Thread: Lake Louise Lodge to Alpine Creek Lodge to Eureka Lodge route

Default Lake Louise Lodge to Alpine Creek Lodge to Eureka Lodge route

Anyone done this trip, or a leg of this trip, or know of a route to do this trip, not necessarily in that order. More than likely would want to start from Eureka or LL Lodge, go to Alpine Creek Lodge, and then back to either Eureka or LL Lodge.

From LL Lodge I'm good with Lake Louise to Lake Susitna to Lake Tyone, follow Tyone river until it turn west and then I'm wondering if there is a more northerly route that doesn't involve the Big Su. Something overland but not bushwacking? I'm fine with following an established "trail" and I'm also good with following a route that just gives general landmarks and when to head (insert direction) till you get to (insert landmark) then head (insert direction).

Buddy of mine and I are looking to do the trip in March.

I'll admit I spent 3 minutes searching the forums for previous threads so there may be something out there that I didn't find

Any information would be great.

Thanks

I heard the trail from Tyone Lake to Maclaren River Lodge was opened last weekend.
    The trail is very rough due to lack of snow on Tyone end.

Thanks for the information. We're planning it for March 11-13 so we have some time. I'll look into that trail and see if I can find out more about it. I'm heading to Lake Louise weekend of Feb 12 for the Sweet Heart Poker run so I might get a chance to do a little recon.

Right now we are looking at taking the Tyone river north till it turns west. At that point we will generally try to maintain a northerly/Northeast route, possibly up and over a section of the Alphabet Hills dropping down to the MacClaren head east on the MacClaren then north to the Clearwater and head north on the Clearwater to the Denali Hwy.

Having knowledge of multiple routes will be helpful. Claude at Alpine Creek Lodge said lot of guys run the Tyone to the Big Su then Big Su to ClearWater and up to Denali Hwy. Our preference would be to stay off the Big Su.

Talk with Claude at Alpine Creek Lodge!!!!

Tree, who used to own the Wolverine Lodge up at LL was the guy that put that trail in and maintained it for several years in the 90's. He has told me about it several times and from what I can remember, he went NE away from the river and basically went from bench to bench till hitting the Mclaren drainage. I do remember him telling me that there was some bush wacking involved. I have his # if you are interested, pm if so..

Oh, and if you end up going for it, bring a rifle. Real good chance you will run into wolf sign!

we can shoot wolf sign??! crud....been going about it all wrong....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

You been setting snares for wolf sign?

Eureka to Lake Louise is a groomed trail in past years. You should not have a problem with that leg. I friend and I did L. Louise to Alpine 3 years ago pretty much following the route you stated. Great ride, we rode 104 miles one way, refueled at Alpine and went back. I have the route on my laptop and gps but have no way to post it on here because it is in Garmin Mapsend software. Ill try and upload some screenshots. I can only upload 2 at a time and they probably wont be in order.

Attachment 88402Attachment 88403
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Now Im getting a message that I can only put in 2 attachments per post. Not sure if these will post or not.

Attachment 88404
    MMSI#

Last pic. Hope that helps.

Attachment 88406
    MMSI#

Would love to see your pics but the attachments are not showing up...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

One more try.
    Attachment 88571
    MMSI#

If this does not work, pm me your email and I can mail an attatchment in garmin map format
    MMSI#

We left LLL at about 8 am on Saturday. Stuck to our plan and dropped a cache of emergency supplies just off Tyone Creek where it makes a hard left towards Tyone River. We headed in a generally North direction. We were unable to get to the high country and above treeline like we wanted. I still think it's doable but with daylight and fuel being a concern we opted for what we saw in front of us which was marginal tree cover and flat terrain. Off Tyone creek we made about 7 miles and hour then it just got thick and we dropped to 2 miles an hour. After a couple hours of tree bashing, creek running we decided to bee-line for the Big Su. We dropped onto the Big-Sue where it is flowing in an east-west direction below the MacClaren. We took the Su to Waterfall creek. Waterfall creek till it tied into the lowlands right below Alpine Creek Lodge. We intersected the Hatchet creek trail and took that to the Denali Hwy. LLL to ALPC 8 hours and 80.6 trail miles. Left ALPC at 9am next morning and took Hatchet Creek trail to the Big Su, Big Su to Tyone River, Tyone River to Tyone Creek, Tyone Creek to Tyone Lake and on back to LLL. Trip back 5 hours and 90 miles. I would not advise take the Big Su to Hatchet Lake trail and going up from the Big Su. It is an old trail that is over grown with alders and not maintained. Coming down it was not problem, but going up it you would have to be the to bar and no room in between big trees and alders to get off the trail. If you use the Big Su to get to ALPC lodge then I would suggest the MacClaren, Waterfall, Clearcreek, or go all the way to the Denali Hwy bridge and access that way. The Big Su river conditions were perfect. No overflow or open leads anywhere near the established trail. Tyone River was awesome as well. Tyone Creek was sketchy. Frozen overflow, no snow in places, we opted to ride the river bank and bypass some of the overflow places. They were frozen solid, but if you don't have to snowmachine on frozen overflow then don't. Will post up a few pics later.

Great report, looking forward to pics! Any wolf sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    If this does not work, pm me your email and I can mail an attatchment in garmin map format
    I'd like to see the route as well, so PM sent. If you dont receive it, can you email to my username @yahoo.com, thanks.

Lets see if this works. Trying to load pic of garmin route provide by Ebbtide, overlayed onto Google Earth, 1 of 3

Trail1 (1024x914).jpg

Lets see if this works. Trying to load pic of garmin route provide by Ebbtide, overlayed onto Google Earth... pics 2 and 3 for a little closer view of north and south sections. Thanks Ebb for providing!
    Attachment 88785 Attachment 88786

First pic is of our route to from LLL to ALPC Lodge.

Second pic is our route from ALPC Lodge to the Big Su. From the Big Su we followed the River to Tyone River.

IMG_2767.jpgIMG_2768.jpg

This third pic shows the route from the confluence of Big Su and Tyone River. Since we were following the river we didn't bother tracking that the route from Big Su to Tyone River.

IMG_2769.jpg