Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hiring a guide for a Brown bear hunt

Quote Originally Posted by TeeterMan View Post
    Is there a way to have a pro DIY mindset without being viewed as anti-guide?
    I'm chuckling over this... because I make part of my living working with DIY hunters, helping them plan successful Alaska big-game hunts, and at the same time I am a Registered Guide. So I guess the answer to your question is "YES"!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I had a lengthy response typed up detailing my rebuttals to some of the misconceptions above. I then realized that would completely derail the thread. I'm of the opinion the government has ZERO place enforcing the OP to pay another private party to legally hunt up here. My question was earnest, I'm not anti guide at all. I just always see it in any discussion on this topic, someone who has a pro DIY stance is painted as an anti guide/industry person. I'm just for NR's right to choose. I think ALL NR Alaskan sheep tags should be draw allotments, but the guide requirement should be removed. I support the right of guides to make a living taking out hunters just as much as the right of hunters to tell guides no thanks I can handle this myself.

Again, I'm a resident now and have no stake in the fight. Just think there are zero reasons the government enforces the use of guides that don't boil down to $ support in politics.

I still think the OP has zero chance of finding a guide that meets the legal requirements to take him willing to do so for pennies on the dollar. Bear season is short and money must be made in that short span.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I just always see it in any discussion on this topic, someone who has a pro DIY stance is painted as an anti guide/industry person...
    There's a place for that discussion in our forums, but it is not in this thread. Let's try to stick to helping this guy. I agree that it's going to be VERY difficult to find someone who will do what he's asking, and have tried to explain why, as have other posters. Do you have any suggestions that the OP can try on this?
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    The dudes are obviously seeking out a 'hobby guide' and there are about 300 "hobby" hunting guides registered in Alaska.

BTW-A hobby guide is a registered guide who normally does not sign a guide/client contract agreement. AND FYI- there are less than 25 guides in Alaska making a full time living at being hunting guides.

Most hobby guides probably make less than $300.00 a day in their "day jobs".

There are hobby guides who no doubt would be willing to take a couple weeks paid vacation time from their regular jobs to go on an all expenses paid hunting trip and guide a couple dudes for a week or so for 3 or 4 grand.
    I've been out in the field for the past couple of days; I see this thread has sort of blown up.
    Tsunami,
    You said "A hobby guide is a registered guide who normally does not sign a guide/client contract agreement" Where did you hear that? Or did you just pull that statement out of thin air. I've been a registered guide for several years, I've read the statutes backwards and forwards and I never recall reading about "Hobby Guides". All guides must execute a contract between themselves and their client; it's the law.
    I don't think you have any idea about the costs of insurance, land use fees, and other fixed costs associated with guiding.

Is there a way to have a pro DIY mindset without being viewed as anti-guide? .... I just don't understand why our government forces NR hunters to pay someone the amount of a decent car to hunt certain species and not others
    A good start for DIY in Alaska is to move up here...
    And I agree on the unfairness of some species no guide, while other species require it for non res. Lets just make it an across the board thing. All non res hunters require a guide for all big game species...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

To the OP Sounds to me like your idea with the waitress is going to be your best option. I would recommend a sound prenuptial agreement though to avoid being halved. In all seriousness though I do wish there were a better solution to the problems that the guiding requirement addresses than forcing all non-residents to be guided. While I do believe that guides perform a valuable service and have nothing against them at all, doing a guided hunt is not for everyone. Some people just do not want to be guided regardless of the cost of either option.

Some drunks don't want to be drove home. Sad thing is the guide is always the one getting shot because he looked like a bear at fifty feet.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

maybe if they drop the guide requirment, they'll drop the medical insurance and car insurance requirment!! thats not fair either....actually maybe if those two go first then we could all afford to hire a guide for a hunt every other year!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I actually think they should add moose to the guide requirement.

OP maybe consider messaging some guides and offer them a fare wage to fill any last minute open slots or cancelations. Might be a better chance for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhuntster View Post
    Whoa Nellie..
    Price was never mentioned. Please re-read my original post.

While you're at it, have a look down in the work wanted area and tell me what you see.

I'll save you the time.. Here's the link.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ring-bear-work

( No disrespect Mike.. That link is germane to the discussion no matter how distasteful some may find it so please don't delete it)

I'm exploring the possibility. Yes there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.. There's the cheapskate potential felon way, and a legal way.

To echo Mike's statement, lets try to stay on topic.
    I noticed his was the only post!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Lets just make it an across the board thing. All non res hunters require a guide for all big game species...
    I could support this one for sure!
    I don't have can't ideas for the Op.
    As was said I don't see a guide wanting to cut themselves short to help out a stranger.
    I know guides who have made deals with out of state friends but not strangers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I wasn't trying to start a debate about the appropriateness of the guided requirements. I was simply pointing out that the guided hunt experience is different than an unguided hunt experience. Many prefer the guided hunt experience and cost keeps them from going that route. However, there are some hunters that prefer the unguided experience regardless of the cost difference. I have done guided and unguided trips and given the option of doing an unguided trip or a guided trip for the same amount of money I would chose the unguided route, it is just my personal preference.

Some may not agree, but I do not believe that a guided hunt is that much more expensive than a comparable DIY hunt when all factors are considered. If you actually take the time to calculate the value of your time spent planning the hunt, logistics planning, etc. and allocate a fair value to that time and include ALL additional costs both before and after the hunt, I would bet that the price tags for each hunt are not as far apart as one might expect.

Hi folks,

Earlier I deleted several posts that had turned the conversation into a commentary on the guide program, and it's happening again. Let's stick to the topic of recommendations that will help the OP, please.

Thank you!

-Mike

The waitress situation...what about finding some dude with some basic skills that has an unwed sister with questionable morals? In AK community property laws don't start until you've been hitched for 8 years or more, so don't buy anything the half year or so you're hitched. We have simple dissolution of marriage if less than 8 years.

On second thought, based on my experiences with ex-wives, paying full price for a guide might be money ahead, so forget this notion.

I have a hard time believing moving to Alaska for a couple of years(then back) is somehow cheaper than a guided bear hunt or easier than hiring one outright!
    If your going to move here why not just stay ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Obviously there have been a lot of answers to your question. Here is a link to an outfitter/guide here in SE Ak. I know your going to Anchorage, but these guys are very successful here in a remote area of Southeast Ak. If you go to their link you'll see a breakdown of their various services. Mike and Patty are awesome, and they've been homesteaded on Admiralty for over 20 years raising 3 boys out there as guides.
    But you can see their price is $16,500/hunter for 10 days of hunting. I'm not sure how Anchorages prices compare but there my .02.

http://alaskabearhunts.biz/hunting.php

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234