Thread: Crane Pot Puller Combo

Default Crane Pot Puller Combo

My wife and I are looking into having a crane built to get the dingy up and down from the roof of our boat. I was hoping we could also combine this with a pot puller to replace our Brutus. I know the Electra-Dyne can be used to do both, and I've seen a few pics, but I'd like to see more designs people have figured out for doing both from one unit. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do it so that we could utilize the same puller and boom for both a crane and a pot puller?

I really like the design Akmud has come up with. Maybe he will post up some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

here's a few of AKmuds job. If you have any questions about the Electra Dyne's please call or email. I have pictures i can email you of many installs.
    ED crane davit 2.jpgED crane davit.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Here's a pic of a North River davit they've done on a number of boats and we've done as mods. Works great with the electrodyne and we've done one with a remote controlled ATV winch mounted at the top. The arm can be pivoted and pinned for different angles.

North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Thanks for all the pictures. If anyone has any other suggestions please keep them coming. I'm looking for as many ideas as I can get so I can figure out what will work best for us.

I do have a few other questions.
    1. How does the line run up from the Electra-dyne to the crane when lifting above the roof? It looks like to me that it rubs on the house and I'd like to avoid that.

2. This looks like a 2 person job with one down by the Electra-dyne and one on the roof. Anyway to make it a 1 person job? I have small kids so most the time my wife is busy with them and I'm handling the dingy.

3. If the Electra-dyne setup makes this a 2 person job, how much more does it take to have a separate motor for the crane such as suggested by HG?

4. How does the boom work with regards to moving it up and down and left to right? It looks like a few pics have hydraulic arms but I can't tell in others. I'm guessing this is all manipulated by hand and not motorized? I'm just trying to get a better idea what I'm looking at.

5. Anyone mind sharing a cost for the systems you are showing?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Thanks for all the pictures. If anyone has any other suggestions please keep them coming. I'm looking for as many ideas as I can get so I can figure out what will work best for us.

1. How does the line run up from the Electra-dyne to the crane when lifting above the roof? It looks like to me that it rubs on the house and I'd like to avoid that.

I wouldn't worry about the line rubbing on anything because it won't be moving much, just lays up against the metal of the house or davit.

2. This looks like a 2 person job with one down by the Electra-dyne and one on the roof. Anyway to make it a 1 person job? I have small kids so most the time my wife is busy with them and I'm handling the dingy.

Hang the dingy off the davit, go up on the roof and grab a line rigged from davit end to grab rail on roof and swing raft in to you.
    3. If the Electra-dyne setup makes this a 2 person job, how much more does it take to have a separate motor for the crane such as suggested by HG?

I don't know about cost but to my way of thinking its like a belt & suspenders, plus now you have another piece of gear/wiring exposed to the salt water elements. Keep it simple.

4. How does the boom work with regards to moving it up and down and left to right? It looks like a few pics have hydraulic arms but I can't tell in others. I'm guessing this is all manipulated by hand and not motorized? I'm just trying to get a better idea what I'm looking at.
    Adjustment is made with a pin that goes thru multiple holes. The 1st set of pictures i posted the boom has a gas strut/shock that helps it go up/down

5. Anyone mind sharing a cost for the systems you are showing?
    Get in touch with Rob AKMud on here, he built the davit in the pictures, he's a pleasure to work with and listens/builds what you want.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

hand winch.jpeg Put a hand winch on the top arm of the davit. Then you can hook up your dingy to a separate line, go up on the roof, crank it up, swing it over and set it. Easy to lower also. A one person operation. Save the Electra-dyne for pots and such when you need to be on the rear deck and can turn it on and off.

Rope dosen't rub on anything, saves battery life, etc.. Just another way of doing things. You could also put gas shock inside the vertical tube of the davit to help raise it higher along with the adjustable angle of the upper arm to make it easier to deal with the dingy.

I plan to use a 20 foot section of rope and a block and tackle to lift a dinghy or fuel onto my boat. I put a place on the boom to tie off the rope. Lift the dinghy by hand. Secure the tail end of the rope to the boom. Move to the bow and swing the dinghy in. I copied AK Mud as much as I could with the aluminum I had. I am not quite done with it. I have to cut 2 bolts and install the gas lift strut and I am going to have to pin it in a couple positions to keep it from swinging. I'll post a pik here.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post

I have thought about this as well, it seems like the boom could be extended on the backside, that way a block could be hung on that end as well, and the line would avoid the roof edge.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

That is a good idea BK. I would keep it just short as required so it is not in the way overhead. I also question the need to have the puller lift the dinghy 8 or 10 foot. If it pulls as fast as advertised it just seems like overkill. A good block and tackle can double or triple your pull. The dinghies i am looking at weigh mostly 80 pounds or so and i would pull the motor off first, but for those that don't add another 100 pounds at most about.

I have another thread with pix in it, but here's one. I cheated off of AKMud. I would pay him to it next time!

How about this hauler with a hydro arm.
    20160109_150253.jpg20160109_150301.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have a customer that uses his ED to lift those black plastic fuel drums(20gal ??) off the ground and into his boat. The picture is on my other computer or i'd post it. Let the ED haul the rope from the B&T.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

A sneak peek at what PatrickL ended up with. We still need to mount the ATV winch to the lifting arm, but it's nearly complete.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Very nice job! I can appreciate the work it takes to make that!

Thanks Bull.

Here's an extended pic -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Nice work Rob! That looks slick!

Looks great Rob. Nice and clean install.
    PatrickL will be very happy!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Next up is mine got it dropped off with Rob before left for work. Cant wait to haul them shrimp pots that will weigh 200 lbs full of shrimp!!