Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What grain for Mountain Goat

Default What grain for Mountain Goat

I have been sighting in my 30-06 with 180 grain bullet for my goat hunt. This last weekend i went to get more and could not find 180 grain silver tips at Bass Pro and Cabelas. I ended up grabbing some 168 grain so i could shoot. Do you feel the 168's will do the job or do i need to stick with 180?

thank you

My buddy religiously uses 165 gr out of his 30-06 for sheep.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I should think you'd be fine. You're not going to see much of a difference in energy transfer between the two out to about 400 yds., about 100 ft. lbs. +-. If for peace of mind you want the 180's keep your eye out for just the regular 180 gr. Ballistic Tips. They're the same bullet as the SilverTip, just without the Lubilox coating.

If it were me though I might look into something more along the lines of a Partition. Don't get me wrong the new Ballistic Tips are great bullets, way more solid than the old ones; for my piece of mind personally I'd just want something a bit stouter in case of a shoulder punch, if the gun will shoot them well.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

they'll work. never seen animal shot that complained about a few grains. but have seen them complain about shot placement...don't sweat your ammo situation. sweat the shooting.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Goats aren't very big, so exact bullet weight from a 30-06 would hardly be critical. I got exits even with the much more fragile 168 berger from my -06. We used a couple .270 and .308 Partions too, and they just blew right through.

Quote Originally Posted by robwal1018 View Post
    I have been sighting in my 30-06 with 180 grain bullet for my goat hunt. This last weekend i went to get more and could not find 180 grain silver tips at Bass Pro and Cabelas. I ended up grabbing some 168 grain so i could shoot. Do you feel the 168's will do the job or do i need to stick with 180?

thank you
    168's will do fine a buddy used a 140 accubond on his goat with good results

I've heard that goats can/will do a suicide jump when shot. Therefore it's a good idea to anchor them to prevent them from jumping.

I used a .300 WM with 200 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw on mine. I would suggest the heavier of the two, with a premium bullet too.

Echoing what others are saying, you're fine with the 168's. My son and I shot one a few years ago with 168 TSX's out of a 30-06.

My daughter and I also each got goats last fall with 120grn TTSX's out of a 7mm-08.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    they'll work. never seen animal shot that complained about a few grains. but have seen them complain about shot placement...don't sweat your ammo situation. sweat the shooting.

Haha, you could just cut and paste this into every one of these weekly threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    My daughter and I also each got goats last fall with 120grn TTSX's out of a 7mm-08.
    Ditto. Hit where you aim, and aim where you want to hit. If you're not perfect, then once in a while your shot will be off a smidge. That's when you'll appreciate a high quality bullet. You'll have more gun than Doc and I shot our goats with, but it's good that you are thinking about good bullet construction. As mentioned, most any bullet will do fine with a double lung, but a goat's shoulder and tough demeanor will make you appreciate a premium bullet since that'll make a tougher path to the boiler room. Since I like Barnes TTSX, I'll mention I have the 168gr boat tail TTSX on my shelf for my 06. I started shooting 180gr partitions when I first got this rifle in 79' or 80', and my Dad reloaded for me. The 168 TTSX shoots flatter, mushrooms nicely, and holds more terminal weight that my partitions did. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I was gonna say 130 grain TSX 6.5x55.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have shot goats with my 7mm Barnes TSX 160 gr and seen other goats fall with my rifle, from 40 yards to 400 yards. All these goats either dropped on the spot or moved 50 yards after being hit, the key was a well placed shot on all of them.

My advice for goats is aim for the shoulder to DROP them and get ready for a second shot! They are very tough, have a strong will to survive and to add they are suicidal once they are hit near cliffs. Forget the classic lung shot aim if you don't want excessive fall damage.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    Ditto. Hit where you aim, and aim where you want to hit. As mentioned, most any bullet will do fine with a double lung, but a goat's shoulder and tough demeanor will make you appreciate a premium bullet since that'll make a tougher path to the boiler room. The 168 TTSX shoots flatter, mushrooms nicely, and holds more terminal weight that my partitions did.
    I handload TSX's and TTSX's for all my big game hunting up here...have for many years. 270's out of my 375H&H have been very effective for moose and brown bear, and 100's out of my 257WBY has done the job extremely well with spot and stalk spring black bear.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I was gonna say 130 grain TSX 6.5x55.
    THAT is a cartridge that has appealed to me many times...just might be a project down the road. That 130gr all copper bullet for the Swedish must be way long...does your rifle twist stabilize it well? Do you have a 7 twist?

Quote Originally Posted by Call of the wild View Post
    My advice for goats is aim for the shoulder to DROP them and get ready for a second shot! They are very tough, have a strong will to survive and to add they are suicidal once they are hit near cliffs. Forget the classic lung shot aim if you don't want excessive fall damage.
    That is extremely good advice.

Thank you all for the advise. I am more of a bow hunter but have gotten into rifles since moving to Alaska. All i ever heard was how tough these goats are so i had to ask the questions. I really do thank you all for the great advice.

I have shot 4 goats. All with 165 grain bullets. 3 of them fell to the .06 and 1 to a .300 mag. Billies are much larger than nannies and can take more punishment. My brother, cousin, and I all took large billies in the early 90's that made the book. I was surprised at their size. I shot one off the end of Tustemena . I was above it. Shot him right in the head. Was already making a plan on how to get to him. He straightened his legs out, and off the edge he went. Seemed like he rolled forever. Couldn't see him for a bit, just hear the racket. Finally he rolls to a stop on a shale slide. Took several hours of hiking around the long way to get to him.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I took my billy with my .30-06, 165 grain accubond.
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

Don't be fooled. The right goat can soak lead like crazy. Seen one take three from a 375 before he gave it up. Other times they just like up. Saw one shot with a 25-'06 and you couldn't even tell it got hit. It got hit a lot needless to say.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I killed but one goat. 175 yards, downhill, quartering away.

Bullet hit the rearward-most rib, transected the torso and came to rest in the last layer of brisket muscle on the off side, just above the sternum.

I bullet: 30.06 165 grain TBBC

Goat took 3 steps and fell over dead. YMMV
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I understand corn is the preferred grain..

with oats a close second

Chris

168 gr '06 is more than enough. Goats are pretty much slab sided and the magnums and heavier wt bullets tent to shoot right thru them. The most impressive DRT goats kills I have witnessed have been with Nosler Partitions from a 270. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast