Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a guide for a Brown bear hunt

Well............I am looking for a gooooooood deal on a new truck. Like 1/4 of the MSRP. I might go 1/3 of MSRP if the color is right........

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    One of the guides posting on this thread (who is held in very high regard) offers interior grizzly hunts for 12k and Kodiak hunts for 15k. No, it's not the 10k previously mentioned, but it's not that far off.
    24K for two over the counter "guided" bear hunt's is what's being discussed here. They could get it done for half or less and do it legally.

These two non resident hunters actually represent what is fairly common among non resident dyi hunters. Hunters who REALLY don't need and/or can not justify an over the counter bear hunt for $24,000.

There are about 15K non residents hunting Alaska annually (a lot of bear tag sale potential for the state there....a lot)

ONLY 2,500 (or about 1 out of 4) non residents hunting Alaska annually are guided.

Anyway, plenty of non residents hunting Alaska have been here before. Like these guys.

These guys (the OP) could likely get a charter in and out for three (two hunters and guide) for about the same price as as charters for two people.

If the OP covered the hobby guides state licensing fee ($425), the contract fees ($100.00), the guide use area fee ($50.00) and a day rate to the guide of $400.00 per day then the actual "guiding"; cost to a non resident for a 10 day guided bear hunt , is $4,575.00. Divide that $4.500 by 2 guys in this case and the EXTRA cost of a 'guided' bear hunt for each of them is a bout $2,225.00.

They have gear, they have experience and know there way around the Alaska logistics issues and regulations and they WANT to hunt bears.

Looks to me like they could whack a couple bears....bears that otherwise won't get whacked...not to mention the fact that they won't be coming here this time to kill caribou or moose. That's pretty much a win/win for resident hunters.

I hope the OP figures it out and I hope lot's of other non residents figure it out too so they decide to come here and kill bears maybe a few less moose and caribou die from bears thanks to non residents who think outside of the box .

Forgot land use permits fees, transportation costs and insurance for those, food/fuel and the liability of being responsible for someone else's actions.

I will also add that most guide operations only net between 10-35 percent of their sticker price on a hunt. So figure that in when you figure a "doable" rate that someone should be able to swing. It's not as simple as it appears.

It was mention that those non res won't be here whacking moose/caribou at the same
    Time. I think you'd see a lot more coming up in the fall for more of a grab bag experience. Spring bear might not be as attractive as you might think.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    The dudes are obviously seeking out a 'hobby guide' and there are about 300 "hobby" hunting guides registered in Alaska.

BTW-A hobby guide is a registered guide who normally does not sign a guide/client contract agreement. AND FYI- there are less than 25 guides in Alaska making a full time living at being hunting guides.

Most hobby guides probably make less than $300.00 a day in their "day jobs".

There are hobby guides who no doubt would be willing to take a couple weeks paid vacation time from their regular jobs to go on an all expenses paid hunting trip and guide a couple dudes for a week or so for 3 or 4 grand.
    I don't want to step on toes, but I'm fearful that these "hobby guides" that are mentioned are all busy hunting unicorns, heffalumps and woozles. Guiding strangers for brown bear, even a tag along guiding trip, is a long ways from a vacation IMO. I know several guides (probably a few that you'd consider "hobby guides") pretty well and can't imagine that any of them can afford to spend a portion of their hunting season in such a nonchalant way.

I wish the OP well. There are lots of things that I'd like to do, but simply can't amass or justify the finances to accomplish. It makes me all the more grateful that I live in this great land and I'm able to pursue these animals on my own. To the OP I'll add this final thought, the move to AK is costly in a lot of ways, but it is easily among the best decisions I've ever made and I only regret that I didn't do it years earlier.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    It makes me all the more grateful that I live in this great land and I'm able to pursue these animals on my own. To the OP I'll add this final thought, the move to AK is costly in a lot of ways, but it is easily among the best decisions I've ever made and I only regret that I didn't do it years earlier.
    Extremely well said sir...I've lived here, hunted and fished for 30 years...and I agree with you 100%. Moving to Alaska has been the third best decision in my life. Best of luck to the OP, but be very careful...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhuntster View Post
    As for myself, I may just move to Ak for a couple of years and do it myself.
    Probably take less time than what you're hoping to find now......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    24K for two over the counter "guided" bear hunt's is what's being discussed here. They could get it done for half or less and do it legally.

