Thread: Want To Know How To Do Benchrest Quality Work?

Default Want To Know How To Do Benchrest Quality Work?

Just finished watching Greg Tannels' series of videos on how to accurize a Rem 700 receiver, bush a bolt, align a tailstock ect. Best thing is: he explains why, how, then actually does it while you watch.

Wish he would put one out on threading and chambering barrels and making dies.

http://gretanrifles.com/
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Where is that video located? I'm not finding it on the website.

Go to website, then "tooling", then look at the dropdrown for "DVD's".
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Interesting this subject popped up. I just finished chambering my first one yesterday. I've been practicing measuring, turning, threading, and boring for the last couple of months. Lots and lots of YouTube's out there. It's kind of like anything else though, sift through a lot of it to glean something you can use. There are many ways to skin a cat, and in terms of gunsmithing, often times the one doing the talking has the best and only way. In truth, the tolerances for barrel chambering are not all that extreme compared to many things that are turned out on a lathe. Best thing is a mentor, but as many of us who post here live in the bush, that's not always possible.

"There are many ways to skin a cat, and in terms of gunsmithing, often times the one doing the talking has the best and only way. In truth, the tolerances for barrel chambering are not all that extreme compared to many things that are turned out on a lathe."

Wow. Way to say, "just watch some Youtube." If that's what you think....good for you, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Default Want To Know How To Do Benchrest Quality Work?

I don't understand your reply, perhaps I didn't communicate well. Do you do bench rest quality work? Heck, I'll take any pointers I can get. There are quite a few of the more well known folks out there showing their stuff. I don't doubt Gregs videos are really good.

Certainly wasn't trying to belittle your vids. Sorry if it came off that way.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I don't understand your reply, perhaps I didn't communicate well. Do you do bench rest quality work? Heck, I'll take any pointers I can get. There are quite a few of the more well known folks out there showing their stuff. I don't doubt Gregs videos are really good.

Certainly wasn't trying to belittle your vids. Sorry if it came off that way.
    Actually, it was belittling Greg's work as you haven't seen his flicks. If you go to 6mmbrforum.com and click on "gunsmiths", he is one of the very few who are recommended by the website. The cream of the crop those guys are.

No, I do not do benchrest quality work. I will though. Bought my property last year. It only takes time and money...about $25k + shipping.

Again, not my intention. Sorry. My point is there's lots of info out there. Some is free, and worth the price. Other is sound.

Good luck with your project.