Thread: Voyager 550 review

Default Voyager 550 review

Considering a new utility sled. Will basically use as an all around sled with occasionally pulling a heavy load. Anyone have experience with the 550 voyager? Enough power? Pros and cons you,ve experienced? Thx

I just picked one up this fall. Actually, I got the Adventure 155" - it's the exact same as the Voyaguer, but with the removable 2-up seat. I've only got one trip and ~75 miles on mine, so my review might not be worth much - but so far I'm super happy with it. I have the same intended uses that you mention, and it seems to fit the bill as well or better than anything else out there.

I've had mine for just over a year now, maybe 1200 miles. Zero problems with the sled. There's no other 550 that drives as easily as this one. I ride with guys who have the tundra LT and also the summit 550. Voyager is significantly better than the LT, and will climb as well as the summit. Suspension is Cush, clutching seems solid, and mine has spent it's life tractoring through alders and dinking around on skinny trails without breaking anything. A small action packer fits perfectly in the rear rack, which is a nice bonus!

The negative things I've noticed are terrible gas consumption (9 mpg) and the sled isn't great at backing up. It's a 550, so 9 mpg is not unheard of, but it's still a hassle on longer trips. The motor runs great and starts even when cold though.

Without an articulating rear skid the backup situation is just not great. Does fine on trails of course, but it likes to dig in more than some others.

If I'm being picky, I'd say I'm not sold on the track either. I wish it had more of a paddle, and could take screws better.

I would totally recommend the voyager as a utility sled. Cheap, fun, and rugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 550 motor has been out for like 16-17 years now. It's a solid motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default I bought a 144" in 2014

It has been a good sled, very comfortable to ride. I always used to be sore after day's of riding and not so much on this machine. I would love to be able to tell you how it does in the deep snow but I have not had that opportunity. I have made a few changes to stock that I really like. I added the extreme heavy duty bumper for mowing down alders, skid plate. the extra tall windsheild that only adds 4" of height and no width but is a little warmer when it is below 0. The rack bag is very nice for hauling stuff with out having to tie it all down. I use a soft scabbard that rides very well and keeps the rifle handy and safe. I installed a GPS mount and cig lighter connection to power my hand held GPS. I am only at 600 miles sadly but it is one of the most comfortable machines I have ridden.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default One more

One more pic of GPS
    DSCF3524.jpg

Thx TB. Is the power sufficient? I am thinking of the 155 with the articulating rear rails.

I've been driving a RMK 700 for years ( great machine) with no reverse but always loved the power. Now I'm older, and looking for something more comfortable and with better suspension, able to pull a full sled occasionally and yet enjoy a good midnight ride if I get a wild hair!

Probably need to test drive one.

Yeah
    I sold my 700 in 2104 for this machine and struggled with the 550 decision but do not regret the fan 550 it is plenty of power for what I do with one any more. I too am older and the way I ride has changed. That long one is more track to turn and I would guess they have geared down some for that length. My 144 stays on top so much better than my old 136" 700 that it doesn't require as much power. I sure like not having to try and keep it cool during hard and spring conditions. I am nut a hill climber anymore so the 550 fan serves me well.

Was out a couple of weekends ago with a friend who picked up a brand new Voyageur 155. 4 days busting trail etc.
    I wouldn't say it's "significantly" better than a Tundra LT, just different. It has better trail manners with the A arms, but that makes it wider with the A arms hanging out there.
    Seemed to be about par with the Tundra 550 with respect to mileage. If I had to choose, the Voyageur might be a bit quieter? Gearing seemed very good. Wind shield coverage sucks compared to the higher Tundra offerings. It comes with an odometer, and the Tundra doesn't, and that's a bonus.
    My buddy put a big crack on the driven side panel. The little thumb screws Poo uses to sure the panels kind of suck compared to the Tundras panels.
    Both need longer snow flaps to prevent snow from being thrown into your skimmer.
    No way either sled will climb better than a Summit, or any other liquid cooled mountain sled for that matter.
    After the 4 days, the verdict was that it's a Tundra LT 550 with A arms. Pick your poison, both solid utility sleds, with the Poo being a bit less cash wise.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.