Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns and bears

Default Guns and bears

Hello everyone. I was looking for some help. I have a brother that lives up in alaska and does a lot of packing into remote areas. When I spoke with him last he has told me about all the large bears he see's. So I was going to buy him a rifle for his birthday. Since I know nothing about rifle I figured I would ask you guys.

I do know there is a difference between buying a rifle to shoot something 600 yards away and something to stop a closer range charging bear. So I think I would like to find him something that would carry a lot of bullets in case he misses and a cal that would be good for a CHARGING UPSET GOING TO KILL YOU EAT YOU KIND OF BEAR.

All in put would be a great help thanks.

Marlin Guide Gun 45-70

Default guns and bears 2

is the 45-70 bigger, stronger more knock down, more killing power then the 30-06?

You might want to find out what he would want to shoot or carry for that matter. A 30-06 is a good gun and the ammo is fairly cheap, but many people want more for grizllies. I have met people that carry 30-06s for bear protection. I have also met people that like 12 gauges and a large varietiy of other guns. I would say you need to find out what he is comfortable with.

I agree with big _dog, personal preference plays a big part in a individual choice in a hunting/personal protection rifle, especially when it comes to bears. If you can find out what your brother prefers, thats exactly what I would buy him.

Get him a good 629 smith and wesson 44 magnum revolver, or a 454 or 480 ruger, and cross your fingers he doesnt get to use it on bears. If hes fishing, he would either have the rifle or shotgun on his back, or more likely leaning against the tree or cooler on the bank, where he wont have any time to retrieve it, and use it. A handgun at least is there for a last option.

if you decide on a rifle, I would get the Marlin Guide gun. Its very packable, and with heavy hard cast rounds, its perfect for close range combat with bears.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

1st things 1st.

How much money you got to spend?

jedi

Red face

Would you be my brother??
    EricL

Default Bears and guns 3

It is going to be a surprise so if I start asking about it he will know what I am up to. Someone mentioned a guide gun. I am assume from reading that is a 45-70. So is a 45-70 bigger then a 30-06. Any other suggestions on rifles?

Default Bear gun

You have asked a loaded question that getting 2 poeple to agree upon would be difficult at best. Is the gun that you are going to get him for protection only? A 45-70 is a very good round with great stopping power. A short barreled 44 mag revolver like a S&W or there are a couple of ultra lights that would be good if he is already carring another weapon. Alot of guides will carry shotguns that will give you alot of versatility. It should be something like a Benelli M1 or M2. Its an auto so there is no chance of screwing up or forgetting to work the action in a stressful situation. The 1st round could be loaded with 00 or 000 buck shot so your sure to hit the first time, then 1 3/8 oz slugs to follow that would stop a charging buffalo. You can even get non-lethal reporting w/visual scaring round with a range of 200ft, signal flare rounds for emergencies etc. The bottom line I'm sure that he will appreciate any thing that you get him, but if you are concerned about getting him the right thing. Buy him a gift cerficate and but pictures of all 3 in the card and let him pick his poison!! That way you can't go wrong!!

Default gift certificate

I second the gift certificate idea. If he isn't a shooter it will give him a chance to handle different weapons and find one that fits him. If he is a shooter he will know what he wants.
    I have a sister that got me a shotgun once, she was my favorite sister that day.
    Never give a gun to a duck...

I second the brother idea. Haven't you always wanted a large family?

Seriously, he should be the one to purchase the gun, for many reasons. What a nice thought to fund it for him . . . one more vote for a gift certificate.

I gotta vote gift certificate too.

Paperwork and choice should be his.

Also different people got different preferences and wallets.

For a protection rifle I would want an M70 or mauser with a 16 1/4" barrel chambered in .458 win mag with a quarter rib and express single standing leaf express sight with tritium front insert in a barrel band front sight.

Sights regulated for 25meters with 510 grain Win factory softpoints.

Drop box mag that holds 4+1 in the chamber.

Everything parkerised and painted.

Synthetic or laminated stock.

Hmmmmm.....that gun will run about $3,000 or so.

A cheaper route would be a stainless Marlin guide gun in .45-70 with Garrett ammo and a sight upgrade.

Now you know what I want for my birthday.

jedi

If you are going to get the gun get the Marlin 1895GS and a couple boxes of Garrett ammo. I love my Marlin and would feel very comfortable with it as my personal protection firearm.

Matt

Get him a ruger 375 alaskan,those rifles is getting very good reviews

Default Guns and bears.

OK, I decided I am going to get him the lever action marlin 45-70 stainless. I have read some reviews and lots of people talking about how the gun kicks. So, I am wanting to add one of those things at the end of the barrel that takes some of the kick out. Anything thoughts on that? Also anything else I should add besides a few boxs of bullets? Also what grain and powder bullet for a big man eaten, upset, charging bear?

Thanks for all your help

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.asp
    This is a place to get the Garrett ammo, as far as which bullet I would say to ask them what one they would use or someone on here might know which one to use.
    The thing on the end of the barrel is called a muzzle break or ported barrel, I don't think the recoil is bad enough to justify using one. They are VERY loud. You could get him a Limb Saver Recoil pad for a lot less $$$ and be just as well off.
    A set of XS sights might be a good idea they can be bought at Cabelas for under $100

Matt

I agree with Big Dog, too.

A Marlin 45-70 should be fine is he can shoot it well, and also a 12-gage Mossberg 500-A shotgun. The shotgun I am thinking about comes with a pistol grip, and a stock you can switch at will. It also has a short 18" smooth barrel. It's a pump gun, and easy to shoot with the stock installed. Not so with the pistol grip only. A shotgun is for up-close work, however.

A revolver is much easier to carry, and could also be used for bear defense. However, it requires practice and the use of tough bullets to achieve full penetration. I carry a 7-1/2" Freedom Arms .454 Cassull in a bandoleer belt/holster when moose hunting, but I practice with it on targets set to around 25' of distance.

Default "kick"

Don't be to concerned with the "kick" or recoil of a gun for protection. When things go bad and he HAS to shoot it I guarantee he won't feel the kick, matter of fact he may not even hear the gun go off. The human body does some strange things under that kind of stress.

Just my .02

Default Mossburg 500

I gotta throw a vote in on the Mossburg 500. I bought one a few weeks ago. Greatest thing going in my book. I got a good bear back up gun and will switch back to the 28 inch barrel for birds in the fall. Great package just under $300.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast