Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911

Default Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911

I currently have or have owned a Dan Wesson Pointman7, Colt GoldCup, Colt Commander, Sig Nightmare, Ruger SR1911, a couple of Kimbers and even owned a couple clunkers that looked liked 1911s on the outside but were anything but on the inside.

Recently I picked up a Desert Eagle 1911c in like new condition. I have put 500 rounds through it and absolutely love it. It is probably the tightest 1911 that I have ever owned and though very tight some times hurts function, this little Isreal made 1911 eats everything that it's fed. The 1911s have always been the most accurate semi autos when I was the guy pulling the trigger. Yesterday afternoon I took my Blackhawk 44 and the DE-1911c out for a shoot. I was very surprised when the groups from the 45 @ 25 yards were equal to my best hunting load shot in the 44 Blackhawk. I have never shot that well with a gun purchased for the purpose of CC.

I ran out to Brownells and picked up a set of night sights and installed them before yesterday's shoot. Last night when I turned out the bedroom light it was the DE 1911's sights that were shining on my night stand. I'm pretty sure I heard the sound of whimpering coming from my dresser drawer where the dethroned FNS-40 spent the night. It's not alone though as there is a 40 cal Glock 22 in that drawer too......somewhere.

Is it made in Israel or Ruger build to their specs like the BFR
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Is it made in Israel or Ruger build to their specs like the BFR
    Ruger builds for DE?
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Yep Ruger makes all the BFR parts. That's why they jumped in with the 480/454 SBH's,they worked for BFR so why not make some money also.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Didn't realize that, pretty neat. If the 1911 is a Ruger build I wonder if there is a noticeable quality difference between the Ruger and Israeli built versions?
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

No they are made by Bul Ltd in Isreal. Same outfit that was making the high quality Charles Daley 1911s. I've heard tell that Charles Daley's wanted to renew their contract but BUL Ltd got a much better contract from Magnum Research. They are however a series 70 1911. This one has perfect slide fit, a large beavertail and the front of the barrel fits as tight as the Les Baers that I have messed with.

On another related subject. I sold my motercycle and put the money in my gun kitty. I am drooling all over a Nighthawk long slide Heinie model in 10mm. I have never spent that kind of jingle on a hand gun in my life. It runs against the grain on my conservative way of doing stuff. When I think about all of the starving little kids around the world that that money could help then I walk away. However all those commercials that run parallel to the starving children ones that are competing for the same funds only to feed scrawny cats and dogs makes me sick. There is a difference betwixt a starving child and a starving feline or mut even though Hollywood isn't smart enough to know the difference. Man old EKC's brain wanders at 2 AM Ioway time. Slide over mother here I come.

EKC you shoot handguns very well and I think extra dollars put into a Heinie custom would only improve your groups by a tenth" or not at all

EKC you shoot handguns very well and I think extra dollars put into a Heinie custom would only improve your groups by a tenth" or not at all
    Your right. Maybe I'm just trying to justify something when I already know better. I am absolutely not one for putting on a the dog.

I have in my head that I want a 6 inch 10 milipeter before next years deer season roles around. I should say that I want to be proficient with it by then. Magnum Research doesn't offer a 1911 in 10mm or I would have one. When it comes right down to it a 6 inch barrel is a want and not a need. I'm a way picky old frt when it comes to picking my shots at a game animal and I can't think of a scenario where another inch of barrel alone would make me change my mind from I'm not chancing the shot to now it's doable .

I should just buy a Rock Island 10 mm Commander and tinker with it until it is earned my confidence . I think the Armscor Rock Island is a solid platform to build from it just hasn't had the hand fitting done to it. Grandpa used to tell me "boy, ya can't learn no younger".

Your right. Maybe I'm just trying to justify something when I already know better. I am absolutely not one for putting on a the dog.

I have in my head that I want a 6 inch 10 milipeter before next years deer season roles around. I should say that I want to be proficient with it by then. Magnum Research doesn't offer a 1911 in 10mm or I would have one. When it comes right down to it a 6 inch barrel is a want and not a need. I'm a way picky old frt when it comes to picking my shots at a game animal and I can't think of a scenario where another inch of barrel alone would make me change my mind from I'm not chancing the shot to now it's doable .

I should just buy a Rock Island 10 mm Commander and tinker with it until it has earned my confidence . I think the Armscor Rock Island is a solid platform to build from it just hasn't had the hand fitting done to it. Grandpa used to tell me "boy, ya can't learn no younger".

Get the commander and put a five inch in it and pretend its six

Get the commander and put a five inch in it and pretend its six
    I like the way you think! I killed my biggest ever whitetail doe with 40 cal Glock 22. I shot her 5 times and 4 of the 5 were fatal wounds but she was still on her feet and she had no idea where the shots were coming from and in her confused state she circled the tree I was in. So I kept thumping her in the boiler room. 4 of the 5 bullets were complete pass throughs, 3 through the lungs and one through the liver. Round five caught shoulder blade and was stuck high in the off side leg. I'm sold on Speer Gold Dots for hunting. Rarely does boiler room shot whitetail die on the spot. They are dead just don't know it. This one made her death run in a circle. A big old doe with a yearling in tow is the smartest and most cautious deer in the woods. I think she was still circling that tree trying to wind me for the sake of her fawn.

I can't imagine concealed carrying a 6 inch 1911 but I can see a 4 inch 1911getting it done in the deer woods and it would be at home on my hip as a carry gun too.

