Thread: Safir 7 vs AO Igloo

Default Safir 7 vs AO Igloo

I'm just kicking around ideas for now. I'm not trying to start a brand war by any means as I own an AO Artika and I love it!
    That being said, the Safir 7 by mansfield outdoors looks like a great tent and I have my eye on it. The big draw for me is the space compared to the weight while remaining warm at the same time. I am thinking it would be great for a float hunt. Has anyone slept in both of these tents? If so, do you like one over the other? Please let us all know what you think as far as pro's and con's of the tipi vs the tent.

AO Igloo
    - 37#
    - 79 SF
    - 2-3 people with cots (i assume, in fall winter)
    - Pack size- 27"x 22"x 18"
    - Vestibule- 22SF
    Price $1795

I'm pretty sure this tent is bulletproof as everything from AK tent is top notch

SAFIR 7
    - 24#
    - Unsure of the livable SF due to the side angle of the tipi
    - It claims enough room for 6-8 people but that is from sleeping on the ground vs on cots
    - Pack size 26" long 10.5" diameter
    - No vestibule
    - Price $2276

The draw to the tipi for me is the ease of set up and weight. I understand that it probably would be a bit difficult to keep up on some gravel bars.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

MTP
    Take a look at the other Tipi companies. Kifaru, TI G , Seek Outside, all lighter and cheaper. Some offer 12 man Tipi also.

Are they as warm?
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Are they as warm?
    They won't hold heat like a double walled AO but you outfit them with a stove and they're pretty hard to beat IMO.

I've never been in a Safir, but I own an Igloo and stayed in an Artika a few times. I'm not sure I would buy the igloo, if I already owned the Artika. The Igloo is a bit smaller, but you could sleep 3 with a stove. I don't use cots, so I can't testify that 3 cots would fit.

I'll add that I recently upgraded from the trekker stove to a two dog model, and I cannot believe I waited so long to do so. I'm impressed with the extended burn time and temperature control. It does weigh a lot more, but my snowmachine doesn't mind pulling it around.

For a float hunt, I would go with a SeekOutside or the like. The 8 man could easily sleep 3 with a stove. The same friend who owns the Artika owns that SO8. For summer and fall, he uses the SO. For winter, the Artika. I'm not sure anything beats an Arctic Oven for winter camping, but the weakness of the AO is the size and weight. The Seek style will provide plenty of warmth and dryness for a float hunt, and it will be very easy to pack up. Depending on the size of your party and where you're floating, I'd shy away from anything larger than the 8 man simply due to pitch size. Finding a 20 ft diameter spot where I'm at can be nearly impossible.

On a side note, I had AK Tent and Tarp sew in a Velcro floor for ice fishing, and I've been impressed with it.