Thread: Sheep Hunt - Iliamna Area

Default Sheep Hunt - Iliamna Area

I have found very little on this area so far, so i figured i'd start this thread and see if anybody chimes in.

Has any one out there in Forum Land ever done a sheep hunt based out of Nondalton or Port Alsworth?

Thank you in advance for any information given.

In the The Lake Clark National PARK.........????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    In the The Lake Clark National PARK.........????
    The Preserve is close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The Preserve is close by.
    Yes. The area i am inquiring about is within the preserve, NOT the Park (at least thats what this map is showing me). I know the park should be closed to all hunting. Is that true to areas within the preserve boundaries as well?

I have called and left messages over there but have yet to receive a call back. Does anyone know?

Quick google search reveals that it is both possible and legal.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

The last sheep biology presentation I went to, the state biologist mentioned that the Feds are finding a similar decline in sheep numbers over there as the State is finding in parts of 14 and 13.

You can hunt in the preserve. Finding a transporter that is not tied to a guide service might be the hardest part. There often are hand shake deals to not compete in various locations or drainages. There probably are air services on the KP that target the area.

And yes there are decent rams that come out of the area. Lots of work, just like any other area.

You look for the NP's list of permitted service providers, and then start asking them question about where they can land at.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The last sheep biology presentation I went to, the state biologist mentioned that the Feds are finding a similar decline in sheep numbers over there as the State is finding in parts of 14 and 13.

You can hunt in the preserve. Finding a transporter that is not tied to a guide service might be the hardest part. There often are hand shake deals to not compete in various locations or drainages. There probably are air services on the KP that target the area.

And yes there are decent rams that come out of the area. Lots of work, just like any other area.

You look for the NP's list of permitted service providers, and then start asking them question about where they can land at.
    I ended up getting a hold of the biologist out there. Good info

Thank you

I have been spent time in Nondalton, Port Alsworth, Pedro Bay, Illiamna, Newhalen, and Kokhanok. I'd have to say you'd be better off in a different area.

never hunted sheep out there, but i know i've seen piles in the park.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bruin View Post
    I have found very little on this area so far, so i figured i'd start this thread and see if anybody chimes in.

Has any one out there in Forum Land ever done a sheep hunt based out of Nondalton or Port Alsworth?

Thank you in advance for any information given.
    I'm sorry but I'm only gonna let myself say this......you may try looking a little bit further north.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Pedro Bay area has NO sheep. The locals never seen any and the biologists said they never moved down to that area.

I think those were hemorrhoids not piles...........(especially if they a little like Jimmy Carter)............

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    never hunted sheep out there, but i know i've seen piles in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm only gonna let myself say this......you may try looking a little bit further north.
    Yeah, talked to a guy over there for quite a while. He answered all my questions and then some. He was a big help! He said something of similar nature.

There's no sheep there.
    Spewing inflammatory rhetoric and colorful name calling since 2016
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

There is great Sheep hunting there in the Park if you are an eligible federal subsistence person. The Park is more towards Lake Clark, hence the name of the Park. The Alsworth's who live out there have some tremendous Rams mounted.