Thread: Eastern Interior

Default Eastern Interior

Hi folks. Looking for suggestions on a eastern interior moose hunting adventure that would involve a canoe trip? St Elias region.
    "Everything in moderation including moderation"

~~Oscar Wilde~~

Boy a canoe hunt for moose in the St Elias area! Why in the world would you pick that area? Rugged country to hunt & canoe. Where are you planning to end up with this moose in a canoe? Do you have an exit point somewhere?

"Canoe adventure" and "St. Elias" aren't two phrases I usually associate. Call me a wimp.

Words I do associate with St. Alias are: Remote, rugged, rocks, silt, gradient, Ahtna, and National Park.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have never been there and I take your words with complete sincerity. Maybe a bush plane into a remote lake with a ultra lite canoe to scout the edges. I think glassing from water would work to spot any moose on the fringe. I believe I need a guide as I am not a Alaskan resident? Truthfully I would do a drop camp type hunt in a area guides are almost certain of to contain numbers of moose. Could you recommend any in the area?

~~Oscar Wilde~~

I think the animal would have to be quartered and canoed piece by piece back to a base camp. As for the St. Elias area. This area because of a Lance Goodwin video that I've seen where he canoes into the bush for 7 days I believe or less and hunts for a moose from a base camp he set up previous to the video being shot. He takes a nice moose in the video and quarters it and returns to camp. Exit point and entry point may be the same or not. Drop camp type situation I am thinking by plane into a remote lake. Satellite phone and GPS coordinates and all the good stuff. Looking for some ideas:-)

~~Oscar Wilde~~

Well that makes more sense to me then. I assumed you were hunting while trying to canoe down one of the glacial fed rivers. Look into one of the inflatables or framed breakdown type canoes. You can fly in with it on the plane. You will need to talk to a guide. Ellis in Nebesna or one of the other locals...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Well that makes more sense to me then. I assumed you were hunting while trying to canoe down one of the glacial fed rivers. Look into one of the inflatables or framed breakdown type canoes. You can fly in with it on the plane. You will need to talk to a guide. Ellis in Nebesna or one of the other locals...

Thanks Piper, googled the name and went to the sight.

~~Oscar Wilde~~