Thread: Sockeye Run

Default Sockeye Run

The 07 Sockeye run is way below the 11 year average according to the Fish count database on the Russian and Kasilof. It looks to be about 1/2 of the normal run in both rivers for this time of year. I haven't been up here that long so I'm wondering if this run seems low or late to some of you long time residence?

I dont think it is a low or small run. By the time it is said and done the 1st runs should be right on par. There will be fish that come in for the next two weeks and I dont see it to be a small or under average run on the kenai for kings or the russian for reds. Other thoughts though id love to hear them.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

i doubt the run is over, every now and then we get a big push all of a sudden, should be this weekend while i'm down there..hehe
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Late? yes, low counts? not by the time all is said and done.

Default Sockeye

I believe that the run is late. We had a late breakup this year and the kings have been on the later side as well. For example, we normally see a surge of kings, headed for Quartz creek, during the 4th week of June. These kings are very distinct from the other early run fish in that they are typically larger and have a bigger girth... we have not seen these fish yet (probably this week???). Last year was exactly the same with the Quartz fish showing the first week of July.

Likewise, last year, the sockeye run was exceedingly late, with a large number of fish showing in the first week of August. This created a huge problem because the commercial crews had already mostly shut down for the season, writing 2006 off as a disaster. So, with no harvest, nor means to manage this surge of fish, the Kenai experienced a probable over-escapement (1.5 million).

Nevertheless, the Kenai sockeye prediction is for a smaller (though not disasterous) return, maybe less than average. The Kasilof prediction, on the other hand, is for a very large return again this year. The run has not particualrly shown quite yet however.

So, I suspect that similar to last year, the runs will be 1-2 weeks later than the traditional peaks and will materialize as expected...

Default confused with posts

After reading the posts about sockeye I am not sure what anyone is talking about - early Russian River reds or the late run sockeye that comes into the river in mid-late July. At this point in the season no one can say whether the July Kenai sockeye run is early or late relative to run timing. Kasilof is picking up and again the main portion of the run will not enter the river until July and how that timing looks is still unknown.

Relative to last year a significant portion of the Kenai sockeye came into the inlet in August. The commercial fleet did not harvest them because the season closes on 8 August. It was not because they pulled their nets by choice or thought the run was over. They requested an extension of the season and that was denied.

I am not sure where all this misinformation is coming from - any comments on why this is out there - sources of information etc.

Not only has global warming got the fish confused as to when they should show up it also has all the fishermen & biologists thoroughly confused well... maybe with each other anyway.

Seriously though, I think in part of what they are talking about is looking at the weir count it appears to be off the mark by a 1-2 weeks at least compared to 05' & 06'. So do you suppose they are just late like the kings appear to be in the Deshka?