Thread: Char tips

Default Char tips

I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on catching arctic char through the ice. I caught pike and rainbows but never seem to get char. Any tips on depth, bait, lure or time of day is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on catching arctic char through the ice. I caught pike and rainbows but never seem to get char. Any tips on depth, bait, lure or time of day is appreciated.
    Where have you been fishing for them? They are not difficult to catch. If you've caught rainbows and pike through the ice, char shouldn't be all that different. I've caught most of my char through the same hole that I've caught rainbows. Using the same bait and same lures. Sometimes char can be found deeper in certain lakes, but usually I'd say they are in the same spots as the rainbows. I caught my biggest one this year (10 lbs. and 26 inches long) in about 2-3 feet of water using a jig with shrimp.

I've been to Sand Lake, Finger and Lucille so far this year. F&G says they are in there maybe just not a lot compared to trout population or not good lakes. Any recommendations?

The big char that F&G put in are low in numbers. 100 in Finger lake, 81 in Sand lake and no record of char stocked in Lucille. The stocking numbers have declined over the past few years, probably dependent on what they have on hand when it's time to stock.

For Stocking reports and lake info, F&G puts up the info here.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've been to Sand Lake, Finger and Lucille so far this year. F&G says they are in there maybe just not a lot compared to trout population or not good lakes. Any recommendations?
    Echo Lake is full of char.

Sand Lake is loaded with them. Concentrate your efforts in 17-20 feet. Fish near the bottom in the early mornings. Things will pick up as we move through February. Good cured eggs help the bite this time of year.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Any size to the fish in sand lake

Never fished Sand Lake. There are char in Finger Lake, but there are so many landlocked salmon in there it can be difficult to catch anything else. Lucille has nice sized rainbows in there but I do not believe there are any char in there. I will send you a pm with a list of some lakes to try.

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    Any size to the fish in sand lake
    ADF&G put the brood (spawner) char in Sand every fall. These fish can push 30 inches. The average size of the "catchable" char at the time of stocking is 9-10 inches. The few catchables that holdover for two, three, or more years will be in the 19-23+ inch range.

I would guess the biggest problem you are having is the lakes you are fishing. Lucille is zero for char; any char in there would be natives that get there from Lucille Creek. Finger Lake you will want to fish contours coming from deep water to shallow; they may be anywhere from the bottom of the drop to the top. Fishing char in deep water, 30-80 ft, good graphics are very important. If your lure is at 40 foot and a fish cruises through at 12, you will never know it without a good flasher. Go with a flasher type finder rather than a scroller, as the lag time on a scroller can cause you to miss the fish.

Bought a Marcum lx-3tci. Worked great last weekend at finger lake. Whats the best bait for char to deter rainbows? Cured roe is only bringing in rainbows

Thank you bushwhack jack

bigger lures. we use 3 inch tube jigs and big aero jigs. Still may get a couple rainbows but they will be worth catching atleast.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Whats the best bait for char?
    Try no bait
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

The preferred bait for char will vary from lake to lake and from week to week. The lake we fished this weekend the char preferred eggs over shrimp 5:1. We also tried dozens of different jigs, spoons, and plastics. A small white tube jig tipped with eggs fished just off the bottom ended up out producing everything else combined. They did not want anything large. This could have been due to the high pressure day on Saturday. Other lakes on other days shrimp may out fish roe 5:1. The point is, bring a variety of bait and lures and just alter your approach a little. As been mentioned, concentrate your efforts in deeper water for char (19-24 ft works for me), be there during sunup for the morning bite, focus your efforts near the bottom in the morning and adjust throughout the day. As others have mentioned, electronics are a huge game changer. If I'm not marking char on my flasher in ten minutes, I'll move a few feet. Later this month and into March, the char will become much more aggressive and I'll start switching over to larger rubber baitfish lures and tube jigs with no need for bait.

Re: Sand Lake -- has anyone successfully caught any of the 26"+ char that were reportedly stocked in November?

I've only managed to pull small landlocks and rainbows out of that lake.

Quote Originally Posted by TTSS View Post
    Re: Sand Lake -- has anyone successfully caught any of the 26"+ char that were reportedly stocked in November?

A few in December were caught.

Quote Originally Posted by TTSS View Post

I caught one of those big nasty frankenfish. Almost exactly 26" long and about 10 lbs. But, it wasn't from Sand lake. It came out of another lake that F & G Stocked.

Wow 26 inch 10 lbs wow must of been Phat as hell
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.