Thread: Trapping Bristol Bay

Default Trapping Bristol Bay

Trapping the Bay this year has been a blast we have had wonderful conditions. It is 40 degrees this morning and the wind is blowing 20 out of the SE the 2 inches of snow we got two days ago is gone and we are back to checking traps on this

This is where my main river crossing usually is in Feb the brush in the far distance is the start of my main line. Needless to say I am not getting there this year as the temps just aren't cold enough with the big tide swings to freeze things up.
    I am able to run a limited amount of sets on this side of the river but not many its pretty brutal and real hard on suspensions and slides

I have managed to pick up a little bit of fur. I am currently dealing with s family of coyotes
    OF course there are always a few beaver to be found

A banner day on a year like this

and some otter as well

In the end it is about trying as best one can to enjoy doing what I do to make ends meet
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Nice update Otterman. Seems like there are lots of challenges this year, but yours certainly seem extreme. Riding on that ground has to be rough on the body too. Thx for taking the time to share.
    ARR

Right on Todd, but I the pics arn't showing up for me. Glad you getting out. Man conditions have been bad this year..

Hum Steve got me wondering if anyone can see them

Pics show up on my iPhone, Otterman. Good job!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Pics show up fine on the computer too. Can't help but wonder what this summer's going to be like if we don't get any more snow this year...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

No problem here seeing the pics! Tough looking terrain - nice looking furs...
    I wonder how many people will have to abandon their dreams if the fur industry would fold up and have to move to a source of jobs? Future looks pretty mucky right now...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey I hear you there I'm fortunate my wife sews with 90% of my fur and the income though not large is enough to help pay the bills.These dry winters though our really hurting us. I have not been able to cross the river to my main line the last three year. The only god thing about that is no one else has been able to get there either