Thread: Hornady ELD-x

Default Hornady ELD-x

Has any one used or looked into this new bullet. The sales pitch is good. Is this the new best LR bullet or is it the latest mouse trap? Any thoughts?

http://m.hornady.com/store/ELD-X

If they hold together better than the Berger hunting bullets, then I might try them out. I have been eying the ELD-X and the Accubond LR and am awaiting the comparisons. They were available at Midway USA for about one day before they went on backorder again and I have not seen them anyplace else. Kind of a mute point unless you can buy some to try out.

Sales pitches are almost always good.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I wouldn't think they are any more deadly than ABs or corelokts or any premium hunting bullet, but I guess they gotta make a living too! Anything to get your hard earned dollars!

Release Lake Trout

I sat on the preorder list for nearly 3 months on the .308 178gr. I have a box coming. Hope to try in Aug for semi-LR blacktail.

I am curious as well. Been doing a lots of research and they seem to be the real deal but we will see I suppose. I did see an actual box of .30 212 grain on the shelf yesterday

Were you talking about in flight or when they hit? Bergers aren't designed to stay together once they hit.
    As far as the ELDs they are accurate from what me and my bud can tell with testing. They haven't done better than the AMax or Bergers in the accuracy department. The results we have gotten are really good and they should work fine for long distance work.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    If they hold together better than the Berger hunting bullets, then I might try them out. I have been eying the ELD-X and the Accubond LR and am awaiting the comparisons. They were available at Midway USA for about one day before they went on backorder again and I have not seen them anyplace else. Kind of a mute point unless you can buy some to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Were you talking about in flight or when they hit? Bergers aren't designed to stay together once they hit.
    As far as the ELDs they are accurate from what me and my bud can tell with testing. They haven't done better than the AMax or Bergers in the accuracy department. The results we have gotten are really good and they should work fine for long distance work.
    Yes, I am talking about when they hit. That has always been the rub. Good long range bullets tend to blow up with a close shot.

Another reason I might try them is because the tip is much harder. I am always denting up the tips of bullets while they are in the magazine of the 300 RUM. I have not noticed bullet set back, but a bent tip should fly different at long ranges. Probably not a difference at normal hunting ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I am curious as well. Been doing a lots of research and they seem to be the real deal but we will see I suppose. I did see an actual box of .30 212 grain on the shelf yesterday
    Where did you see them? I've have been on the look but no luck finding them yet.

I found some 162 ELD's yesterday and going to load them up tomorrow. Hopefully they shoot the same as the 162 A-Max loads do in my 7 WSM.

Thumbs up

I made a comment about these new bullets back in December. Based off of the hype and articles I had read, I wanted to try 'em out and see how they do...
    At the time, I was shooting the 180 Accubonds out of my new Christensen 300RUM. The accuracy was really great, but I was not impressed at all on their performance on moose from the previous year..
    So my determination was to find a 200gr ELD-X, get the best accuracy with it that I could find and keep it over 3,000fps.
    I started with fresh Norma brass, several loads of RL-25 and headed to the range..

*NOTE: I have a 200yd zero and my BDC reticle allows me to shoot out to 700yds. Which I have done and was hitting with some good consistency. I routinely poke it out to 600 and feel pretty confident. Not saying I'll hunt at those distances, I can shoot good and am NOT a sniper, but having the rifle and the ability to do so is a confidence builder*

Anyways, all groups were sub-inch... I settled for 88.5gr at 3,060fps and 9/16" groups. Winner winner chicken dinner...
    Time to hunt... A few weeks ago (August 24th) I hammered a bull caribou at 425yds, hard quartering away, one shot. Complete pass through, I think the lungs were breaking ribs on the way out. What a mess, very impressed. Dropped like a sack of (you know what)... So far so good..
    Sept 2nd, 56" bull moose goes down in a heap at 482yds. Put him and his 2 ladies to bed for a 4hr nap one afternoon. I sat there patiently waiting on a rock the size of a dinner table, up on a hill (11* angle to be exact), ranged every bush around him, adjusted my scope, and fired off 20 dry fires. I was solid and ready..
    4PM rolls around, they start getting up... He's facing left, slight quartering away, but not much.
    I glass him over good, range him 3 times for confirmation, get behind the gun again, and settle that 500 tick mark mid chest, and press... At the recoil all I see is his nose fly straight up and his backside going straight down... Hit a scosh high, mid left shoulder blade, below the spine, turned lungs into dinty moore, smashed front part of opposite scapula, resting the ELD-X in the hide on the far side. It's weighing in at 161grs..
    I'm pleased to say the least with this bullets performance and accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    ...resting the ELD-X in the hide on the far side. It's weighing in at 161grs..
    That's the first report I've heard of a bullet recovery from the ELD-X. Know several folks who use them and love them, but the bullets just keep on whistling after doing max damage at any range. Thanks for the very informative report!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Supporting Member

I was just going to start a thread asking about these bullets. I want to try them in the 212 grain variety in my 300 win mag to see how I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's the first report I've heard of a bullet recovery from the ELD-X. Know several folks who use them and love them, but the bullets just keep on whistling after doing max damage at any range. Thanks for the very informative report!
    My thoughts too... I've been hearing about A LOT of pass-thru's while creating some substantial damage prior to exiting... That's just fine with me..
    Like many folks out there who over criticize bullet performance, I'm not one to judge a bullet as good or bad just because it was or wasn't recovered... If I did my part and the critter died quickly, it worked to perfection in my mind.
    All I know is that in my application in a 300RUM, these 200's are very very accurate, they penetrate, they expand well, and they hit hard... Good enough for me..

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    I was just going to start a thread asking about these bullets. I want to try them in the 212 grain variety in my 300 win mag to see how I like them.
    I'm absolutely impressed with the 200's out of my 300RUM... Like I said above, I'm at 3060fps. That's considered kinda "slow" for ultra mag standards, but with the accuracy they're giving me, I don't care. Besides, ANY 200gr bullet above or just below the 3,000fps department is smokin'!!
    I'm confident that you won't be disappointed...

Supporting Member

Part of the reason I want the heavier grain ( I shoot 180) is to slow it down and extend the barrel life. If I could send a 200 or 212 grain projectile that matches or bests my 30-06 with 180's then I'm happy! Bought the 300 last year because I wanted a lighter stainless gun with a little extra brownie insurance. I was never disappointed with the 30-06. The ballistics on those eld-x's look pretty good.
    Makes me want to try their 143 grain bullets in a 6.5 creedmor on blacktails.

As a kid growing up on the Oregon coast, we shot a dumptruck load of blacktails with .30-06's, .243's, and 7mm's...
    That Creedmor spitting out ELD-X's would be lights out awesome...

My '06 really likes the 212's, haven't gotten as friendly with the 178's. Thanks for the field performance report.

Default Eld-x on moose

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    My thoughts too... I've been hearing about A LOT of pass-thru's while creating some substantial damage prior to exiting... That's just fine with me..
    Like many folks out there who over criticize bullet performance, I'm not one to judge a bullet as good or bad just because it was or wasn't recovered... If I did my part and the critter died quickly, it worked to perfection in my mind.
    All I know is that in my application in a 300RUM, these 200's are very very accurate, they penetrate, they expand well, and they hit hard... Good enough for me..
    My moose was taken at 100 yards broadside. The bullet passed through both lungs with a 1/2 dollar size exit hole. The moose ran 50 yards and piled up.