Thread: Harlequin on the Peninsula?

Default Harlequin on the Peninsula?

Just curious to know if anyone has chased Harlequin on the Kenai during early season?? Ive found a couple of spots I think would be successful, just wanted to see if anyone here has had any luck.

I'm sure you'll find a few on the Kenai. I've seen them up the Russian during nesting/brood/sockeye season. By the time they have winter plumage, though, I'd expect you will have to hunt the salt.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Yeah, I float the Upper Kenai all summer long and I see them all the time. That's pretty much what I've figured, thank you for your help!

Salt is your best bet. They love to hang out close to rock. A buddies wife painted up a few old mallard decoys to look like harleys. We set em in a pair close in to rock and they can't stay away from em.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I'm going to have to try this, thank you so much. I don't need to know exact locations but just curious was this on the Peninsula? I'm just not looking to fly out anywhere this year. If you don't want to share, I completely understand! Thank you for the help!!
    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Salt is your best bet. They love to hang out close to rock. A buddies wife painted up a few old mallard decoys to look like harleys. We set em in a pair close in to rock and they can't stay away from em.
    "Arise, kill and eat."
    Acts 10:13

yep..anywhere out of Whittier or Homer will produce one. Pretty easy to decoy and hunt. Hunting and setting up near rocks or points are your best bet. Maybe we can hook up next winter and help ya out...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by txsuddethak View Post
    I'm going to have to try this, thank you so much. I don't need to know exact locations but just curious was this on the Peninsula? I'm just not looking to fly out anywhere this year. If you don't want to share, I completely understand! Thank you for the help!!
    I've yet to put a set up out of any salt harbor I launched out of and not had at least one come in. They are gorgeous birds in plumage and if I had the money I would mount a dozen of em. Just keep the deeks tight to the shore/rocks (no more than 25 yds typically), a black decoy will work but not nearly as well as a properly painted harly decoy, and they will come.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Yes sir, thank you for the help! That would be incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    yep..anywhere out of Whittier or Homer will produce one. Pretty easy to decoy and hunt. Hunting and setting up near rocks or points are your best bet. Maybe we can hook up next winter and help ya out...
    "Arise, kill and eat."

That's really encouraging! I'm really looking forward to getting into some Alaska waterfowl more!

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I've yet to put a set up out of any salt harbor I launched out of and not had at least one come in. They are gorgeous birds in plumage and if I had the money I would mount a dozen of em. Just keep the deeks tight to the shore/rocks (no more than 25 yds typically), a black decoy will work but not nearly as well as a properly painted harly decoy, and they will come.
    "Arise, kill and eat."