dog. Told him a couple weeks ago I was gonna get him with one or the other. Took the pups for a walk, and he came after us dragging his chain. I laid out a fog of spray, except the can was getting low. (I sprayed a couple other dogs last summer) Yeah, a sorry mist goes out a few feet. Dogs whirling around me. I get a nice 'whiff'. Eyes water, nose runs, face burns. Dog tried it one more time and I gave another squirt and stepped back. He was done, and so was I, LOL.
    All that said, I've used bear spray on dogs several times, and ain't really that impressed. I'll use it to maybe prevent having to hose one with a gun, but I will never substitute that stuff against a bear over a firearm.
    Forty Fours and Forty Fives rule. Well, and nine, nines for the dogs. Blading.
    Did you do this yesterday when the wind was blowing so hard, or today when it wasn't as bad...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Did you do this yesterday when the wind was blowing so hard, or today when it wasn't as bad...???
    Today. Hardly even a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I was VERY tempted to dispatch the pup there, but I'm very soft for dogs.
    .... I would have felt worse shooting one. It was a bad owner, not a bad dog.
    I am a dog person too, but am VERY intolerant of roaming dogs acting aggressively, whether it be the fault of the owner or not. Fact it, it's easier to dispatch the dog, even tho society might be better served by dispatching the owner.

Several years ago, a pair of Ridgebacks came into my yard and instigated a three way standoff with my dog and I. I had the shotgun leveled on the one which was closest to and staring down my dog, waiting for it to twitch... Ultimately that dog backed down, but it turned around and growled at me as it left my property. Not long after, that same pair chased a neighbor into her cabin and trapped her there for some time. I still regret not blowing that dog in half, even tho the owner was ultimately the real problem.

Lost/injured dogs in need are treated very kindly, and will get a free ride to Animal Control if possible. But aggressive dogs are another matter. I'll never again make the mistake I made with that Ridgeback.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I am a dog person too, but am VERY intolerant of roaming dogs acting aggressively, whether it be the fault of the owner or not. Fact it, it's easier to dispatch the dog, even tho society might be better served by dispatching the owner.

Several years ago, a pair of Ridgebacks came into my yard and instigated a three way standoff with my dog and I. I had the shotgun leveled on the one which was closest to and staring down my dog, waiting for it to twitch... Ultimately that dog backed down, but it turned around and growled at me as it left my property. Not long after, that same pair chased a neighbor into her cabin and trapped her there for some time. I still regret not blowing that dog in half, even tho the owner was ultimately the real problem.

Lost/injured dogs in need are treated very kindly, and will get a free ride to Animal Control if possible. But aggressive dogs are another matter. I'll never again make the mistake I made with that Ridgeback.
    The last dog I hosed was with a pack, taking down a moose calf. The one before that, I plunked in the noggin with my .357 after it mauled my dog in my yard. Took it's carcass down to my pit and fed it to the eagles. Wouldn't even give the child molester owner the satisfaction of burying his own dog.
    Other than that, I'm fairly patient.

Dogs react wayyy different to spray than bears do. My wife learned this the hard way when one of our dogs was attacked my some low life's pit bull. After doing a bit of research I learned that while spray typically works well to deter bear attacks it rarely will stop an attacking dog.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Dogs react wayyy different to spray than bears do. My wife learned this the hard way when one of our dogs was attacked my some low life's pit bull. After doing a bit of research I learned that while spray typically works well to deter bear attacks it rarely will stop an attacking dog.
    That's interesting, and I wonder why that is? I mean you'd think a dog would be pretty sensitive around the face area as well....

If a dog sucked in a little whiff like I did with that sensitive nose of theirs.............

I have had bite trained dogs over the years. They were trained to bite, and alot of that agression was play to the dog. It is in the training. Over agressive alphas who see you as a threat, or even worse fear biters are most often the result of a crapy owner who does not socialize their dogs. If you have kids I can not overstate the danger these poor dogs present. No it is not the dogs fualt it is all on the owner. If you are concerened about the ramafications of killing the dogs then follow the same rules you use on child molesters, kill them anyway just do it quietly and dont talk about it.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I have been a Chemical Weapons Instructor for many years.
    The reason Bear Spray has minimal effect on dogs is because they do not have tear ducts.
    That is the area that CS and CN tear gas with OC works. CN being the least effective.
    A trained dog or an aggressive dog will only be enraged with spray.
    The same goes for Bears.
    If they truly have mischief on their mind spray will have ZERO effect.
    With people it works on the tear ducts to produce copius amounts and mucus and cause pain in the Trigeminal Nerves.
    Also causes the Epiglottal Flap to flutter cutting off breathing.

It has no such effect on these animals.

I once had a teacher who talked about running his paper route on his bicycle as a kid.
    He claimed Vinegar in a squirt gun was pretty effective on dogs when you squirt them in the eyes.
    I have not tried it but it is certainly worth a shot.
    probably cheaper than bear spray also.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I once had a teacher who talked about running his paper route on his bicycle as a kid.
    He claimed Vinegar in a squirt gun was pretty effective on dogs when you squirt them in the eyes.
    I have not tried it but it is certainly worth a shot.
    probably cheaper than bear spray also.
    I heard the same about ammonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    I heard the same about ammonia.
    Our high school Principle kept a squirt gun of ammonia in his desk to discourage wandering dogs on school grounds. I saw him use it on occasion. One day several of us boys were waiting for him in his office. ( no particular reason LOL) Brad sits behind his desk and then starts opening drawers. Finds the squirt gun and before I could tell him what was in it, he squirts Jay in the face. After a few moments of discomfort, Jay got up and thrashed Brad. The rest of us had a laugh. When Principle walks in, he smells the ammonia, sees Jay's red face, and Brad's pummeled head. He then sat down and proceeded to chew some ass about how stupid it was to grab an unknown gun, yes even a squirt gun, and point it at someone and pull the trigger.

Our high school Principle kept a squirt gun of ammonia in his desk to discourage wandering dogs on school grounds. I saw him use it on occasion. One day several of us boys were waiting for him in his office. ( no particular reason LOL) Brad sits behind his desk and then starts opening drawers. Finds the squirt gun and before I could tell him what was in it, he squirts Jay in the face. After a few moments of discomfort, Jay got up and thrashed Brad. The rest of us had a laugh. When Principle walks in, he smells the ammonia, sees Jay's red face, and Brad's pummeled head. He then sat down and proceeded to chew some ass about how stupid it was to grab an unknown gun, yes even a squirt gun, and point it at someone and pull the trigger.
    That was funnier than hell.....!!!

Yes it was.

Default Dog Dazer

My wife started carrying one of these on her walks and bike rides. She says it works good on all the neighborhood dogs. (loose pets). I tried it on a very aggressive looking and acting shepard through a fence and he turned tail. Saw a guy use one at the harbor to move sealions off a float. Seems to have a pretty good range with fresh batteries. No blow back. http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp. I wonder how a bear would react.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    My wife started carrying one of these on her walks and bike rides. She says it works good on all the neighborhood dogs. (loose pets). I tried it on a very aggressive looking and acting shepard through a fence and he turned tail. Saw a guy use one at the harbor to move sealions off a float. Seems to have a pretty good range with fresh batteries. No blow back. http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp. I wonder how a bear would react.
    Do you remember the purchase price?

Do you remember the purchase price?
    Looks like Amazon has it for about $27. Not bad if it is effective.

Not nearly as bad as a former co-worker who after a day of fishing on the Russian discovered the safety on his bear spray had been knocked off when he sat down in his truck and the spray discharged in the vehicle. Fortunately he hadn't started driving when it went off.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast