Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber Hunting Boots

Default Rubber Hunting Boots

Obviously XtraTufs were, or are, the standard do everything rubber boot here in AK. However in the last 2 years I've gone through 3 or 4 pairs. Needless to say I'm looking for something else. So my question to all of you is what do you wear for an all around rubber boot? I'm looking for something that I can hike in, that i can use for hunting in (muskegs, alpine and winter), that I can fish from shore in, and that I can use on the boat. The two most popular brands that I've heard are LaCrosse and Muck Boot. I've heard the alphaburly and aero head for LaCrosse and the woody Max and Sport for Muck. What I'd your guy's experience?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Leryt View Post
    . The two most popular brands that I've heard are LaCrosse and Muck Boot. I've heard the alphaburly and aero head for LaCrosse and the woody Max and Sport for Muck. What I'd your guy's experience?
    Thanks in advance.
    I've got both- I can hike better in the Lacrosse, the Mucks are too flexible for rough terrain.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Obviously XtraTufs were, or are, the standard do everything rubber boot here in AK. However in the last 2 years I've gone through 3 or 4 pairs. Needless to say I'm looking for something else. So my question to all of you is what do you wear for an all around rubber boot? I'm looking for something that I can hike in, that i can use for hunting in (muskegs, alpine and winter), that I can fish from shore in, and that I can use on the boat. The two most popular brands that I've heard are LaCrosse and Muck Boot. I've heard the alphaburly and aero head for LaCrosse and the woody Max and Sport for Muck. What I'd your guy's experience?
    Thanks in advance.
    I've used all three varieties in the past and have come to these conclusions. Each is better suited to one thing than everything. If I could have only one then I'd use 15" uninsulated Xtratufs. Since I don't have to do that, I use Xtratufs for fishing (best in a boat and most comfortable in general), LaCrosse Burly air grip for hunting/hiking (lighter and cooler than Muck) and insulated Muck boots in the winter.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

An older pair of LaCrosse Alpha burly lights. At least I think they were considered light weight as they had no amour like they do now. Quite a few years old now and are outstanding for most tundra and forest hunting hiking and use in boats. They have a light weight hiking boot sole.

I like the LaCross Alpha Burley's. Stiff shank for decent side hill bite and heel bite on a straight down shot. Can be a bit warm outside of fall usage.

Never thought much of xtratuffs. when I'm wearing a boot like that it's a Muck boot.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

One more for Burley's. Xtratuff suck after going to china a couple years ago.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Which Lacrosse do you guys use? Cabelas has the Alpha Burly and the 4X Burleys. They also have the Aerohead which of the Lacrosse's have the best reviews.

Also what about Bogs? They have some hunting boots and I now here a lot of people started buying bogs instead of XtraTufs after the switch. Nowhere here in Juneau really has Muck Boots except Nugget Alaskan Outfitters, and they only had the Woody Max's. Several places carry the Bogs though: Western Auto Marine, Nugget Alaskan Outfitters and a couple other places. Nowhere has Lacrosse.

Thanks for your input, keep it coming.

+1 for the Lacrosse Burly. I like the knobbed bottoms for their gripping power.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Which Lacrosse do you guys use? Cabelas has the Alpha Burly and the 4X Burleys. They also have the Aerohead which of the Lacrosse's have the best reviews.
    I use the "plain" Burly boots that have plain rubber uppers. I find the lined uppers (Alpha Burly) are very hot for hunting/hiking in the fall and late spring.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    One more for Burley's. Xtratuff suck after going to china a couple years ago.
    Thats why i still have 2 brand new pair of made in USA!

I've gone over to Bogs, some insulation, better ventilation, but slick on icy ground. Good for hunting and on the boat. Better in winter than insulated xtra tuffs.

Default Bogs Men's Classic High Waterproof Boot

I don't know why but I have a knack for finding these on sale on Amazon in the 70 dollar range. (they are not that now)

My first pair lasted nearly 4 years. I am currently on my second pair- year 3. I wear them literally every day except the three or four summer months- to work, around town and hunting. I wear them in the winter for hunting down to about 20 below. They have thicker neoprene (7mm to 5mm) than Mucks. I'm amazed more people don't wear them. No, I am not a paid endorser- just a happy customer.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Thats why i still have 2 brand new pair of made in USA!
    I picked up a brand new pair of USA Xtra's at a garage sale......cheap. There are just about the only boot I'll wear moose hunting. I really like how quiet they are when walking on gravel. Very noticeable when your buddy is clomping along with you in hard soled boots. I used to wear insulated Xtra's on the snow go, but switched to Muck Arctic Sport for that a couple years ago.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

My Burley's are seven years old Alphas I believe. I too buy good shape American xtratuffs at yard sales in all sizes. I will say Burleys don't pull off your feet easy if pulled under crossing a stream or at the sweaty end of the day. For stream crossing I pull off boots and wear Bamma booties.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I wore the Lacrosse Burley's for years and finally broke down and bought the new AeroHeads. Love them! Every now and then I'll put on the Burley's and can't beleive how much more I like the Aero Heads.

Thanks guys. Definitely a lot of support for the Lacrosse.
    Burly, Alphaburly and Aerohead. I'll have to look more into the different models.

Keep up the comments.

I am a Bogs fan myself and have two different pairs. The Classic High's are flexible (neoprene) and easy to hike in. The Bowman's are stiffer (rubber) and perfect for wet, swampy moose areas. The best thing though is their unconditional warranty. Wore out (neoprene at ankle started to leak) my first pair of Classic High's after about 4 years of hard use, called Bogs, sent a picture, and had a brand new pair within a week. Hard to beat that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just discovered the best rubber boots ever. I found a pair in Fort Yukon, a hunter from Sweden left them their after his hunt. They're made in Finland, the brand is Nokian. They make all kinds of boots, several models for hunting and work. Mine are insulated but not bulky, have a much better lug sole than any other rubber boots, and have a built in grove for snowshoe or ski binding.
    There is a place in Canada that sells them called Brushey's.

Nokian's website: http://nokianjalkineet.fi/en/

The boot that I found is called the KAIRA, I was going to post a picture but can't figure out how to post one.

AKFreezerFiller, oh really? How was the Bowmans for warmth? I'd like to use these not just for hunting and hiking but for fishing the cold streams as well as when the snowfalls (very little the last two years). I like the idea of the bogs, and see a lot of them local but haven't seen much positive for them on the internet compared to Lacrosse and Muck boots.....honestly haven't really seen Bogs mentioned at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast