Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas vs Cabelas hunting rain coats.

Default Cabelas vs Cabelas hunting rain coats.

Any experience with Cabela's Men's Rain Suede Jacket with 4MOST DRY-PLUS and ScentLok vs Cabela's Men's MT050 Rain Jacket with GORE-TEX and ScentLok? I'm looking at these vs the Kuiu Yukon and the Kryptek Koldo Rain Jacket. I know the Yukon can be used standalone as a rain jacket and soft shell jacket, but wasn't sure if either of the Cabelas can be. I'm believe the Koldo can be as well.

Any experience with these would helpful. I think I'm leaning toward the Yukon but wanted to hear from you some of you all who might have more experience with it. I'll be hunting Juneau, AK/Admiralty Island areas (GMU's 1, 4 and 3) and Adak (GMU 10).

So lots of rain, temperatures 30-low 40s, windy. I'll be doing a lot of hiking. Thanks for the help!

I love my Yukon jacket, wore it for a week straight basically, on Kodiak this October goat hunting. We got temps in the 40s, rain and blowing wind everyday. I wore nothing but a merino tee underneath with a neck gaiter and it was plenty. Worth every penny!
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

That's what I keep seeing and hearing. I'm just not sure I can convince my wife right now to let me fork out the $350. Seeing if one of these other's is better, but for the price I'm thinking they are more like the Chugach where they aren't designed to be a standalone like a softshell. I think they are the thinner stuff designed to just be a hard shell. Thanks for your input AKmyles! Anybody else?

I used the MT50 stuff years ago. It got surprisingly heavy after being rained on most of the day. The term "Suede" in an outdoor garment does not sound any better. I currently use the Yukon and don't regret it one bit. Hunted Ketchikan The last four years and put many miles in the jacket and it is very durable too. They sometimes go on sale during the year 15-30 %. Don't know how their warranty is but have never needed it either

Archre7, awesome thanks!
    I have a buddy here who has the original Cabelas 4Most Dry Plus jacket and he likes it a lot. But I want a jacket that isn't just a outer layer. Yukon sounds awesome.

Thanks and keep the reviews coming folk.

I use the Kryptek gear and I have no complaints. I have tried to use the Cabelas brands and in the PWS rain and wet weather it hasn't worked very well. Unfortunately you pay for what you get so I try and buy quality out of the gate.

I bought the MT050 a few years back because it went on super sale at Cabela's, something like 50% off. Well I can see why. It's really awful stuff for anything more than a drizzle for an hour or so. It's packable and light, when it's not soaked through, but nowhere near worth the $ I don't think. It seems anymore today you need to spend $500+ for a good set of rainwear specifically meant for hunting. I, unfortunately maybe, don't see how the normal person really affords this stuff. Everything these days is just exorbitant whenever the term "hunting" is attached to it. At the moment I refuse to pay that kind of money for an item I'm going to use maybe a couple of weeks a year. I'm sure this will change if I ever draw a sheep tag and need the high quality/lightweight stuff, but for now my wallets staying closed. Anymore I just wear the following. http://shop.grundens.com/shop/pants/.../#.VrYWlXL2Y5g with a regular HH PVC jacket. Not the quietest for sure, but the pants are pretty bomber and comfortable too. Plus they're cheap and I wear them for everything. The jacket, well it is what it is but it sure keeps you dry if you don't sweat up too much in it. That's just something you need to be aware of though and pace yourself obviously.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

The MT050 is good for the Midwest whitetail hunting. Somewhere you can dry it out every night. It gets heavy when wet and takes a long time to dry. Not something you want to deal with on a backpack hunt. I also have the Kuiu Yukon jacket and pants. Couldn't be happier! Hands down the best set of rain gear I've purchased. Sucks to spend that much but it's worth it to me. I'll cut you a great deal on my Mt050!!😁

I got Kryptek Koldo jackets for all of my mechanics, we've been working outside in them for the last 6 months and have been very impressed with them. Tough enough for everyday work wear and we have all stayed dry. A few of my guys are buying more Kryptek for their personal use now too. +1 for the Kryptek.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Is the Kryptek insulated at all as a standalone peice? Or is it pretty thin with no warmth to it? Thats one ofbthe thingsvreally drawing me to the Yukon is it is it's own softshell.

