Thread: homer to kodiak

Default homer to kodiak

I am curious if there are many people who have taken their boat from Homer, Alaska to Kodiak not using the ferry. If so, what kind of boat do you have? How big is your boat? What was the trip like. Thanks

I was a passenger/part time crew member (I stood wheel watch for a few hours)on a 42'Delta Seiner.

Smooth in KBay, light rollers by Flat Is, we cut through the Barrens- THAT was a ride! 4-6' chop after that to Shuyak. I'm not a pro, but I don't think I'd like to have been in a smaller boat.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by mcnejs View Post
    I am curious if there are many people who have taken their boat from Homer, Alaska to Kodiak not using the ferry. If so, what kind of boat do you have? How big is your boat? What was the trip like. Thanks
    My old friend Renn Tolman used to take his little 'Pennywhistle', a displacement hull of low power (guessing 28') to Shuyak/Kodiak/Bann Island deer hunting for many years. Lots of people do it in small craft; it is a weather dependant endeavour entirely, if you care for comfort and life. I spent over two weeks in Carrie Inlet (Shuyak) in a 78' steel boat waiting for weather on a deer hunt in November. That was back in the day of 7 deer limit. I have a pic somewhere of 49 deer hanging from the starboard gunwale...

After you leave the peninsula there is only the Barren Islands between and they are not the best hangout in bad weather. Without size, it is a between the equinoxes only transit. The closer to the middle the better. If you have a fast boat and get up early one day in July you can make it to Shuyak before the day breeze gets to bad, I'm told.

I go longlining with my dad every year near kodiak, we go there and back in a 32' boat. Only the rips are rough the rest is fine when it's not blowing too hard.

That trip is on my radar, we have a 28 ft Kingfisher. Very weather dependent but not an impossible trip in my view.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have a 24ft Bowpicker. One time I made it to the Barrens out of Homer, great trip, but quick. We had made it down to the Chugach Islands, is was flat calm and forecasted to stay that way for a couple days. Figured we could be to the Barrens in an hour, found our first glass ball on a beach there. No real camp gear so had to run back to Homer that evening.

Another time with a good forecast we ran to Augustine and camped a night, woke up at 6 am to howling winds and beat it back to K-Bay before it got worse. Watch the weather, have plenty of food if you have to wait it out somewhere, it can be done, but you are in open ocean out there.

I have a 28' King Fisher. I have done the trip several times. Obviously you have to pick your weather and be prepared for an extended trip or a commercial flight home from Kodiak. It is about six hours of running for us. We usually do it in 12 hours stopping and fishing along the way. Tides are a big issue for the rips too. Also make sure you know to avoid the sea lion rookeries. Make sure all your safety equipment is in order. Kodiak usually has a slip you can hot bunk in and all the city services are right there close to the old harbor. The new harbor is a short cab ride and a bridge away.

I've made the trip multiple times in my 30'er, try to time crossing the Barrens area on a slack or low tide.
    One time I missed the window and had to pound through a wall of 10'-12' breakers just beyond the Barrens.
    I like to take several days each way fishing and exploring Shuyak and Afognak.
    This year I'm planning to spend some time on the South end of Kodiak and want to take my boat over to Lake Illiamna for a few weeks.
    Redleader standing by

I'm intersted in this trip too, definitely on the list, but I'm even more interested in Redleader's trip to Lake Illiamna. PM sent.

Thank you all for the information. I hope to someday make the trip. I am looking to buy a boat and am researching options.