Thread: How best to use urine from a dog in estrus

Default How best to use urine from a dog in estrus

I've been gathering urine from my lab for the past week or so since she came into season. She is just now getting hot and would be ready to breed this week. I broke out some trail this past weekend through mature timber, and across several dry sloughs, grass flats, and small lakes. I drove the edges of the lakes the best I could through alder and willow, but the tussocks made it really tough going. A few openings I drove straight across as contrasted with driving around the edges.
    The snow is old, and it is hard to read tracks, or tell how fresh anything is. I can't say I found any wolf sign for sure, though there were a few areas that looked like something other than moose had gone through. I did see fox sign. I found no kill sites of any sort in an area about 8 miles long.
    How would you use the urine? What would your sets look like? Would you put this down, then add "male" urine to a post with footholds? Would you use just the urine and snare an area?
    I'm wondering what you might have done that has worked, or creative ideas you have. Feel free to add any photos or diagrams of your sets, and photos of any successes you've had with using urine from a dog in estrus.
    ARR

ARR, if it's wolves your after I would really try to find some kind of wolf sign before making sets. As you probably know, wolf traps are big, heavy and expensive so trap placement is key. Look for travel routes and look for natural pee sets they they give you first. If they don't give you any then by all means, make your own with your dogs pee. Make it right along the wolfs trail, usually on a tussock or on the inside bend of the trail. If you don't have anything good to anchor to then you can use drags but drags should be big, 6-8" in dia and 7-9' long and should be cut in the summer so chainsaw scent will be mostly gone. I was told by a wolfer and use it to this day to place your traps about 16"(center of pan) offset to your pee placement, either to the left or the right. Hope this makes sense, I wish I would have taken pics of my sets this last weekend, I spent the whole day setting pee and blind trail sets before I came up to my wolf. Good luck!

Good info, Steve. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Makes sense to target wolves you need wolves. Unfortunately, I did not see an definitive sign. I do know that wolves are running a few miles south of me, so there is always the chance that they'd come into my area. I know they are running snowmachine trails and if they found mine it would make it easy for them to get through the swamp I'm in.
    I thought I'd put some urine in a few areas just to see what "dogs" got interested. If fox, I could target them w/ legholds or snares. Might have a few coyotes in the area as I've seen them there before too.
    Thx for sharing set ideas. I'd likely have set the trap closer to the post than 16".
    Any other ideas?
    ARR

Steve pretty much hit the nail on the head with how to utilize it you can pull your trap in a bit up to 12 inches away from the post and still be successful but a tad further out is better as you wont miss as many and you will miss some no matter where you st the trap trust me on that
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I would sure love to catch a wolf but not many here in IL
    I have used post sets for coyotes and I imaging it would work for wolves, I often set 2 traps at one set offset on either side of the post to increase my odds, it may seem like a waste of steel but I would rather check less sets with increased odds at each stop. Gotta post some pics fellas ya got me droolin! Good Luck...
    Oh, you can stretch your dog in heat urine by mixing it with some coyote urine if you have some - should work fine...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

What I have is snow/urine mix. I put a bunch in a bucket, and headed out. Got to the line I've cut, and started dragging a stinky beaver behind me. Whenever I ran through a good brush patch I'd throw out a bit of urine. I'm not seeing any dog tracks so just leaving some scent in case they come through. Mainly I'm seeing old marten sign, so pretty happy that I got 10 marten sets done. Did have fresh sign on a bait I left hanging low, so left a 110 on a tree the marten had been running.
    So far the only other fresh sign I saw was some fox on the main river. I'll leave some bait in the area along w/ some urine to see what they do. This is the first time in a long time I've put out any sets on my own. And I forgot just how fun it is to be out.
    Never know, maybe, just maybe, I'll get a little lucky and find something waiting for me next time I go out.
    ARR

finally saw my first fresh canine tracks tonight. Looks like maybe a larger fox. Can't believe a coyote could have come across the snow these tracks were on without sinking. Started laying out more urine at every good spot I could end up tying a trap to.
    But, better yet, I caught my first marten tonight. Kind of a different set, it was just a big blown down log w/ snow on top. I put a volleyball sized piece of beaver on it, and a day later it had been chewed on, so put up a 110 coni, and wallah!

Attachment 88323Attachment 88324

That'd be my first marten ever! Been out helping other guys do their thing, but never on my own. I've been smart enough to catch beaver, but nothing else. Years ago the fox were all way smarter than me. As I recall, I couldn't even luck onto a squirrel. So I'm pretty happy.

Now if I can just get a few more sets out before the guy that found my trail tears everything up. Funny, I spent 2 days working my way through the woods, broke out trail where no man has gone, left it as rough as I could, and somebody still followed me. Oh well. At least he did not mess with anything, so that's cool.
    ARR

Congrats on the marten, RR. If I were U, I think I'd stick a trail cam out on my trail just so I had an idea who/what has been out on my trail.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Thought about a trail cam where I caught that marten. Would be a good spot for it. Rather get photos of animals than guys. Think I'll probably put up a sign near the head of the trail, which is an alder choked drainage, then when the trail turns up the bank, put in some trail snares. There was some fox sign close, so maybe I'll catch a fox and keep at least good folks out.
    Now I'm hoping that another 1 or 2 sets produce. I'm too bald for a "1 marten" hat to be any good.
    ARR