Thread: Stocking Foot Chest waders or Waist High Waders

Default Stocking Foot Chest waders or Waist High Waders

Going on a boat hunt for Brown Bear in May. Outfitter recommends stocking foot chest waders or waist high waders,either simms or Cabela's brand. I heard good things about the waist high waders as far as comfort and accessibility. What do you guys think?

Waist high waders are the fix.

Another vote for waist high. Not sure I would spend the $$$ for Simms if they were only to go back to NC and hang in the garage for the rest of their lifetime. Perfectly serviceable option for around $100 from Frogg Togg and others.

Quote Originally Posted by happytobeinAK View Post
    Another vote for waist high. Not sure I would spend the $$$ for Simms if they were only to go back to NC and hang in the garage for the rest of their lifetime. Perfectly serviceable option for around $100 from Frogg Togg and others.
    I hear you. But I do a bunch of fly fishing down here in the Spring. I have a cheap set of waders that I bought several years ago so I don't mind upgrading to a better brand. I guess that throws a wrinkle in the decision as they would also be a set of waders for fly fishing after this trip.

Waist Highs Yepper! The Frogg Togg are not bad as well as Pro Line and or Caddis brands. I have used Orvis as well liked them all to be honest. Getting in and out of a Raft and or Cataraft 50-100 times a day takes its toll on things they all seem to last about two seems prior to pin hole leaks in the knees. Average use for the average person without that abuse thinking good 5-7 years of use from all brands IMO.

Best of luck with your choice!

Waist highs for sure, but there's a reason for the stocking feet with good lace-up boots (no felt): If you have to walk through mud to get to or from the skiff (very likely at the heads of bays), the mud will suck boot-foot waders right off your feet. BTDT, and you don't fare too well with your foot up around the knee of the wader while the boot is still stuck in the mud.

The only reason (that I could think of) to choose chest high over waist highs would be if you do any float tube fishing at home. If that were the case, I'd go with the chest highs.

Quote Originally Posted by happytobeinAK View Post
    Unless Frogg Togg has changed since they first came out, they won't make it through the first major alder thicket.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Guess I differ. I say chest highs. I often just roll them down. Always use a belt w mine. No problem. Why give up the ability/option to wade deep? Makes no sense to me.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Guess I differ. I say chest highs. I often just roll them down. Always use a belt w mine. No problem. Why give up the ability/option to wade deep? Makes no sense to me.
    Have to agree with Cod here. More versatile to just buy the chest waders and roll them down with a belt when you're not deep but have the ability to get through those deeper spots if need be. I'd vote for Simms products all the way. Even their lower end stuff beats the hell out of Hodgeman/Caddis etc. Get a pair of G3's and while they're spendy you'll most likely never have to buy another pair with non-guide type use; especially since if they start to leak you can send them back and they'll repair them for you for a pretty small fee.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

I've never used waist-high waders, so I can't speak to that. But chest waders offer excellent ventilation out of the upper end, and if you're wearing a regular rain jacket, you don't have to worry about getting wet. I don't know that a rain jacket would be quite long enough to cover you if you were sitting on the spotting hill in waist-high waders.

On the down side, if you've been eating a lot of freeze-dried foods or other stuff that gives you gas, there's only one direction for the aroma to go...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

On the down side, if you've been eating a lot of freeze-dried foods or other stuff that gives you gas, there's only one direction for the aroma to go...

-Mike
    ALWAYS wear a wader belt!

It could save your life.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I have used them both. I think its mostly a preference thing. I like the waist highs to get in or out of and to turn them inside out to dry is a little easier after hiking for hours and sweating them up. I overheat in chest highs if hiking. I have had good luck with the Simms and Cabelas waist highs and their warranty is best if needed

as i posted in the other website, chest waders, roll them down is handy, the pocket is handy, holds binoculars handy, gives you options, are comfortable and keep you even drier when its raining out if you some reason forgot your rain coat...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I wear, and I recommend to my hunters to wear chest waders with stocking feet, and a lace-up boots.
    The preference for chest high is so that all you then need is a rain jacket to go over the top and you are then nearly bombproof. With waist high I think your are more likely to get wet. And forget the hip boots, your butt will get wet for sure.
    I'm my experience your feet will stay warmer in lace-ups; the neoprene are too tight imo.

If you are short, most waist high waders are not waist high. Mine end up just below my arm pits, only an inch or two below where chest waders end up. You need to try them on to see which model or brand fits. You will spend a lot of time sitting, so make sure they are comfortable for that. If you have a belly only a few brands offer stout sizing.

The breathable thing is also kind of bogus. I always wear synthetic clothes if I plan on being in my waders all day and working hard.