Thread: Aviation pioneer Layton Bennett dies at 96

Default Aviation pioneer Layton Bennett dies at 96

Layton taught Duncan Gilchrist to fly when Duncan started guiding and gave the fiery redhead a pair that just kept growing. One more of the great is gone. Layton lost his pilot license at 91 and was mad because wife then got to do all the flying at 90. Layton started by flying the pipeline from Tok to Fort Seward in Haines during WWII and built it into the largest independent owned airlines but kids blew it when he retired. Up and away my friend.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My Father in Law was great friends with Layton. I love to hear all the different stories he has about Layton and flying with him.

Haines has gone through some great bear guides and pilots. Some of their 100' landing strips turns your stomach just looking at them. If the landing ain't bad enough the falling over the cliff take off is sure to get ya. Layton,Duncan and Ron Martin,what a crew.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Would that be the namesake of LAB flight service? A good friend of mine flew for that company with a few other young pilots in the late 1980's.
    Sounds like he contributed a lot to aviation and Alaska.

Yep LAB and all his planes have been sitting for years at Juneau and Sitka. Every winter he would go to California to the bigger flight schools and offer the top pilots a chance to fly for him to get hours. They had to pay him to fly but got their hours needed.