The Koldo are a shell, but they are 3 layer material so they aren't super thin like a packable. I think they are warmer than your typical packable shell, but there isn't any insulation in them. Any three layer waterproof coat is going to be better than a softshell for waterproof, softshells usually have a waterproof coating or layer on them, but they won't handle as much rain as a shell. For southeast, I'd get the best waterproof you can and have separate layers for your insulation.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

I have one of those and my brother had the other. After a caribou hunt where it of coursed rained he left his here. I wore mine out on a PWS halibut trip with rain and wind. Rain blew right through and my back was wet. I have since bought better rain gear.

Bill S, thanks. Sounds like what I was figuring.

AKfish, thanks. I thought that's what I saw online. I don't want a softshell, but I was saying the Kuiu Yukon is a 3 layer waterproof but it also has some insulation, people have replaced their shoftshell and Waterproof later with just the Yukon jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Leryt View Post
    I'll be hunting Juneau, AK/Admiralty Island areas (GMU's 1, 4 and 3)
    This is where I hunt, and I hunt with the MT050 and I have been wearing it since 2001. I wear only synthetic thermals top and bottom. Yes it gets heavy in a hard rain, BUT with only thermals underneath I don't get wet from the inside so I stay dry all day even in the rain or from just walking around in super high humidity which is the standard for around here. It has proven to be durable from slogging through the brush all day too. The Kuiu and Kryptek are priced a bit more.

Sobie2

Sobie2, thanks! And you use it just the base layer with the pants and jacket? Is that good for later in the year too, since you hunt here. Like into October and later hunts?

I have a set of MT050 gear, tops and bottom. I like the jacket quite a bit, it keeps me fairly warm, and has actually done a decent job of keeping me dry. I generally wear them with synthetic thermals underneath and this set up is generally very comfortable, even in rain. The pants I like on cold days because, like the jacket, they are relatively warm. But, I hate the pants in rain or when brush I am walking through is wet. It's not that they don't stay very dry, they do an ok job at that, but as others have mentioned, they get extremely heavy. Walking through wet brush more than an hour, you will feel like you are hiking with serious ankle weights on.

I don't agree with the above post about having to spend $500 for decent rainwear though. If it's a downpour, Helly Hansen Impertech will keep you dry. Period. I think I paid about $80 for my jacket. It's light and it's dry. The downside is that it does not breathe, so it can get hot. But there are endless numbers of threads in this forum about "breathable" gear's ability to stay dry in a downpour, and the general consensus seems to have always been that if it breathes, eventually, water will get through. But I've never bought the $500 stuff either so I can't comment there.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

jmg, thanks for your input. I'm glad to see a couple of good reviews on this Cabela's stuff. And yeah, since I'm looking for hiking gear that pants definitely don't sound like a good idea. The coat must get heavy too, but not as bad huh?
    Yeah, I'm looking at $350 for the jacket and I know its a lot but I haven't heard a single negative review about the Yukon.
    I do know a guide here and he just wears the Grundens Anorak, and windproof sweatpants he treats. But I don't think that is the route I want to go.

OK, your sold now you need the wife to say, BIRTHDAY,CHRISTMAS,ANNIVERSARY ETC. ALL WRAPPED UP IN ONE. Good luck.
    jmg, thanks for your input. I'm glad to see a couple of good reviews on this Cabela's stuff. And yeah, since I'm looking for hiking gear that pants definitely don't sound like a good idea. The coat must get heavy too, but not as bad huh?
    Yeah, I'm looking at $350 for the jacket and I know its a lot but I haven't heard a single negative review about the Yukon.
    I do know a guide here and he just wears the Grundens Anorak, and windproof sweatpants he treats. But I don't think that is the route I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    OK, your sold now you need the wife to say, BIRTHDAY,CHRISTMAS,ANNIVERSARY ETC. ALL WRAPPED UP IN ONE. Good luck.
    Hahahahaha, so soo SSSOOOOOO true! Haha

I imagine the jacket gets heavy and bogged down a bit too maybe, but if I'm carrying a pack, I don't really notice it. Or I put on my HH jacket if raining too much, so it doesn't get wet. My complaint about the pants is not necessarily their ability in rain, but rather, just on those days where the knee-high grass is still wet from rain or just morning dew, hiking around and feeling like your ankles added 20 pounds. On those days, the jacket isn't getting wet at all, but the pants are soaking in the ground/grass water.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast