Thread: Hair Slippage

Default Hair Slippage

Is there anything that can stop hair slippage once it starts? I trapped a nice wolf recently and it had a little bit of green rot along its back and belly. Looks like some of the hair might be slipping. Not much at this point, but I would like to prevent any further damage if at all possible. Thanks. FYI, its already dried and fleshed as good as I can get it. The hide is quite oily and that makes it hard to dry the part that was green.

I'll bump this one up for ya with a question on green rot...

On your moose muncher thread...It looks like the wolf was frozen when you got to it. So how did it have a rotting area?

Just wanting to learn for if/when I end up harvesting one myself.

Thanks and congrats on the great wolf!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I'm not sure about the slippage, or if there is anything you about it. But on the greening, wolves, fox and coyotes green up really fast. Overnight, once they die. If you happen to get them alive, and skin them the same day, you won't have it, but after that, it happens.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Soak it in Stop Rot, not a cure all but one of the best products I have seen when fur gets green or gets a smell to it.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/STRQ-P3916.aspx
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I'll bump this one up for ya with a question on green rot...

On your moose muncher thread...It looks like the wolf was frozen when you got to it. So how did it have a rotting area?

Just wanting to learn for if/when I end up harvesting one myself.

Thanks and congrats on the great wolf!
    Exactly what denalihunter said. While it froze, the guts stayed warm for awhile and by the time I skinned him out, he had some green on the hide.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I'm not sure about the slippage, or if there is anything you about it. But on the greening, wolves, fox and coyotes green up really fast. Overnight, once they die. If you happen to get them alive, and skin them the same day, you won't have it, but after that, it happens.
    Thanks for the tips. If you don't mind sharing, how did the hides with green rot end up for you? Do they usually always slip out after going to the tannery or do they usually make it fine? I skinned a fox that had the green rot once. It wasn't as bad as the wolf and it's hide is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Soak it in Stop Rot, not a cure all but one of the best products I have seen when fur gets green or gets a smell to it.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/STRQ-P3916.aspx
    Thanks Stid. I've heard of stop rot. I wondered if it was just a gimmick. I'll have to try it out next time. As for the wolf, I sent it to Moyle's today. I am hoping that they will be able to take care of it from here. Maybe I am just wishful thinking, but I'm crossing my fingers.

I did not have a noticeable problem with it, even when it showed clear green rot. I expected some slippage on several (100's), and rarely seen any. I think your probably going to be fine, unless you have already seen a lot before you sent it in. You might lose a little, but after it goes through the tanning process, any loose hair will probably fall out, and you won't even notice it's gone once you get it back. I sent all our stuff to Moyles as well.
    Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Canines seem to be prone to slip more than other animals. While I know you guys are trapping, and stretching on a board or wire, had I seen the green I would put them in salt immediately. Salt will draw out any moisture much faster than air drying. While it wont cure a problem it can cut down on the "raw" time and get it to "dry" time faster. Salt sets the hair in place. You may experience some additional hair loss during the tanning, but each skin/animal is different. Ive had things slip that were handled perfectly and others hold up fine when they should have lost every hair on their body(fresh skinned bison hide riding in the back of an open pickup in 90* heat from South Dakota-Michigan).
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer