Thread: Zodiacs/Rafts now required for passenger boats

Default Zodiacs/Rafts now required for passenger boats

Can someone clarify what "other classes of passenger vessels" means in the below article? Trying to define what recreational vessels must now have life rafts on them.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160130/...-time-15-years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just another nail in the coffin by the gov't to put all small boat fishermen out of business !! Check the regs because state registered boats follow different regs than documented vessels. So now a guy fishing out of a already crowded skiff will have to have a inflatable raft in a hard canister on the boat(valise style not allowed) not to mention all the price gouging that the suppliers will be doing due to the rush to comply with the new rules, then the added costs of scam of having to have the rafts repacked every year. NMFS and NOAA SUCK.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Here is all 21 pgs of the USCG policy letter on this new law. After a quick read, it appears that it only affects commercial vessels operating more than 3 nm offshore that were already required to carry rafts.

http://www.uscg.mil/d13/cfvs/PDFs/HQ...05SurCraft.pdf
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Sounds like maybe all charter boats will be included under the (other passenger vessels) to me.

Default Zodiacs/Rafts now required for passenger boats

Read the last page21. Line 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Read the last page21. Line 8.
    Spoil Sport!!!! You just had to go and blow heck out of guys' favorite rant, didn't you!

Talk about launching themselves without reading.

Here's what line 8 on that last page has to say:

8. If the vessel is less than 36 feet in length and meets the flotation provisions of 33 CFR Part 183, a survival craft is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Spoil Sport!!!! You just had to go and blow heck out of guys' favorite rant, didn't you!
    Talk about launching themselves without reading.

Here's what line 8 on that last page has to say:
    I read most of the paper and from what I can understand I couldn't find anywhere that charter/commercial or sport was separate from these regulations. Page 21 line 8 states that vessels under 36ft in length are exempt however lines 1-8 are notes to the above table and applies to cold waters inside 3nm off shore. The way I am reading this and I'm not a lawyer is that all vessels outside of 3nm from shore will require an inflatable device regardless of size.
    So an 18ft Willie boat 3 miles off shore of deep Creek will now be required to carry an inflatable boat on board.
    I hate the way things are written when it deals with the government. It should read, this is the reg this is who it refers to. And get rid of all that extra garbage added in there to confuse people.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I read most of the paper and from what I can understand I couldn't find anywhere that charter/commercial or sport was separate from these regulations. Page 21 line 8 states that vessels under 36ft in length are exempt however lines 1-8 are notes to the above table and applies to cold waters inside 3nm off shore. The way I am reading this and I'm not a lawyer is that all vessels outside of 3nm from shore will require an inflatable device regardless of size.
    So an 18ft Willie boat 3 miles off shore of deep Creek will now be required to carry an inflatable boat on board.
    I hate the way things are written when it deals with the government. It should read, this is the reg this is who it refers to. And get rid of all that extra garbage added in there to confuse people.

Found what I was looking for. Page 2, 3b