These two non resident hunters actually represent what is fairly common among non resident dyi hunters. Hunters who REALLY don't need and/or can not justify an over the counter bear hunt for $24,000.

There are about 15K non residents hunting Alaska annually (a lot of bear tag sale potential for the state there....a lot)

ONLY 2,500 (or about 1 out of 4) non residents hunting Alaska annually are guided.

Anyway, plenty of non residents hunting Alaska have been here before. Like these guys.

These guys (the OP) could likely get a charter in and out for three (two hunters and guide) for about the same price as as charters for two people.

If the OP covered the hobby guides state licensing fee ($425), the contract fees ($100.00), the guide use area fee ($50.00) and a day rate to the guide of $400.00 per day then the actual "guiding"; cost to a non resident for a 10 day guided bear hunt , is $4,575.00. Divide that $4.500 by 2 guys in this case and the EXTRA cost of a 'guided' bear hunt for each of them is a bout $2,225.00.

They have gear, they have experience and know there way around the Alaska logistics issues and regulations and they WANT to hunt bears.

Looks to me like they could whack a couple bears....bears that otherwise won't get whacked...not to mention the fact that they won't be coming here this time to kill caribou or moose. That's pretty much a win/win for resident hunters.

I hope the OP figures it out and I hope lot's of other non residents figure it out too so they decide to come here and kill bears maybe a few less moose and caribou die from bears thanks to non residents who think outside of the box .
    If the guide required for a bear hunt was dropped I'd hate to see what would happen to our resources. Simple solution. The OP can simply move up here.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well............I am looking for a gooooooood deal on a new truck. Like 1/4 of the MSRP. I might go 1/3 of MSRP if the color is right........
    If you're paying full retail for a new truck, you're a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    One of the guides posting on this thread (who is held in very high regard) offers interior grizzly hunts for 12k and Kodiak hunts for 15k. No, it's not the 10k previously mentioned, but it's not that far off.
    Thanks Brian,
    There are guides doing predator control hunts in the interior too, for ~$8K. B.C. with the current exchange rate is an even better deal.

Economics are a factor in for most everyone.. At least the people I know.

This thread was started to see if anyone had done this.. (yes it's legal) And what the pricing looked like.

Mike, the requirements to seal a hide apply to both black and brown bear. Something non-resident un-guided hunters have been doing for decades. I won't go in to the other points (a couple are doozies) you thought would be over looked.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/r.../pdfs/bear.pdf

Gent's - my intentions here were not to get anyone worked up. For that I apologize.

I did have a thought... There is this cute waitress at the Snow Goose brewery in Anchorage.. I could take her to Vegas, get married, do the hunt.. file for divo.... (just kidding)

I did have a thought... There is this cute waitress at the Snow Goose brewery in Anchorage.. I could take her to Vegas, get married, do the hunt.. file for divo.... (just kidding)

Snow Goose closed up shop this Winter.

😜
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Snow Goose closed up shop this Winter.

😜
    True story. The bright side is that it was bought out by 49th State, and 49th State brews better beer and serves better food. Alas, I can't speak to whether they have your ideal waitress on staff.

...This thread was started to see if anyone had done this.. Mike, the requirements to seal a hide apply to both black and brown bear. Something non-resident un-guided hunters have been doing for decades. I won't go in to the other points (a couple are doozies) you thought would be over looked...
    Didn't mean to imply that you don't know what you're doing, or to suggest that you were likely to make a mistake. I don't know you, and was trying not to assume too much. Everything on my list has been done here, and many good folks have ended up on the hook for things they did not intend. The other thing to remember is that thousands of people read these discussions (literally thousands... in 2015, this site had over 2.2 million new visits). So when I write, I often write with that in mind. Others are reading this stuff, and are considering the same thing. So I often answer with a lot more detail than was asked for by the poster, hoping to hit as much of that larger audience as I can.

If it helps to understand my posts of late, I had major surgery on my arm recently and am still on pain meds, so I may not be thinking clearly these days... (I know, that explains a lot, right?)

Good luck with your adventure!
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

He has received great advice from a top trip planner and some very good bears guides. Now to glean the chaff from the grain
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Is there a way to have a pro DIY mindset without being viewed as anti-guide? The whole guide requirement by law for certain species is beyond laughable. I'm all for guides and the industry, I just don't understand why our government forces NR hunters to pay someone the amount of a decent car to hunt certain species and not others when the government gains nothing from the deal.

Good luck to the OP, but the idea is a pipe dream unless you are good buddies with a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TeeterMan View Post
    The whole guide requirement by law for certain species is beyond laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally I don't see anything laughable about it. There are good reasons as to why. Put a bunch of inexperienced hunters in Alaska hot to pull the trigger, and before too long there would be waaaaaay too many sublegal sheep killed, nanny goats killed, and sow brownies too. Maybe you've got it all figured out and know what to look for, but not everybody can tell the difference between a younger boar and an older sow.... just as an example. And I won't even go into how many sublegal sheep are killed just as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally I don't see anything laughable about it. There are good reasons as to why. Put a bunch of inexperienced hunters in Alaska hot to pull the trigger, and before too long there would be waaaaaay too many sublegal sheep killed, nanny goats killed, and sow brownies too. Maybe you've got it all figured out and know what to look for, but not everybody can tell the difference between a younger boar and an older sow.... just as an example. And I won't even go into how many sublegal sheep are killed just as it is.
    You can't even come close to hanging your hat on your position. Sheep kills in Ak are either by residents or guided non-residents. There are plenty of species outside of Alaska that are regulated by draws, mandatory education and post hunt check stations, or similar. Virtually none of them require the use of a guide.

I think 4mer hit the nail on the head with his answer. If you want to continue this debate I suggest you post your own thread and not derail this one anymore than it already is
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I believe mandatory eduction in Colorado me year had several dozen moose shot mistaken for elk....if memory serves.
    I think of all the times I've been on bears and had a cub step out at the last minute when the only reason I waited on the shot was based off past experiences. Or the times that I've seen black bear stash their Cubs and feed in the open for hours. Or the my goats I've not shot because I knew the terrain they were in they couldn't be recovered or times I've not pursued fall sheep for the same reason.
    There are reasons, folks just don't like them.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Or the my goats I've not shot because I knew the terrain they were in they couldn't be recovered or times I've not pursued fall sheep for the same reason.
    That's a big one right there.....heard THAT story of those who have waaaaay too often.

Yep, people don't like the reasons, and think they've got it ALL figured out......until they're in those "certain situations" that just seem to come up far too often......lol

Also turning Alaska into the lower 48 is a poor idea. We choose to live because it's not like the lower 48. We do not have endless resources that can handle unlimited hunting pressure. The fastest way to get our hunting opportunity limited is drop guide requirements. Watch how fast the drawing tags have to be implemented then. Because someone can't afford a opportunity isn't reason nor cause to change regulations. The op had a better idea with moving here, then they would get a chance to see that Alaska hunting isn't cheap even as a diy. And possibly end up thankful for guide requirements when they find that areas they find to hunt arent overrun with non res diy hunters.

Sure folks have problems with guides, it's largely based off having an effective competitor. But it does keep hunting pressure in check more than most realize and helps to maintain some
    Of what Alaska is and was. The saddest thing for me to imagine is Alaska being treated like the rest of the lower 48s hunting, that tells me we are crowded and Alaska as a lot of us have known it is over.
    Master guide 212

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast