Thread: 7.1 EARTHQUAKE "THAT was NOT FUN"

Default 7.1 EARTHQUAKE "THAT was NOT FUN"

7.1 Earthquake Alaska (West side of Lower Cook Inlet)

http://www.adn.com/article/20160124/...central-alaska

I felt it strong in Valdez. Probably the worst one I have ever felt. Hopefully everyone over in Homer area is fine. I heard several people lost homes with gas leak fires.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I don't post much here but follow this site often. I wish everyone the best and hope everyone is fine.

Worst quake I have experienced in the last 46 years. I have some broken lamps, and a few things broke on the floor, nothing serious. My big worry was my elevated fuel tanks. But they are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I felt it strong in Valdez. Probably the worst one I have ever felt. Hopefully everyone over in Homer area is fine. I heard several people lost homes with gas leak fires.

Felt a small shake up here at 0133 but nothing in the record to attribute it to. May have been the same one, after two minutes travel time (?).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Martini, shaken not stur....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Lots of stuff hit the floor at my house in Nikiski. Roll away tool box with top box dumped over at my shop. Plenty of stuff on the floor there, but haven't discovered any structural problems yet.
    A duplex burned in Kenai, owned by a coule who lost there home to fire a couple of months ago.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Lots of info on the quake here:

http://earthquake.alaska.edu/m71-ini...olving-content

The Ground Motion Visualization image shows the P-wave hitting the Tanana Valley at about 1:32 a.m. Reckon that was the one you felt IOTT.

The last link on that page goes to a video showing lower 48 seismometers. The seismic wave hits Seattle around 1:36 and reaches east coast at 1:40

Discolored well water. Toy hauler tongue slipped off the blocks. Probably notice more stuff in the coming days.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

That was some very interesting graphs. Glad to hear things didn't get any worse.

I would Respectfully suggest we all take a good look around at what we need the strap-down........like hot water heaters and fuel tanks. When was the last time you had some family fire drills and earthquake drills............?????

Quote from ADN: "We were the first house to explode," Calderon said. "The kids' bunk beds were outside the house -- and they were in them."