Thread: Keeping Logs Off The Beach

Default Keeping Logs Off The Beach

Looking for ideas for what can be done to keep logs from accumulating on the beach in front of my cabin during high tides/Winter storms. Normally, one might be happy for the free firewood, but we need to be able to drive an ATV/trailer combination up to the boardwalk that can be seen at the top of the attached picture. We use the trailer to carry my Dad (in his motorized wheelchair) up to the boardwalk so he can get up to the cabin. As you can see in the photo, the beach got hit pretty hard this Winter. I can clear the logs of course, but I'd like to be able to keep them from coming back (or at least make some dent in the volume of clutter that the ocean vomits onto the beach).

photo.jpg

Short of building a structure, like a jetty, it is going to be near impossible.

Can you relocate the ramp to a cleaner part of the beach?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Maybe put a For Sale sign on the logs? That way someone will think they're valuable and steal them.

It could work...

I wish I had your problem. At my beach place on Kodiak we wait for years for a single log to drift in but I do understand your situation.

You might consider anchoring a floating log boom around your access ramp that incoming logs cam bump off of. Find some good big logs and cable them together with an anchor of some sort to hold the shape. It will require a lot of maintenance and bare in mind that the all mighty DNR takes a very dim view of tideland alterations. (Believe me I know)
    If you have lots of $$ check this out
    http://www.tuffboom.com/ I suspect the end result might be sorta like shoveling dodo up hill.

If you can get away with it you could take 55 gallon drums anchored to the bottom forming a floating fence. Done right you could unclip and beach it when you are at the cabin so it wouldnt screw with the view. Again as stated above some wings of the government dont think we own our own land.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Short of building a structure, like a jetty, it is going to be near impossible.

Can you relocate the ramp to a cleaner part of the beach?
    We've decided to build a jetty/ramp structure that will allow us to just rise up and over the accumulated logs. Awaiting approval of our Army Corps of Engineers permit application in order to keep it all legal like.

I would go a different route... purchase a sawmill, build a log ramp and drag those beauties to the mill. Looks like some lumber in the mix as well as fire wood. Manna from heaven.

Of course... my plan means, now you go to the cabin to work, not rest or fish.

photo.jpgSo, here's a photo of the jetty we had built. So far it's working. I'll let you know next Spring if it was really worth the expense.