Thread: .300 wsm coal

Default .300 wsm coal

I have some questions for you experienced reloaders out there. I have some concerns with a .300 wsm custom rifle build that was just completed. My goal with this new rifle was to shoot as close to the lands, that would give me the best accuracy, and still utilize the box magazine. After receiving my rifle from the gunsmith, I started taking some measurements. With factory ammo (180 gr. Federal Premium) I am 0.334" from touching the lands. Seems like a lot of jump to me. My other measurements are as follows using new brass and Nosler A.B. 180 gr:
    Max COAL with bullet touching lands= 3.106"
    OGIVE of bullet touching lands = 2.164" (using Hornady bullet comparator)
    Max COAL to fit box mag = 2.975"
    Amount of jump if loaded to box mag max length = 0.131"
    0.131" seems like way too much jump to me. I have not had the time to load rounds at this length, but that is really going to limit my options. Using the Hornady OAL gauge and the Nosler bullets, the bullet is barely in the case at the point it engages the lands (3.106"). Should I demand that my gunsmith fix this, or try to load for mag length with the 0.131" jump and hope the gun shoots well?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    I have some questions for you experienced reloaders out there. I have some concerns with a .300 wsm custom rifle build that was just completed. My goal with this new rifle was to shoot as close to the lands, that would give me the best accuracy, and still utilize the box magazine. After receiving my rifle from the gunsmith, I started taking some measurements. With factory ammo (180 gr. Federal Premium) I am 0.334" from touching the lands. Seems like a lot of jump to me. My other measurements are as follows using new brass and Nosler A.B. 180 gr:
    Max COAL with bullet touching lands= 3.106"
    OGIVE of bullet touching lands = 2.164" (using Hornady bullet comparator)
    Max COAL to fit box mag = 2.975"
    Amount of jump if loaded to box mag max length = 0.131"
    0.131" seems like way too much jump to me. I have not had the time to load rounds at this length, but that is really going to limit my options. Using the Hornady OAL gauge and the Nosler bullets, the bullet is barely in the case at the point it engages the lands (3.106"). Should I demand that my gunsmith fix this, or try to load for mag length with the 0.131" jump and hope the gun shoots well?
    That sounds like a fairly normal throat for a .300 WSM. If you specified a different throat and the gunsmith committed to it then I would definitely have him remedy it now. Realize that a rifle cut with a short throat may not digest all manner of factory ammo safely.

This isn't to say that the rifle will not shoot accurately as it is currently assembled, but that's a lot of jump for a precision rifle and throats only get longer through use. I'd probably cut the throat with the sleekest bullet you plan to use as it will likely require the shortest throat. I'd make a dummy round with that projectile at something like 2.925 OAL for your gunsmith to use as a guide. 2.925ish will allow some wiggle room and let you chase the lands during the barrel's life. You can load "rounder" ogive bullets easily in a 2.975 magazine set up this way as they will require a shorter OAL.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.