Thanks for the advice Will. A commander it is.

[QUOTE=elmerkeithclone;1523387]I like the way you think! I killed my biggest ever whitetail doe with 40 cal Glock 22. I shot her 5 times and 4 of the 5 were fatal wounds but she was still on her feet and she had no idea where the shots were coming from and in her confused state she circled the tree I was in. So I kept thumping her in the boiler room. 4 of the 5 bullets were complete pass throughs, 3 through the lungs and one through the liver. Round five caught shoulder blade and was stuck high in the off side leg. I'm sold on Speer Gold Dots for hunting. Rarely does boiler room shot whitetail die on the spot. They are dead just don't know it. This one made her death run in a circle. A big old doe with a yearling in tow is the smartest and most cautious deer in the woods. I think she was still circling that tree trying to wind me for the sake of her fawn.

I can't imagine concealed carrying a 6 inch 1911 but I can see a 4 inch 1911getting it done in the deer woods and it would be at home on my hip as a carry gun too.(QUOTE).

Thanks for the advice Will. A commander it is.
    Will, this is what I latched onto. http://WWW.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=536832706

Since money doesn't grow on trees around here I sometimes have to shuffle some stuff around in order to make another purchase. I have no idea what loggers get for various logs but I just turned 5 ea 12 ft long x 28 inch diameter white oak logs into a 1911 10mm........and I was going to turn them into firewood😉.

It was between a Kimber commander and this RI. So I read reviews on the Rock Island 1911 10mm for hours. I found very little negativity and I found two guys that are well respected on the 1911 forums that say the Rock Island 1911s are better guns than are their Kimbers. These guys usually tout Kimbers all the way. RI has a lifetime warranty and Kimbers has but a 1 year warranty. Kimber's turn around time is running at around 2 months while RI is <2weeks and RI usually throws in a new magazine as a courtesy should you have to send one of theirs back for some tweaking. It all sounds good to me!

I've always been a fan of the Colt 1911s but, don't have much experience with the many clones out there now. Your DE sounds like a good one. You must remember that in the beginning John Browning's original design was much different than the ones today(barrel throats, long triggers, lowered ejection ports etc.). I do plan on purchasing at least one of the government issues should this ever come to pass.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

I like this idea but, not many commander barrels around that will work with a colleted barrel of today(Commanders, at least the one I now own, have solid bushings.

EKC that is a nice looking pistol and a great price for all the extras.

Haven't fired it yet. Got ammo ordered but it hasn't showed yet.

I have had Carpal tunnel problems for quite a while. Right now it's the worst it has ever been. I have been all winter building doll houses and stuff for the grand kids. It's time to go under the knife. I have been dry firing this Rock Island a lot and my fingers/thumb don't want to cooperate. Last night my thumb was barely able to make the hammer come back. As I crawl into the golden years I'm starting wonder whats golden about them. I used to run for miles and it did not phase me when I had to give that up, I used to throw a softball 85 mph underhand and it didn't bother me when I had to give that up. When/if it gets so that I can't shoot my guns anymore then it will be time for that turd in the woods thing to happen. My whole retirement plan is dependent on reloading bullets and shooting guns. Hands that can't shoot guns can't wipe neither. I may need someone to chain me to a tree in the woods iffen worse comes to worse................not yet though

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Haven't fired it yet. Got ammo ordered but it hasn't showed yet.

I have had Carpal tunnel problems for quite a while. Right now it's the worst it has ever been. I have been all winter building doll houses and stuff for the grand kids. It's time to go under the knife. I have been dry firing this Rock Island a lot and my fingers/thumb don't want to cooperate. Last night my thumb was barely able to make the hammer come back. As I crawl into the golden years I'm starting wonder whats golden about them. I used to run for miles and it did not phase me when I had to give that up, I used to throw a softball 85 mph underhand and it didn't bother me when I had to give that up. When/if it gets so that I can't shoot my guns anymore then it will be time for that turd in the woods thing to happen. My whole retirement plan is dependent on reloading bullets and shooting guns. Hands that can't shoot guns can't wipe neither. I may need someone to chain me to a tree in the woods iffen worse comes to worse................not yet though

They are going to attempt to fix my left one on 2/24/16, right one two weeks later. Wishing you good luck I haven't heard many who it fixes, have you?
    Steve

I have bone chips in both wrist plus carpal tunnel and they say at my age best to just live with it. It does get hard to just grin and bear it.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    They are going to attempt to fix my left one on 2/24/16, right one two weeks later. Wishing you good luck I haven't heard many who it fixes, have you?
    Steve
    Carpal Tunnel Relase has come a long ways in recent years.

I know several who were given renewed interest in the shooting sports as a result of successful surgery. I am very optimistic about the outcome!

Yes the BFR parts are cast by Ruger's Pine Tree foundry but MR used Badger barrels, hand lapped and gun assy by another company.
    But things might have changed since Kahr Arms bought them. I understand the .44 mag was changed to a 1 in 26" twist and they use a new barrel supplier. I am dearly worried and am trying to find out.
    I believe the DE was originally developed and made in Israel by IMI. I am not sure if they brought production fully to the states.
    The 1911 I don't know about.
    Every time someone else sticks their fingers in the pie, they ruin something.
    If BFR goes to a poor barrel like Freedom did, I will not buy more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast