Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a guide for a Brown bear hunt

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    It's been really hard to keep track of this thread, what with the large volume of, errr, "Hobby Guides" clamoring for this gentleman's business.

As an aside, how does $300 x 7= "3 or 4 grand"?

The OP has unreasonable expectations, unfortunately. He seems to be looking to involve himself, and potentially a guide, in a plan that is poorly formed.
    Op has a concept....not a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    Op has a concept....not a plan.
    Fair enough.

And it is poorly conceived....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Fair enough.

And it is poorly conceived....
    The concept on non residents having affordable; something comparable to dyi hunting moose/caribou/deer trips, opportunity to come to Alaska and hunt bear is not an unreasonable one.

The concept on non residents having affordable; something comparable to dyi hunting moose/caribou/deer trips, opportunity to come to Alaska and hunt bear is not an unreasonable one.
    I guess that would depend on what one views as "reasonable".

Given our fiscal tailspin, I'd proffer that maximizing the price point potential of our resources is paramount as opposed to undercutting what appears to be a healthy and flourishing market.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

I guess that would depend on what one views as "reasonable".

Given our fiscal tailspin, I'd proffer that maximizing the price point potential of our resources is paramount as opposed to undercutting what appears to be a healthy and flourishing market.
    Exactly....more non residents with affordable bear hunt opportunity translates to the state selling more tags and additional employment opportunity for hobby guides and all the economic multipliers that swirl around that concept. To include the hypothesis that it would benefit the unbalance introduced when we (state statute/regs) make it more affordable for non residents to hunt moose/caribou/deer than we do bears.

Exactly....more non residents with affordable bear hunt opportunity translates to the state selling more tags and additional employment opportunity for hobby guides and all the economic multipliers that swirl around that concept. To include the hypothesis that it would benefit the unbalance introduced when we (state statute/regs) make it more affordable for non residents to hunt moose/caribou/deer than we do bears.
    i'm not even sure what to say to that..i read it like five times and each time i....i just don't know what to say....

figured it out...that sounds just like someone who don't spend any time actually out hunting. sounds like a desk opinion. no offense meant, but thats what it sounds like, politics, not reality.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

"Reasonable" "Affordable"

Great terms, with no definition.

Generally folks using those terms are looking for the cheapest way in, and out, with no ability or desire to leave anything but a few pinched pennies behind. They won't boost the economy, they'll look for ways to not spend money, as evidenced by the OP.

As to your repeated term "Hobby Guides", in a lifetime spent here, I've not encountered one. I have encountered Craigslist Guides, generally referred to as Pirate Guides, who don't want to sign contracts/guide agreements, as a paper trail is something they've no desire to leave.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    You're really asking someone to sign off on a hunt you intend to run yourself, in exchange for a little cash. You may not know that a hunt contract has to be involved, guide insurance, land use permits, etc. I can't imagine anyone opening themselves up for that kind of liability under those circumstances. If something illegal happens on that hunt, including the paperwork, your "guide" is on the hook for it. And (not that you would do this, but it happens) if something illegal happened and the trophy was transported out of the state, you and you're guide are looking at a felony. You're asking someone to assume a lot of risk here.
    Wow Mike,

May I suggest you go back and read my original post?

I stand the risk of a legal hunt from start to finish end up as a felony?
    Really?

You're better than that Mike.

None of this makes any sense. A registered guides lic, is $850 if he is a resident ($1700 NR), liability insurance is about $1,000, Fees for GUA $50, Fees for each hunt record is $50 x 2 (AND MUST BE FILED), and on and on and on! Before a contracting guide even takes one hunter out the cost is larger than numbers tossed so far. Good luck in finding a "Hobby Guide" that wants to work for less than 10K on a 10 day hunt.

I have offered years ago a half dozen guides five hundred bucks to let me follow them around for a day (not hunting) in their hunting area and never got a bite. Best reply was heck no you would then act like we were related and I would fine you in my back pocket every time I took a client out. He was a good friend and did offer a couple years later a three day hunt between clients coming in for five thousand but I didn't have the money at the time
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

"Reasonable" "Affordable"

Great terms, with no definition.

Generally folks using those terms are looking for the cheapest way in, and out, with no ability or desire to leave anything but a few pinched pennies behind. They won't boost the economy, they'll look for ways to not spend money, as evidenced by the OP.

As to your repeated term "Hobby Guides", in a lifetime spent here, I've not encountered one. I have encountered Craigslist Guides, generally referred to as Pirate Guides, who don't want to sign contracts/guide agreements, as a paper trail is something they've no desire to leave.....
    Whoa Nellie..
    Price was never mentioned. Please re-read my original post.

While you're at it, have a look down in the work wanted area and tell me what you see.

I'll save you the time.. Here's the link.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ring-bear-work

( No disrespect Mike.. That link is germane to the discussion no matter how distasteful some may find it so please don't delete it)

I'm exploring the possibility. Yes there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.. There's the cheapskate potential felon way, and a legal way.

To echo Mike's statement, lets try to stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    None of this makes any sense. A registered guides lic, is $850 if he is a resident ($1700 NR), liability insurance is about $1,000, Fees for GUA $50, Fees for each hunt record is $50 x 2 (AND MUST BE FILED), and on and on and on! Before a contracting guide even takes one hunter out the cost is larger than numbers tossed so far. Good luck in finding a "Hobby Guide" that wants to work for less than 10K on a 10 day hunt.
    Is this a verified/know amount? If so, it's less than half the price of a quality hunt in a quality area.

Economics cannot be dismissed when planning a hunt whether you're a resident or non resident. Is that a fair statement?
    *disclaimer. I am not trying to argue with anyone. Please try to keep on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhuntster View Post
    Is this a verified/know amount? If so, it's less than half the price of a quality hunt in a quality area.

Economics cannot be dismissed when planning a hunt whether you're a resident or non resident. Is that a fair statement?
    Bottom line is what you are looking for isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'm not even sure what to say to that..i read it like five times and each time i....i just don't know what to say....

figured it out...that sounds just like someone who don't spend any time actually out hunting. sounds like a desk opinion. no offense meant, but thats what it sounds like, politics, not reality.
    not sure what your version of reality could be if you think the guiding industry in AK is somehow not married to politics lol

guide licensing fees are biannual fees the rest of the list is accurate

Btw-the guide board is 1million or more in debt to the state and the deficit continue...but that's a political issue

Whoa Nellie..
    Price was never mentioned. Please re-read my original post.

Fair enough, but in one of your subsequent posts....

"As of now, the retail on quality bear hunts is nowhere in the budget. As for myself, I may just move to Ak for a couple of years and do it myself."

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhuntster
    While you're at it, have a look down in the work wanted area and tell me what you see.

I'll save you the time.. Here's the link.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ring-bear-work

( No disrespect Mike.. That link is germane to the discussion no matter how distasteful some may find it so please don't delete it)
    Okay, and?

A registered guide looking to pick up a few Spring Hunts. Aside from that what else is known? Does he guide other parts of the year and just has an open window? Looking to expand his hunt areas/experience? Did you contact him for prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhuntster
    I'm exploring the possibility. Yes there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.. There's the cheapskate potential felon way, and a legal way.
    I absolutely wish you the best of luck in making this work, you've gotten a lot of great replies here. You are also correct, there is a correct way, and the cheapskate, potential felon way.

Anyone who offers to guide you, with little notice, for a significant discount, needs to be vetted thoroughly and completely...

I think the cheapest Brown Bear hunt I have seen is 12K and the most 32K. I just tossed out 10days for 10K as a possible rock bottom number.

Just because you decide to book the 32K hunt doesn't mean its a better area, better guides, better gear, or better experience. If you choose to hire a guide I advise doing your homework, shop around, and ask questions. Some real used car salesman out in the guiding industry. Buyer beware. Good luck on your bear hunt planning.

not sure what your version of reality could be if you think the guiding industry in AK is somehow not married to politics lol
    didn't say it wasn't. did say your post sounded like politics and not like a opinion based off what the ramifications of your thread would be from a "in-field" perspective. also added i wasn't trying to come off offensive and finger pointy, just relating what it sounded like. no reflection intended on you as an individual.

OP, the link to the guide looking for spring hunters, is a guy looking for a job working for another outfitter, not someone looking to book clients.

maybe you could break down what your really thinking on this bear deal so we all have a better handle on whats doable for you and whats not? i know most of the guides in unit 6, have guided for several off them, went to grade school with some of the others.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Hi. There's two of us (non-residents) who have a place to hunt and are looking at the possibility of doing a spring Brown bear hunt some time in the near future.
    Typically, what could one expect from a price point for hiring just a guide?
    The area is a fly in and is a S.E. of Anchorage. Two of us have fished here many times over the last 20 years and have experience in hunting Alaska having done drop caribou, and moose hunts (successfully). We know the area, and there are wheelers and some other things that would be at our fingertips.
    Any idea's on what to expect cost wise assuming we could find someone available and willing..roughly? We're just kicking the idea around for now. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    You're really asking someone to sign off on a hunt you intend to run yourself, in exchange for a little cash. You may not know that a hunt contract has to be involved, guide insurance, land use permits, etc. I can't imagine anyone opening themselves up for that kind of liability under those circumstances. If something illegal happens on that hunt, including the paperwork, your "guide" is on the hook for it. And (not that you would do this, but it happens) if something illegal happened and the trophy was transported out of the state, you and you're guide are looking at a felony. You're asking someone to assume a lot of risk here.
    Wow Mike,

May I suggest you go back and read my original post?

I stand the risk of a legal hunt from start to finish end up as a felony?
    Really?

You're better than that Mike.
    Not sure how this makes me "better" or "worse", but perhaps I should clarify.

I wasn't suggesting that you have any intent to break the law. Only that conducting the kind of hunt you are suggesting magnifies the consequences of any potential infractions significantly. A few examples:

1. You shoot a bear on lands for which the guide wasn't properly permitted.

2. You shoot a sow with cubs.

3. You don't have a hunt contract.

4. The guide has an expired license.

5. Your guide is actually an "Assistant Guide" (assistant guides cannot contract a hunt).

6. Misreading the regulations, you shoot a bear a day before the season opens.

7. You shoot a bear while your guide is somewhere else.

8. You fail to have the bear sealed.

9. Your guide fails to turn in his hunt reports.

10. You mistakenly shoot two bears.

11. You fail to leave evidence of sex.

12. You or your guide fail to report any illegal activity, intentional or otherwise.

There are many opportunities to break the law. Some are your fault, and some are your guide's fault. Some may be unintentional, or out of ignorance. All of them are, at least in some sense, your guide's responsibility. Some of these automatically become felonies when the animal is transported out of the state of Alaska (see the Lacey Act).

So, while I don't think you would intentionally break the law, people do make mistakes and try to cover them up. This is where it can escalate. Also, I'm pretty certain you don't know what your guide's responsibilities are. You can be charged for things he was supposed to do, which you may not even know about, under some circumstances.

Hope that makes sense?

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

One of the guides posting on this thread (who is held in very high regard) offers interior grizzly hunts for 12k and Kodiak hunts for 15k. No, it's not the 10k previously mentioned, but it's not that far off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast