Thread: Bird hunting enthusiast

Default Bird hunting enthusiast

Hello all, new to the site, wanted to throw some things out there and see if I can get some advice or direction. I am an Alaskan resident, live in ER for about 2 years now. I love to bird hunt, however I have come to find that hunting in AK is far different from what I'm use to (understatement!) I am out just about every weekend on the hunt for grouse an Ptarmigan and have had very little success in 1) locating birds and 2) finding friends as crazy as I am about hunting; everyone I meet seems disinterested. Therefore am I am asking 2 questions, 1) would anyone be so kind as to give me some advice on locating birds? It would be more than appreciated! 2) is there anyone out there who would like to meet up for a hunt with another bird hunter? This time of year offers little aside from birds and I just love being out there! To meet some like minded people would be awesome! I love my state and treat it with great care and respect! A PM or a response to the topic would be great y'all! Thanks!

During winter look under spruce trees or up in the branches of birch or find a nice willow patch that runs near a creek bed. I have my best luck on days that are a little warmer. I lived in ER myself for several years before moving to the interior. My recommendation is to get away from the city as far as possible. Your best bet for being close is maybe in the willow area or the Jim creek area. Both get hit hard however. I found that hunting gets much better when you get about 2.5 to 3 hrs out of Anchorage.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

It's easy to find grouse in early season near Cooper Landing. Mystery Creek rd at mile 64 is a very popular spot but if you're looking at taking some almost guaranteed thats an easy place to go! But also any gravel roads that are off the beaten path are great places to grab a few birds. I'm fairly new to Alaska and am still searching out places to go get some ptarmigan!
    Quote Originally Posted by joelash View Post
    Hello all, new to the site, wanted to throw some things out there and see if I can get some advice or direction. I am an Alaskan resident, live in ER for about 2 years now. I love to bird hunt, however I have come to find that hunting in AK is far different from what I'm use to (understatement!) I am out just about every weekend on the hunt for grouse an Ptarmigan and have had very little success in 1) locating birds and 2) finding friends as crazy as I am about hunting; everyone I meet seems disinterested. Therefore am I am asking 2 questions, 1) would anyone be so kind as to give me some advice on locating birds? It would be more than appreciated! 2) is there anyone out there who would like to meet up for a hunt with another bird hunter? This time of year offers little aside from birds and I just love being out there! To meet some like minded people would be awesome! I love my state and treat it with great care and respect! A PM or a response to the topic would be great y'all! Thanks!
    "Arise, kill and eat."
    Acts 10:13

Thanks a lot! I kind of got ahead of myself and didn't read all the other threads first. I've read them since I posted this and got some great info. I think I've been hunting too low, need to get a little higher up. I've put miles and miles in the woods and the only places I've seen birds thus far is Willow, but usually right on the road. I've done a ton of reading on grouse habits and foods etc, and been putting in the time to find the right spots, but I think y'all are right, I need to get further away from the city. I don't have a snow go so can only go so far in a day. I will check out the spots you recommend, I really appreciate the help!