Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Sheep Hunt - Iliamna Area

  1. #1
    Member Johnny Bruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Anchor Town
    Posts
    119

    Default Sheep Hunt - Iliamna Area

    I have found very little on this area so far, so i figured i'd start this thread and see if anybody chimes in.

    Has any one out there in Forum Land ever done a sheep hunt based out of Nondalton or Port Alsworth?


    Thank you in advance for any information given.

  2. #2

    Default

    In the The Lake Clark National PARK.........????

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    In the The Lake Clark National PARK.........????
    The Preserve is close by.

  4. #4
    Member Johnny Bruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Anchor Town
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The Preserve is close by.
    Yes. The area i am inquiring about is within the preserve, NOT the Park (at least thats what this map is showing me). I know the park should be closed to all hunting. Is that true to areas within the preserve boundaries as well?

    I have called and left messages over there but have yet to receive a call back. Does anyone know?

  5. #5
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quick google search reveals that it is both possible and legal.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  6. #6
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    The last sheep biology presentation I went to, the state biologist mentioned that the Feds are finding a similar decline in sheep numbers over there as the State is finding in parts of 14 and 13.

    You can hunt in the preserve. Finding a transporter that is not tied to a guide service might be the hardest part. There often are hand shake deals to not compete in various locations or drainages. There probably are air services on the KP that target the area.

    And yes there are decent rams that come out of the area. Lots of work, just like any other area.

    You look for the NP's list of permitted service providers, and then start asking them question about where they can land at.

  7. #7
    Member Johnny Bruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Anchor Town
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The last sheep biology presentation I went to, the state biologist mentioned that the Feds are finding a similar decline in sheep numbers over there as the State is finding in parts of 14 and 13.

    You can hunt in the preserve. Finding a transporter that is not tied to a guide service might be the hardest part. There often are hand shake deals to not compete in various locations or drainages. There probably are air services on the KP that target the area.

    And yes there are decent rams that come out of the area. Lots of work, just like any other area.

    You look for the NP's list of permitted service providers, and then start asking them question about where they can land at.
    I ended up getting a hold of the biologist out there. Good info

    Thank you

  8. #8
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    I have been spent time in Nondalton, Port Alsworth, Pedro Bay, Illiamna, Newhalen, and Kokhanok. I'd have to say you'd be better off in a different area.

  9. #9
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,465

    Default

    never hunted sheep out there, but i know i've seen piles in the park.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  10. #10
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bruin View Post
    I have found very little on this area so far, so i figured i'd start this thread and see if anybody chimes in.

    Has any one out there in Forum Land ever done a sheep hunt based out of Nondalton or Port Alsworth?


    Thank you in advance for any information given.
    I'm sorry but I'm only gonna let myself say this......you may try looking a little bit further north.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  11. #11
    Member MooseSlayer96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Pedro Bay area has NO sheep. The locals never seen any and the biologists said they never moved down to that area.

  12. #12

    Default

    I think those were hemorrhoids not piles...........(especially if they a little like Jimmy Carter)............

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    never hunted sheep out there, but i know i've seen piles in the park.

  13. #13
    Member Johnny Bruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Anchor Town
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm only gonna let myself say this......you may try looking a little bit further north.
    Yeah, talked to a guy over there for quite a while. He answered all my questions and then some. He was a big help! He said something of similar nature.

  14. #14
    Member MatSuDano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    21

    Default

    There's no sheep there.
    Spewing inflammatory rhetoric and colorful name calling since 2016
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

  15. #15
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    805

    Default

    There is great Sheep hunting there in the Park if you are an eligible federal subsistence person. The Park is more towards Lake Clark, hence the name of the Park. The Alsworth's who live out there have some tremendous Rams mounted.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •