Thread: Fur care

Default Fur care

I want to send out a fur to a tannery on Monday. Will the fur be fine in the freezer until then if I don't stretch it and flesh it?

Most tanneries don't accept them unless they are stretched and dried. It will take at least a couple of days to dry, depending upon what it is, before you can mail it.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Alpha I think still takes them frozen. They are going through some changes down there(I heard it was being sold), but I know when I was there last weekend, they asked if my hide was frozen or salt dried. And it appeared there were green/bloody hides coming in.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

It's been a 3 days, I stretched it and salted it but its still not dry at the bottom and a couple more places..it wasn't as stretched there but still salted. Should I just leave it how it is and it will dry up or what should I do? It's a wolverine fur

Wolverine have thick hides, as you know. A lot of times, if I'm having trouble drying the bottoms, I hang them upside down for another day or two so they get the most heat. Plus the moisture will wick to the bottom, so hanging upside down will help that also. I like to use Borax to dry my hides instead of salt, but I'm not a taxidermist, so they would know which one is best. Your on good track for drying a wolverine, so don't sweat it out. Martin dry in a few hours, beaver 6 or 7 days, wolverine, four to five.

Claude

Thanks, I'll try hanging it upside down. Is it possible for it to start rotting anytime soon?

No, it should not rot at this point. Keep salt or borax in any wet spots. Don't mail until it's completely dry, even if it takes an extra few days. Many times the tanneries don't get to them right away. I always do a 30 day turn around at Moyles to guarantee they get to it right away. Costs more, but quality is much higher.

Yeah that's where I will be sending mine to. Thanks for the tips! Hopefully it'll dry and I'll get it sent out soon

The only thing I can offer is that borax certainly is a preservative. Many taxidermist used it in one form or another as THE way the preserved your hide and mounted it. You can search on line for "DP" preservative and see some comments on its longevity in mounts. I knew one shop in TX that still used it in the last few years when I was living down there. I was trained to use salt by the taxidermist that trained me and never tried borax(although I did mount one jack rabbit with it). Salt is PH neutral and when I was doing my own tanning I started with a salt brine and formic acid. Salt is easy to get(for me in Anchorage and in bulk) and cheap. I think you will be fine in your drying. Some bears take weeks to dry out, so a couple extra days should not be a problem.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Thanks for the reply, I think for now I'll just keep using salt. It's probably a once in a lifetime catch where I caught that wolverine, so i really want it to work out!

Max,,,,, Don't know if it would help or whether it is proper, but with my wolf last year I tried to actually rub the salt into the hide with fingers, gloves, even used rough round stones on it. Concentrated on the 'wet' spots and sometimes did it 4 times a day. Came out pretty good, I thought. Just don't mash the fur side down on a hard undersurface so u don't break hairs. I was surprised how long and how much work I did on it.
    Good luck on that great catch.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Thanks. I also rub the salt in the wet spots at least twice a day. I'm sure it will turn out fine, I'm probably worried about it for no reason.