Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas instinct outfitters tent

Default Cabelas instinct outfitters tent

Anyone have any experience with them? This series looks pretty new so not a ton of reviews on them. Look like they would hold up pretty well. Really don't want to drop 3 grand on an arctic oven or something similar. The other option is to rent a tent from kodiak kamps, but by the time our 10 days are up we will be into the tent for almost 400 bucks, and the cabelas tents retail for about a grand. I know a few here aren't huge fans of the cabelas tents, but this tent would get used about 10-15 days a year. We are leaning this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on where you plan on using it, this type of tent does not do well in high winds. Have seen many like it with multiple broken supports as their height catches too much load in big winds. Just my 2 cents worth but prefer something with a lower profile.

The cabelas xwt tent is awesome. All I use on kodiak. Worth the money. I'm not spending the money for an arctic oven when the xwt has never let me down in 10 years.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    The cabelas xwt tent is awesome. All I use on kodiak. Worth the money. I'm not spending the money for an arctic oven when the xwt has never let me down in 10 years.
    I also switched to the xwt and really like it.

I've run the Cabela's Guide (same style as instinct) model 8 man up here in the fall lots, only one time I had a pole break, but that was a fiberglass pole and we placed the tent in a less than ideal location.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Thanks for the help so far guys. It's appreciated, now if they would put the thing on sale within the next month I would be really happy!

Hey, I know this is slightly off topic, but what about Single man tents? What is a good singleman tent? I guess single or two man.

Beware of the zippered portion of the floor in the instinct tents, designed for placement of a Woodstove. When camping in wet or swampy terrain, water seeps through the zipper and you can end up with water standing inside the tent. Using a tarp or ground cloth underneath helps some, but it's still a potential issue.

I have had great experiences with both the XWT (we have the 12'x12') and the guide model (6 man). Bathtub floors (and the lack of floor zipper) have kept the interior dry even when we had to set it up in swampier conditions than I would have preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by quest32a View Post
    I know a few here aren't huge fans of the cabelas tents,

I've seen far more positive comments made about the Cabellas guide tents than negative. I've always thought they were great tents for the money, and did all my guiding out of a 6 man. Actually had 2 different hunters at different times say that I saved their lives with that tent.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

How comfortable is the 6 man tent for 3 people on the guide series? We aren't 100% on the instinct, we are definitely willing to consider a guide one. We just thought the instinct was a touch bigger.

I have a six man Alaska guide tent that is prob 15 years old. My dad and I hunted out of it for years. More than enough room for two but could be snug for three with much gear.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have a cabelas six man guide series tent with aluminum poles. I bought it last year for a family tent, and have not been let down. We went camping 20+ nights last year in it as a family, as well as a twelve day, very wet float hunt. When camping with family we usually bring a friend, and that friend this year weighed about 360lbs (big not fat). My wife and I, two kids age 4 and 5 the big guy and even two medium dogs. Yes it was tight, and we didnt have gear, but that should give you some perspective on how the floor plan laid out. My wife and I with two kids squeezed in were on a queen air mattress, and the dogs were on a blanket by the door. my buddy was in his own sleeping bag. All of this fit, and we will do it again this year many times. plenty of room if you ask me. Keep the food totally out, backpacks and waders in the vestibule, and you will be good to go.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    and that friend this year weighed about 360lbs (big not fat).

Joe
    If he's not fat then he must be pretty dang tall........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

So if we do look at the guide series vs the instinct I am assuming it will be well with it to get the one with aluminum poles for kodiak? Weight really isn't a huge issue.

if weight isn't an issue i'd go with the XWT tent...
    and as always don't set up a tent where the grass is all bent one direction on kodiak...
    becca that zippered floor is where the toilet goes i thought?!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    becca that zippered floor is where the toilet goes i thought?!
    I am forbidden to pee in floorless shelters, but no one said anything about zippered floors! Genius!

you are welcome!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I've run the Cabela's Guide (same style as instinct) model 8 man up here in the fall lots, only one time I had a pole break, but that was a fiberglass pole and we placed the tent in a less than ideal location.
    Same here. Spent 3 days pinned down in very high winds. Not a single problem and they are very roomy.

I'm not very familiar with the Instinct tent, but from reading the description it sounds like it has a bigger vestibule. The tent itself looks to be a slightly elongated version of the Guide series. For the six-man versions they are both 75" high. Floor on the Guide is a 10'8" hexagon. Floor on the Instinct is a 10'10" x 9'5" something. According to the Q&A at Cabela's the Instinct offers improved wind resistance.

The last few hunts with my dad (now in his 70s) we've gone to using cots. The Guide series 6-man does not accommodate cots very well. The Instinct may be very similar. If you think there may be cots in the future it might be worth going up to the XWT. Otherwise go with whichever one suits your needs best. Definitely spring for aluminum poles.

Thanks everyone. Ended up going with the instinct. We were down to the xwt 8 man vs the instinct outfitter. Didn't have the xwt in stock so we we went with the instinct. I'll be setting it a few times in the house here shortly and be giving it a full workout I kodiak in May. So I'll post back with a full reviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast