Thread: Greetings... Been around but new to this forum

Default Greetings... Been around but new to this forum

Howdy! I am not new to this site, but am new to this forum. So, re-introductions are in order. I recently acquired a PA 22/20 from the Seattle area and currently waiting for weather and daylight to bring it up. I have been enjoying this forum for a while, gaining knowledge and wisdom, and entertained by some of the drama! So, I figure, while I don't have much to add as a novice, I would at least officially climb aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    Howdy! I am not new to this site, but am new to this forum. So, re-introductions are in order. I recently acquired a PA 22/20 from the Seattle area and currently waiting for weather and daylight to bring it up. I have been enjoying this forum for a while, gaining knowledge and wisdom, and entertained by some of the drama! So, I figure, while I don't have much to add as a novice, I would at least officially climb aboard.

Welcome aboard, afrench. When you fly up from Seattle, I trust you'll be flying the overland route through Canada . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

Welcome aboard, afrench. When you fly up from Seattle, I trust you'll be flying the overland route through Canada . . .
    My first plan is for the Trench route; alternative is Plains route through Ft Nelson. However I am not totally discounting the coastal route if the weather and outlook are accommodating.

Welcome aboard! Keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times! Just for safety! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Welcome aboard. I've brought two aircraft up from the lower 48. The first time the entire area of Canada was IFR except a very narrow swath along the coast. Because everyone had said not to fly up the coast I waited in Victoria for two days waiting for it to clear but it didn't so I flew up the coastal route. I got fuel in Port Hardy and Price Rupert, then made Ketchikan for the night. It was a fantastic flight and I'm glad I did it, just not a lot of options to land on the way. The second time it was the coastal route that was down so I came up thru the interior route, but not the highway. I was delayed in Abbotsford and ended up getting stuck in Smithers, BC for the night, which turned into four days because of weather. That was the best part of the trip though because it was during the winter Olympics and about the time I landed Canada had just lost to Sweden. The entire town was angry and I spent the next four days cheering for Canada in the sports bar to survive.
    Enjoy the trip up.

I have made the trip both ways a few times. Wheels and floats. Both inland and the coastal route. Have had nice trips on both and nightmares on both. Freak snowstorms inland and bad winds with giant waves along the coast. Just watch the weather and wait of a good time to scoot.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Sounds like an adventure! I hope you will post lots of pictures from the flight up! Good luck and fly safe!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I have brought two tri-pacers up. Ran the numbers on the trench both times. Both times went Fort St John, Ft Nelson instead. Not worth biting your nails unless you have additional fuel over stock 36 gallons. My two cents. Have fun. Be careful.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    I have brought two tri-pacers up. Ran the numbers on the trench both times. Both times went Fort St John, Ft Nelson instead. Not worth biting your nails unless you have additional fuel over stock 36 gallons. My two cents. Have fun. Be careful.
    Thanks! Sound advice. I also ran the numbers and it is indeed too close for comfort. However with 10 gallons in the back and a quick stop at Ft. Ware (if plowed that is) it makes the route very doable. I know that the St. John/Nelson route really doesn't add a substantial amount to time to the trip and the highway is a great security blanket.

So, we are keeping the options open but will definitely choose the path of wisdom. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

The giant lake(s) between MacKenzie and Watson Lake that make up the trench route, often has some bizarre winds in the winter. And it is a whole bunch of lonesome in the frozen or worse semi-frozen months. Nothing like seeing nothing except snowflakes the size of poker chips, with a 30kt headwind on that route. When there is still snow on the ground I like the Oroville WA, Pentictin-Customs, Kamloops, Williams Lake, Prince George, ( thru Piney Pass) Fort St John, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, White Horse, Northway or Tok route. Lots of gas, lots of places to eat and stay when the weather turns bad. The trench route is very pretty in the warmer months, and it is a hoot on floats or amphibs.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The giant lake(s) between MacKenzie and Watson Lake that make up the trench route, often has some bizarre winds in the winter. And it is a whole bunch of lonesome in the frozen or worse semi-frozen months. Nothing like seeing nothing except snowflakes the size of poker chips, with a 30kt headwind on that route. When there is still snow on the ground I like the Oroville WA, Pentictin-Customs, Kamloops, Williams Lake, Prince George, ( thru Piney Pass) Fort St John, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, White Horse, Northway or Tok route. Lots of gas, lots of places to eat and stay when the weather turns bad. The trench route is very pretty in the warmer months, and it is a hoot on floats or amphibs.
    Again, sound advice and great wisdom! Well received. Cheers.