Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you know about "Trapping SQUIRRELS"........???

Default What do you know about "Trapping SQUIRRELS"........???

Is there a "Best" bait for the traps........???

And I'll take any other bits and pieces of information you might know about trapping squirrels.

We trapped a bunch out of a shop I was working at with French fries. We put the bait in a live trap and it worked pretty good. Bird food and sunflower seeds worked good too. And they love salted peanuts in the Shell.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Take a 8-12 foot log that you can lift (4-8 inches in diameter) and lean against a tree that you know squirrels frequent. Take some trip wire or that gauge of wire and make a snare with enough wire to wrap around the leaning log to secure it. Make several of the snares (4-6) and make sure the snare loop is on top of the log, alternating them to a small degree to not have all of them straight on top of the log so you can look straight up through them. Space the snares out and make them about fist size about 3-6 inches above the log.

Caught many squirrels using these.

The bate is laziness. They would rather climb an incline rather than straight up when they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I have read that peanut butter, just a small amount works, but I have no first hand experience trapping squirrels. I have a dozen Victor Rat Traps for last ditch survival kit. Figure it might be a good idea to not wait till I am starving to death, before getting some experience.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is there a "Best" bait for the traps........???

And I'll take any other bits and pieces of information you might know about trapping squirrels.
    I've never targeted them, but I've trapped a few in traps that I've set out for marten and weasel. I don't think they are very particular. Probably any type of bait would work. I caught them using scraps of blood meat for bait.

I've trapped a bunch.

Best method I've found is to nail a furring strip between two trees about 5' off the ground. Run a screw through a fender washer into the top with enough space for a set Conibear 110. When the squirrel runs across the strip, he's done. You can bait the washer with peanut butter or just throw out some bird seed in the area. Cats won't cross the strip (too narrow) but squirrels will run across it. A 110 kills them instantly.

You could probably set 3 or 4 on a strip and just let them fall off when they fire. Squirrels will still run across it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I like to use snare poles as mentioned above. I put my poles horizontal between two trees near a squirrel midden. The squirrels will use the poles to go from tree to tree and get caught, no bait needed.

Interesting color variation of those three in the lower photo.

I have trapped a ton of squirrels using peanut butter as bait. Never found anything else that works half so well.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Will they eat meat like red back voles or shrews........???

The Parka or Ground Squirrel you have to salvage the hide or meat. Can the other squirrels be legally used for baiting other animals.......???

Will they eat meat like red back voles or shrews........???
    Squirrels will occasionally eat meat. I've seen one snack down on a boreal chickadee, peanut butter is hard to beat.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Victor rat trap baited with pecan halves or peanut butter has always been my go to for trapping on/in/around structures. I really like the idea of snares tho, if in a place that's workable.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yes, I like the snare idea also. I can see one still set......in the top photo. Hoping someone has a good close-up photo of the set.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Victor rat trap baited with pecan halves or peanut butter has always been my go to for trapping on/in/around structures. I really like the idea of snares tho, if in a place that's workable.

It's set just like an inverted hare snare, or inverted wolf trail run neck snare, for that matter. Fine wire need only be strong enough to support itself in the erect position. Simple to do if you have a spot where they will run from point-A to point-B (even along the wall of a cabin/structure on a trim board, for example).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

We used to live trap them. Dead trapped coons, cats, beavers, and everything else. The tough trapping was the snare I set up to catch the neighbor kids. Just like in the Tarzan show.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

• This is where I learned about snaring squirrels on running poles, and here is a picture of a black color phase red squirrel that I caught.

This is the best picture I have of snares set on a pole. I used safety wire or floral wire to make my snares.

Thank You........I will read and study that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by HC130FE View Post
    • This is where I learned about snaring squirrels on running poles, and here is a picture of a black color phase red squirrel that I caught.

Matter of fact, the squirrel pole is so effective that some states have made them illegal to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I have read that peanut butter, just a small amount works, but I have no first hand experience trapping squirrels. I have a dozen Victor Rat Traps for last ditch survival kit. Figure it might be a good idea to not wait till I am starving to death, before getting some experience.
    I have peanut butter out for the birds (woodpeckers, nuthatches & chickadees all love it) and we get squirrels in all the time to eat it, too. I think crunchy PB on a rat trap would work wonderfully. Be careful where the trap is set, as it would be easy to trap a limit of birds pretty quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast