Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to catch a salmon shark........

Default How to catch a salmon shark........

Hello Everybody,

I tried to ask this question on someone else's thread and nobody replied. I really don't want to hijack anybodies thread so I started my own. I saw a salmon shark last year going full speed out to go catch some silvers. I stopped the boat, and i saw him again when he surfaced about 40 feet from my boat. My question in what do I or should I do next? Do you guys have a salmon shark pole rigged and ready to go for times like this, so you just throw a whole pink on the hook and throw it overboard? Or do you have to troll for them to get them to attack your bait? Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated. I have tried the search function but usually the threads end up talking about how the number have declined, and how awesome it was back in the day to catch them. I know there isnt too many sharks out there, i just want to be ready for an opportunity like last year.

Joe

Well, I can tell you how to hook them, but not land them. First encounter many years ago, the dog was out on the bow barking like crazy and I noticed a bunch of shark fins breaking the surface, so rigged up a halibut pole with a whole pink on a large J-hook and threw it over the side. Bingo! Hook up. My son fought it for about 20 minutes then it came off. The 130# dacron had been abraded and broke. Anyway, we went back the next week to the same spot, this time with a rig more suited, 15' of wire leader and swivels on both ends and even bigger J-hook. Another hookup and another 20 minute fight but again, abraded dacron. Both times the shark rolled, just like those **** dogfish do, and wore through the line with their tough hides. I don't know if the new braid is more abrasion resistant, but that's the part you need to pay attention to. Hopefully, someone on here has some gear tips.

Charterboat Operator

Well I can tell you what I know?? Which isn't much😂 I'm the only one I know of that charters for them from the Homer AK port. We have been putting salmon sharks to the deck of the Huntress for over 15 years but just in the last five years started dialing them in, all skip all the story's and just tell you that I have never found one on surface and tried to get it to bite so I know nothing of that strategy .. That said we always aquire our sharks by chumming. Long story short, there hid is like 80 grit sand paper so you can never let your braid, no matter how heavy touch there skin!! You need 1 fathom of steal leader, don't use cable as they sill chew threw it like a dog and then a big barrel swivel to 2 fathoms of at least 400 lb mono, this will lay against there skin , it will be a shock absorber and will give you something to grab when fish gets to boat and your at swivel and can't reel any more.. All I can say is with each shark is a different attitude and be careful when they get to boat, and never try to land a green shark !!! Just play it tell its played!!! If you intend to release the fish it will take time as they our spent when they FINALY submit to capture ... Hope that helps, all so I only use 150lb power pro braid on reels..

Charterboat Operator

image.jpgI always suggest the release of these beautiful fish for sure!!! But I this one was eaten by many family's and is a conversation starter every time I have new guest .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Capt Nemo,

I really appreciate the info on this issue. You say chum for them out of Homer, which really sounds fun. Are you still catching them on the surface with balloons, or just suspended whole fish. All i picture is mcgrady chumming, then backpeddling into the cabin saying "were going to need a bigger boat". Does chum work when the salmon are in, or is there too much food in the water?

Joe

did a bit of snooping at a friends tackle shop and here's what he had for shark rigging. I'll try and talk with some charter capts to see how they rig for mako's.
    20160129_094751[1].jpg20160129_094757[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

and another rig, all single strand wire. Maybe i should have some shark rigs for sale at the shows and at the potbarn ???
    20160129_094820[1].jpg20160129_094824[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If Tom is still working at AK Raft & Kayak (used to work @ B&J's) go talk to him. He has caught quite a few over the years & on lighter gear & would be a great resource as I believe the thinking on the cable & wire leader lengths has changed as they will roll & if the roll in the cable & break off it can eventually kill them.
    FWIW we caught a couple one summer 5 yrs ago & using the steel cable with a barrel swivel & then snap a buoy on to the swivel when you reel up & to the boat. Like Capt Nemo said we used a fair amount of cut up pink for chum & then just mooched whole headless pinks & trolled pinks when the sharks were spotted on the finder. This was out of PWS & not Homer however.

I have never landed one, but something that I did learn was to not let them go under your boat/straight down. This allows the line to wrap around them when they go into a roll, thus being cut. Keep the boat moving a little so your line is at an angle and it is supposed to help. Sounds reasonable I guess. Will find out next time

I would discourage catch and release sportfishing of salmon shark. they'll spin up and you will gill them to death. or they will spin up and break off after your steel line runs out and then they sink to the bottom. be prepared to kill her quick. gut immediately while still in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I would discourage catch and release sportfishing of salmon shark. they'll spin up and you will gill them to death. or they will spin up and break off after your steel line runs out and then they sink to the bottom. be prepared to kill her quick. gut immediately while still in the water.
    Would suggest strong mainline along with steel to get them to the boat? The few sharks I've seen top water feeding have always been in Kbay. I've caught a few long lining in PWS. I would only want to release that top end predator. But I would love to target them. I spend enough time in their habitat fishing to warrant more toys and time to catch them. However I do not want to kill them inadvertently while having the fight of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    image.jpgI always suggest the release of these beautiful fish for sure!!! But I this one was eaten by many family's and is a conversation starter every time I have new guest .
    I sent you a pm captain

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I have never landed one, but something that I did learn was to not let them go under your boat/straight down. This allows the line to wrap around them when they go into a roll, thus being cut. Keep the boat moving a little so your line is at an angle and it is supposed to help. Sounds reasonable I guess. Will find out next time
    Great explination! I have had this happen more than once! So close, but yet so far!

Long story short, there hid is like 80 grit sand paper so you can never let your braid, no matter how heavy touch there skin!! You need 1 fathom of steal leader, don't use cable as they sill chew threw it like a dog and then a big barrel swivel to 2 fathoms of at least 400 lb mono, this will lay against there skin , it will be a shock absorber and will give you something to grab when fish gets to boat and your at swivel and can't reel any more... Hope that helps, all so I only use 150lb power pro braid on reels..
    I'm hoping to head further north next summer and get a shot at one of these. All the reading I've done makes them sound pretty similar to mako sharks in the Gulf of Mexico. The rigging you describe is very similar to what I use for mako and other big sharks, and you're absolutely right about sharkskin grating it's way through braid.

Certainly something to look forward to!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    I'm hoping to head further north next summer and get a shot at one of these. All the reading I've done makes them sound pretty similar to mako sharks in the Gulf of Mexico. The rigging you describe is very similar to what I use for mako and other big sharks, and you're absolutely right about sharkskin grating it's way through braid.

Certainly something to look forward to!
    I had him/her up in my chum yesterday for a few seconds, very nice fish , not a monster, one side or the other of 7 feet and 280-320 lbs.. Swam threw my shark baits and followed up the chum bag right to the surface, dog got to bark at it for a bit and my deck hand got to ooo and awee for a second and then she swam up stream past anchor and took off... Could of harpooned shark at any time but plan was to release.. Had her in deck lights so that mite of freaked her out a bit? Any way leaving tonight and staying on the grounds so I can get a full ebb tide in morning, gonna be a long night of chumming.. Hope to have pics of shark captured or released soon👍🏻 stay tuned

I had him/her up in my chum yesterday for a few seconds, very nice fish , not a monster, one side or the other of 7 feet and 280-320 lbs.. Swam threw my shark baits and followed up the chum bag right to the surface, dog got to bark at it for a bit and my deck hand got to ooo and awee for a second and then she swam up stream past anchor and took off... Could of harpooned shark at any time but plan was to release.. Had her in deck lights so that mite of freaked her out a bit? Any way leaving tonight and staying on the grounds so I can get a full ebb tide in morning, gonna be a long night of chumming.. Hope to have pics of shark captured or released soon👍🏻 stay tuned
    Great story! Can't wait to hear how your trip goes tonight! Good luck!

Shark get you? Haven't heard a report from the trip, any pictures?

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Shark get you? Haven't heard a report from the trip, any pictures?
    Ha, nope but the weather did, just could not get back to the spot.. NNE blow keeps them safe from us, hope to set back up on next big tide series.

We are getting close to heading out, next couple of weeks and getting excited.
    Here is a question for the folks that have stuck one, what harpoon tip do you use, how is it attached, cable/rope, how long is the rope, do you use a tailing device, or does it get made up when the fish gets to the boat?

I watched a video of a guy trying to harpoon a salmon shark, the big thrust bounced right off its head and just pissed it off.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast