Thread: Rubber hiking/hunting boot

Default Rubber hiking/hunting boot

This may not be the best/right place for this but:

Obviously XtraTufs were, or are, the standard do everything rubber boot here in AK. However in the last 2 years I've gone through 3 or 4 pairs. Needless to say I'm looking for something else. So my question to all of you is what do you wear for an all around rubber boot? I'm looking for something that I can hike in, that i can use for hunting in (muskegs, alpine and winter), that I can fish from shore in, and that I can use on the boat. The two most popular brands that I've heard are LaCrosse and Muck Boot. I've heard the alphaburly and aero head for LaCrosse and the woody Max and Sport for Muck. What I'd your guy's experience? Also what about Bogs? They have some hunting boots and I now here a lot of people started buying bogs instead of XtraTufs after the switch. Nowhere here in Juneau really has Muck Boots except Nugget Alaskan Outfitters, and they only had the Woody Max's. Several places carry the Bogs though: Western Auto Marine, Nugget Alaskan Outfitters and a couple other places. Nowhere has Lacrosse.

Thanks in advance.

I tried the Boggs after being fed up with cold feet in the thinner XtraTufs. The XtraTufs I bought in 2002 were warm and lasted about 5 years. I replaced them with a pair just prior to them switching production to China. They were thinner than my original pair and only lasted a year. New XtraTufs barely stand up on their own, but my old ones always did. Clearly they got thinner. I tried the Boggs, but they are too stiff, have slippery plastic soles on river rocks, and the neoprene upper portions rub on brush. Muck boots are a similar design to Boggs. My friend has Lacross boots and they are very squeaky on my raft, which is not good for float hunting. I've switched back to XtraTufs. They have the best grip on river rocks. Good luck.

Interesting. Thanks AKChester.
    In my experience I would agree with the XtraTufs and the Bogs/Muckboots. But some of the models aren't as bad. The models like the World Slam and Woody Max are better at traction then the wetlands I have (NO TRACTION). But I'll keep looking, that isn't the first review I've seen about the Lacrosse squeaking.