Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mod. 70 only users!

Default Mod. 70 only users!

Is there any one out there besides me that is a die hard Mod. 70 user? I'm talking either Pre-64 or the "Classic" versions that have the wonderful old style Mod. 70 trigger. That nearly bullet proof reliable trigger, the safety locking the bolt and firing pin and being able to easily field strip the bolt with out tools is what has kept me using Mod. 70's for so many years.

I'm not saying they are the most accurate out of the box rifles, the most beautiful, etc. or the only rifle capable of taking big game. I also know like many firearms manufactures they have had ups and down's in quality. I just grew up around them and they have many desirable features. The "Classics" get some parts replacements from me and the Pre-64's have been left alone except for customizing the stock. I am aware of the Pre-64's not having the best gas venting system which can be an issue if a case fails. Since I load my own and use once fired brass for hunting it is not an issue to me.

I have a custom .338 "Classic Stainless" that has all the bells and whistles and a Pre-64 Featherweight 30-06 with the old rust blue and beautiful customized walnut stock. They are to me wonderful rifles. Then again, as I have stated before, I shoot Mod. 70's because those near perfect Dakota rifles cost so much.

If I ever get hi tech I will try to post a couple of pics of the rifles.

I just picked up a near new Stainless Classic New Haven in the much unloved 7WSM for a more than reasonable price...in fact, downright cheap. Pretty sure the rifle hasn't seen 2 boxes of ammo in it's life. The trigger as it came from the factory was 10+ lbs and the tupperware stock lacks bedding or free floating of any kind.

Adjusting that old style trigger was a snap and it is really very nice now at 3.5lbs. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I think using it as a base for a custom .300WSM is the eventual plan. I already have a lot of .300WSM laying around and I really like it. A good grade barrel, CeraKote job, and a McMillian Edge should make a very nice hunting rifle for what I do.

Probably shouldn't, but I'm going to slap a scope on it and shoot it as is and see what it will do as is.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Is there any one out there besides me that is a die hard Mod. 70 user?
    Yup. My 338-06 is built on one. Have a stainless featherweight in 6.5x55 too. And still have stainless featherweight -06 squirreled away waiting for a cool custom project to come along someday, maybe.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ahh, like minded riflemen. I knew I was not alone. Have heard good thing about the McMillian Edge stock and Tagia's calibers sound near perfect. I let a "Classic" 7mm-08 go by and yearn for that and another and one in .243 Win. also. My "Stainless Classic" .338 is a real shooter so I never replaced the factory barrel. I mean the five shot 100 yard groups with those 250 grain Barnes X bullets are so small that I risk being called a "story teller" if I tell the size. How does not over an inch sound?

If you ever restock with a custom synthetic take a hard look at Bansner's synthetic stocks. It's what my .338 wears and it full fills the reason for going with synthetic. They are very well thought out, lighter then most wood, very stable and the Confederate Grey is very pleasing to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yup. My 338-06 is built on one. Have a stainless featherweight in 6.5x55 too. And still have stainless featherweight -06 squirreled away waiting for a cool custom project to come along someday, maybe.
    IOT....If you ever get tired of waiting on that day....I'd happily take that '06 and do something special!

.338 mag- I'm looking at one of the Edge stocks for my upcoming project but a Bansners might be on the short list.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have several of them. A .270, a .300 Win mag, a .300 Weatherby mag, and a .375 H&H mag in stainless Classic. Also a pre 64 Featherweight in .243. Oh and a push feed XTR Featherweight in .30-06.
    I have some Winchester lever guns too that I take out in the field.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    IOT....If you ever get tired of waiting on that day....I'd happily take that '06 and do something special!

