Thread: kimber montana 7 08 experience?

Default kimber montana 7 08 experience?

I have been trying 140 ttsx with rl 17 after 100 loads fired I am starting over. I first went from 45 to 47gr in .25 jumps. good reports from 45.75 to 46.5 problem is I have been unable to repeat those results consistently. I have been shooting off sand bags from a bench and prone. Prone seems to have more consistent recoil and thus better reports. I keep thinking that it is just a very unforgiving rifle or a combo of that and pretty iffy load. I am going to run a set of tests next from 44 back up to 46.25. maybe the node is a little further down? If no success I plan to change bullets first then powder. Im thinking a 140 nosler, I might be crushing powder with the long ttsx. Who here has loaded this rifle and caliber? Interested in where in the load density started seeing improvement or lack of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    I have been unable to repeat those results consistently.
    Lots and lots and lots of Kimber owners have had that problem. Most of the rifles were sold.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    I have been trying 140 ttsx with rl 17 after 100 loads fired I am starting over. I first went from 45 to 47gr in .25 jumps. good reports from 45.75 to 46.5 problem is I have been unable to repeat those results consistently. I have been shooting off sand bags from a bench and prone. Prone seems to have more consistent recoil and thus better reports. I keep thinking that it is just a very unforgiving rifle or a combo of that and pretty iffy load. I am going to run a set of tests next from 44 back up to 46.25. maybe the node is a little further down? If no success I plan to change bullets first then powder. Im thinking a 140 nosler, I might be crushing powder with the long ttsx. Who here has loaded this rifle and caliber? Interested in where in the load density started seeing improvement or lack of.
    Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Lots and lots and lots of Kimber owners have had that problem. Most of the rifles were sold.
    If you do decide to sell it, please notify me.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

RL 17 from what I've read can be temperature sensitive. Did you start your testing in warmer months? That could be an issue, could be that your rifle just doesn't like 140 gr ttsx, or RL17. I've got a buddy that has a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08. We tried a lot of different loads and thought he had one of the bad kimbers you hear about. Then he decided to try imr 4350, with a (this is kinda ironic) 140 gr Barnes ttsx and suddenly it went sub MOA. It's the only load that rifle will shoot well that he's discovered. Those kimbers can be finicky.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    RL 17 from what I've read can be temperature sensitive. .... Those kimbers can be finicky.
    RL17 isn't really too sensitive...some of the other RLs are. I've done a lot of loading with RL17 and always had luck.

I'd try a plain cup and core 140gr bullet like a Sierra or Speer and see what happens.

How does the rifle shoot a factory load? Same?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I don't have a Kimber rifle, so I can't help with that part of your mystery. That said, in addition to the suggestions that have already been offered, you might:
    (1) Start your test by beginning with the recommended minimum load for that bullet/powder combination, which Barnes lists at 42grns. You started pretty high within the range, and the maximum (46.7) is a compressed load, which sometimes gets tricky. Many times the lower loads are the most accurate, which is sometimes disappointing but it is what it is.
    (2) You didn't mention how variable the results on paper are...we talking groups of 2" or 4"? Is it stringing or just all over the place? Are you seeing any evidence of irregular shaped holes that might suggest bullet yaw in flight...I only mention this because the TTSX's and TSX's are often significantly longer bullets for the weight when compared to more conventional bullets of the same weight...longer bullets require a faster barrel twist, and I don't know the barrel twist of your rifle.
    (3) If you are having relatively small variations in your groups, then that can many times be narrowed by adjusting the seating depth and then ensuring extreme consistency in that seating depth, which is especially true with the TSX's...but I'm sure you already know that.
    (4) I personally think the best suggestion you have thus far received is to try a box of factory 140's and see what happens. That will at least give you a sense of your rifle's accuracy without the load data as an additional variable.
    (5) For what it's worth, my 7-08 (Tikka) shoots the 120grn TTSX's very tightly with RL-15 at the high end of the load range, but that's a different scenario.

Good luck sir.

I'd like to be second on that list if you decide to sell it.. I have not gotten to reload for my Montana in 7mm-08 yet but I get sub moa from it with factory loads. The first factory rounds I got were from federal premium loaded with 140grn tsx bullets but unfortunately they don't make those anymore at least that I can find. The second factory rounds that shoot sub moa are the fusion rounds also in 140grn bullets. Both of those will shoot out to 300yds with sub moa results. Those light rifles can also be picky on how you shoot them.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I did fire one box of factory hornaday 140, they shot worse than any hand load so far. They seemed to hot. Really I have put down some under .5 5 shot groups but cant get 2 groups in a row. when they are bad they are bad, over 2 inches. I pick my range time due to conditions. I have bedded the stock, they say a montana is already bedded but that's not the case. I usualy take 2 shots then wait 5 min then 2 more. I have not cleaned the bore in over 50 shots. I began a break in but It only took one good soak of cr 10 to come out clean. I did this 3 times. I had fairly crazy clean bore shots.
    I know I started on the high end but a 4% window in my experience shows a improvement or opposite as I go.
    From what I have read rl 17 is one of the least temp sensitive powders, that aside all loads were fired this month.
    I only have 50 more ttsx bullets left, I should be able to test the lower ladder this weekend.

The twist is standard 9.5, plenty for the 140 barnes. The seating depth on the other hand really only has .015 room from coal to mag length.

I got one of those Kimbers. First put a barrel resonator on it by limb saver. Second go get some Varget & 760 Winchester. Third go get some Speer bullets or sierra bullets. My Kimber didn't shoot as good i thought a $1000 gun should,2" 3 shot group @ 100 yards. So i started to tinker with Varget & 760 powders w/ so called " cheaper bullets" & found it would shoot good. Then I added the barrel resonator & now it shoots lights out. The 145gr grand slam is great bullet along w/ the 160gr. I also like the BT bullets from speer. It also likes the sierra bullets 140 to 160.

No Kimbers but have loaded for 5 other 7mm-08s. My experience has been not good with powders slower than w760 and 139-140 gr bullets. I have probably shot a thousand rounds of 7mm-08 in the last three years and my notes say CFE223, H4895 and IMR 4320 were the winners. One other thing worth noting is that skinny barreled little 7s are more consistent with a pressure point at the end of the barrel channel......at least 3 times for me anyway.

I have a Kimber Montana 7-08, the best factory load I have found so far are 140gr Nosler accubonds. Like the op stated mine also does not like the hornady rounds. I had descent luck with federal premium and fusion can't recall if it was sub moa.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    No Kimbers but have loaded for 5 other 7mm-08s. My experience has been not good with powders slower than w760 and 139-140 gr bullets. I have probably shot a thousand rounds of 7mm-08 in the last three years and my notes say CFE223, H4895 and IMR 4320 were the winners. One other thing worth noting is that skinny barreled little 7s are more consistent with a pressure point at the end of the barrel channel......at least 3 times for me anyway.
    That pressure point is something I was going to try next. I shot some acubonds the other day in groups of 8 with plenty of cool time. the two best loads stayed under 1.5 with 6 of 8 around 3/4. What material did you use to shim the fore end to test?

I have the same rifle. im now shooting 140 ttsx and RL15. Try switching powders.
    NRA life Member JVJ

IMR4064 for the 140ish bullets and 760 for heavier bullets, 748 for 120's.