Thread: Road Kill Scraps

Default Road Kill Scraps

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone is on the road kill list, or knows someone one on the road kill list, or if someone is lucky enough to get a cow moose through the hot spot hunt or something, I will gladly come get any left over scraps for dog food. My wife and I like to mix the trimmings off our moose/caribou game meat with our dog food. Obviously not the good stuff. Just the stuff you would normally throw away. We pressure cook it, bag it, and freeze it. Helps stretch out of dog food and I think it's actually healthier for them than most of the stuff you buy at the store. If anyone knows where I can get some scraps please send me a pm. I'll gladly come pick it up. Thanks.

I am not sure most people would have throw away meat, maybe a tiny bit left out in the field, I for one bring the bones back to cut up to use for soup later, and any scraps after that would certainly be used for sassage or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I am not sure most people would have throw away meat, maybe a tiny bit left out in the field, I for one bring the bones back to cut up to use for soup later, and any scraps after that would certainly be used for sassage or something like that.
    I'm just talking about the inedible scraps that most humans would not see fit for human consumption. Don't worry, I've never participated in any acts of wanton waste whatsoever.

Either you have never butchered meat, or you enjoy tendons, glands, blood, and hair more than most people.

I started feeding my dog my scraps this fall as well, and while it has cut down on the dog food, and I would imagine it is healthier for the dog as well. I did a bit of research before hand, and have not had any troubles. The dog doesn't complain either. I have not been cooking it though, just feeding it raw. Nearly all of it gets frozen, and then sawed up or chopped into chunks and tossed in the freezer. I give the dog one in the morning, and since it is frozen, keeps her busy for a while as well. Rib bones and other softer bones get fed as well. It's pretty impressive watching a 50 pound Small Munsterlander make full elk ribs disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    It's pretty impressive watching a 50 pound Small Munsterlander make full elk ribs disappear.
    You have a small Munster? Bet that cost you a pretty penny.
    Feeding game "meat", even scraps, to dogs or other domestics is illegal. If you read the regs you will find the terms............bone, hide, and viscera. I don't think meat scraps qualifies as "viscera".
    Wykee, I would suggest you speak with a vet about raw game meat. I have been told that most all game meat has taenia tapework cysts and the dog will get tape worms from raw game meat. I have first hand experience with this and have seen the worm segments hanging out the rear of the dog.
    You could just buy a de wormer, specific to tape worms, and use it regularly.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yes sir sir you are the expert. If can not aford to feed your dogs without begging , please get rid of them.
    d

Either you have never butchered meat, or you enjoy tendons, glands, blood, and hair more than most people.

I started feeding my dog my scraps this fall as well, and while it has cut down on the dog food, and I would imagine it is healthier for the dog as well. I did a bit of research before hand, and have not had any troubles. The dog doesn't complain either. I have not been cooking it though, just feeding it raw. Nearly all of it gets frozen, and then sawed up or chopped into chunks and tossed in the freezer. I give the dog one in the morning, and since it is frozen, keeps her busy for a while as well. Rib bones and other softer bones get fed as well. It's pretty impressive watching a 50 pound Small Munsterlander make full elk ribs disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You have a small Munster? Bet that cost you a pretty penny.
    Feeding game "meat", even scraps, to dogs or other domestics is illegal. If you read the regs you will find the terms............bone, hide, and viscera. I don't think meat scraps qualifies as "viscera".
    Wykee, I would suggest you speak with a vet about raw game meat. I have been told that most all game meat has taenia tapework cysts and the dog will get tape worms from raw game meat. I have first hand experience with this and have seen the worm segments hanging out the rear of the dog.
    You could just buy a de wormer, specific to tape worms, and use it regularly.
    Hey Martentrapper and hunter1951, thanks for the input guys. Just curious, do you guys actually eat the bloodshot meat, the sinew and tendons and the thin, brittle skin that forms on the outside of your meat when it's hanging on the bone? That's the stuff I'm talking about. Not the good meat that can be mixed up in the grinder to make burger and sausage. I would never think about using the good stuff to feed my dogs. Just the inedible scraps that most people I know throw in the trash.

Yes sir sir you are the expert. If can not aford to feed your dogs without begging , please get rid of them.
    d
    Wow, internet police are out in force. So you do, or do not eat the tendons and the bones and the bloodshot meat? When you use the bones for soup, does it soften them up enough to chew, or do you throw the bones out? That sounds wasteful. I cannot believe you would do something like that. I feed the bones to my dog.

Martentrapper, you trap marten? I heard those hides fetch a pretty penny. I'll bet a guy could afford a couple small munsterlanders with that sort of cash lying around the house

In all reality, I don't think they cost any more than a good lab or other breed. They are not as common in the United States, but I was looking for a dog that would retrieve ducks and geese, point upland, have a good fur drive, and be small enough to be a good house dog as well. I have not seen any tapeworms (I look), and I freeze the meat before I feed it to her. I thought about this beforehand, but she finds enough junk and dead things to eat when we are out that I figure she already has most of what she will get. I no longer live in AK, so I am not too concerned with the Alaska regulations. Anyway, cheers, keep it lighthearted fellas, and good luck with the meat quest Bushwack.

....have a good fur drive.....
    Hey buddy..... I have to ask what this means as I don't believe I've ever heard the term used before...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Fur drive is basically the desire to chase, hunt, kill, etc., anything with fur. In the Midwest that translates into mostly into rabbits, raccoons, possum, etc. If we are in the cattails for late season roosters and come across some raccoons, it is go time. Some dogs are more prone to feathers, and many are trained this way as well to avoid fur, but I like the adventure of a bonus coon fight every now and then. In Germany, where Small Munsterlanders are the #3 hunting dog, they run them on a lot of deer, fox, hogs, etc.

Fur drive is basically the desire to chase, hunt, kill, etc., anything with fur. In the Midwest that translates into mostly into rabbits, raccoons, possum, etc. If we are in the cattails for late season roosters and come across some raccoons, it is go time. Some dogs are more prone to feathers, and many are trained this way as well to avoid fur, but I like the adventure of a bonus coon fight every now and then. In Germany, where Small Munsterlanders are the #3 hunting dog, they run them on a lot of deer, fox, hogs, etc.
    OH ok....it means to actually GO AFTER fur. Yeah, from my neck o' the woods, you wouldn't dare have a devout bird dog hunt fur. Last thing a guy wants to do is have a dog chase a rabbit and be gone when hunting pheasants. I've heard of this and can understand wanting to put a coon in the pot too, but from where I grew up, the guy that couldn't keep his dog off of rabbits when hunting birds always took the brunt of the jokes.......lol.

Also, I was REAL glad my old chessie didn't bolt after the skunk that my buddy's golden did. Boy that was a nasty ride home......even in the Wrangler with the top down...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey Martentrapper and hunter1951, thanks for the input guys. Just curious, do you guys actually eat the bloodshot meat, the sinew and tendons and the thin, brittle skin that forms on the outside of your meat when it's hanging on the bone?
    I'm just telling you what is in the regs. Look it up, interpret it however you want, and do whatever you want. It certainly doesn't make sense to throw away crappy meat if a dog could eat it. But than, quite a few regs seem to not make sense.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!