.338 mag- I'm looking at one of the Edge stocks for my upcoming project but a Bansners might be on the short list.
    My 338-06 sits in custom NcMillan stock. The swede is in factory walnut, and I have a factory synthetic for it too... At this point in life I really think I'm set for the duration, and maybe wouldn't mind letting the spare go. The last project I had contemplated for it was a 6.5x55, only because after a couple years of looking I couldn't find one and thought I never would. Finally, one came along tho and it's a fine shooter, so I'm happy now. Thing is, those New Haven stainless Classics with the good triggers are becoming unobtanium... Last one I saw on GB recently went for $1500!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I have eight now and am bidding on #9. Several NIB including a super grade in 338, and Classic Stainless in 30-06, 338 & 375. I think I have an addiction.

I gave my "Stainless Classic" .375 H&H to my son-in-law after I fixed it up a bit with iron sights and a few better parts. I think Winchester puts to big a barrel on their .375 rifles and I much prefer the barrel contour of a .375 Ruger. I gave my "Stainless Classic" wood stocked 30-06 to my daughter since she has shot moose and caribou with it. I have my Dad's Mod. 70 264. Win. Mag. in the safe, it and 140 grain Nosler Partitions is all he used in Alaska and many a lung shot moose and caribou went to the freezer due to that combination.

With great regret I had to swear them off and sell the load. No lefties, and I won't own rifles that I don't shoot. No reflection on the 70, and I agree with your assessment. But I'm anti-safe queen and anti-hoarding.

I was lucky on the LH 70s. I sold a truck and the Wife handed me the money and told me to buy a rifle with it. I picked up a LH 338 just before Win. stopped making them.

A guy I shoot HP with sold me a LH 70 action that he'd used for HP. I still haven't figured out what barrel to put on it...most likely a .270.

I have my Grandfather's and Father's M70s in the safe. Both in .270

I have a stainless classic LH that I am considering parting with. It's too pretty to take to the field.

Quote Originally Posted by aknome View Post
    I have eight now and am bidding on #9. Several NIB including a super grade in 338, and Classic Stainless in 30-06, 338 & 375. I think I have an addiction.
    Perhaps you should put your eyeball on my pre 64 .243 Featherweight with a scope. I'm thinking of parting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Perhaps you should put your eyeball on my pre 64 .243 Featherweight with a scope. I'm thinking of parting with it.

If it was a 30-06 I would want to know how bad you wanted to part with it.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    If it was a 30-06 I would want to know how bad you wanted to part with it.
    Well, I am not desperate. Atleast not yet. Been having good results parting with stuff on GB. Always goes above my reserve. Guess I'm pricing them right.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Well, I am not desperate. Atleast not yet. Been having good results parting with stuff on GB. Always goes above my reserve. Guess I'm pricing them right.
    Ha! Yup, I have guns I'm perfectly willing to part with, even one I have absolutely no use for whatsoever, but I've never been "desperate" to be rid of any gun. To me, the applicable questions are "well, what's the going market price?" and/or "how badly do you want to own it?".
    #Resist

Model 70 XTR 300 Win by customized by Red Morton
    Model 70 Pre64 06
    Model 70 FN BACO 2008 DLX 30-06
    Model 7O FN BACO EW 270WSM
    MODEL 70 NH 375 HH Stainless Classic
    Model 70 JOC Tribute 270

Figure its a start. I am young yet.

My m-70 extreme weather in .300 WM has become my goto. I really enjoy shooting that lil tack driver.

Not a diehard. But, last year I picked up a 30-06 made in 1948. Only fair to good condition, but, an excellent bore. It put 5 shots in a 3 & 1/4" group at 300 yards (Remington 150 gr. Corelokt). I was very pleased.

My Grandpa's 1953 Featherweight .308.
    Robar coated NP3+ bolt,trigger group and rogaurd barreled action and Williams bottom metal. Bedded in a Mcmillian hunters edge with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18.

Rifle was not in great condition when it came to me so made it better than new! Love it, taken a handful of PWS deer so far.
    Also have a stainless Classic in 300RUM, but it doesn't get the love the pre64 gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast