Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point firearms

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hi Point firearms

Who sells them in Anchorage or the Valley?

Web sight shows Other cities in AK.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Fred Meyers does...or at least they used to.

Thanks Frost.

I'm considering one in 45 ACP, for CC.

Granted, it's a beeg bulky thing, and CC could be challenging, but no real problem since we have OC and it doesn't matter if it shows.

Besides, I'm working on another option, if I can get EKC and Smokey to invest in it.

It is a sort of strap-on Beer Belly, in which a holster is incorporated.

Unlike most other CC rigs, it will work best with casual wear. All you gotta do, is lift up your T shirt or Sweatshirt, and yank yer gun out from under it.

That is second nature for a sizable portion of the population and they will require very little training in the presentation.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

3Bears in Kenai carries them so I'd imagine the one out in the valley does also. Cabelas also stocks them in anchorage.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Ammo Can on Spenard
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks All.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Thanks Frost.

I'm considering one in 45 ACP, for CC.

Granted, it's a beeg bulky thing, and CC could be challenging, but no real problem since we have OC and it doesn't matter if it shows.

Besides, I'm working on another option, if I can get EKC and Smokey to invest in it.

It is a sort of strap-on Beer Belly, in which a holster is incorporated.

Unlike most other CC rigs, it will work best with casual wear. All you gotta do, is lift up your T shirt or Sweatshirt, and yank yer gun out from under it.

That is second nature for a sizable portion of the population and they will require very little training in the presentation.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, I asked mom if I could wear one of the gun hiding beer belly things and she don't much care as long as we ain't seen together. I told her they got a fancy cc gun hider for old broads that can't fake knocked up anymore too...it's a bra with 3 cups. I done cut up two of her braziers to make a tri- barreled one and even fashioned the left over boulder holder so it will fit betwixt her shoulder blades. Figure she can hide her backup or spare mags back there.

OK on the up now. From what I am hearing those HighPoints are very reliable. I was helping my farmer friend Wild Bill last fall as he was moving big round bails. The woodchucks had taken up residence amongst the bales. He told me to get his gun. He had a 45 Highpoint rattling around in his drawbar tool box with the ballpeen hammer, big wrenches draw pins and stuff. It was very dirty and dinged up but he used that high point to bushwack one of those hedge hogs.

3 Bears has them for less than $200.

The only HighPoint worthy of the Smitty.. **warning language** that's why I didn't embed it. Don't watch if you have a reduced sense of humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQk244oW9c
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smitty, I asked mom if I could wear one of the gun hiding beer belly things and she don't much care as long as we ain't seen together. I told her they got a fancy cc gun hider for old broads that can't fake knocked up anymore too...it's a bra with 3 cups. I done cut up two of her braziers to make a tri- barreled one and even fashioned the left over boulder holder so it will fit betwixt her shoulder blades. Figure she can hide her backup or spare mags back there.

OK on the up now. From what I am hearing those HighPoints are very reliable. I was helping my farmer friend Wild Bill last fall as he was moving big round bails. The woodchucks had taken up residence amongst the bales. He told me to get his gun. He had a 45 Highpoint rattling around in his drawbar tool box with the ballpeen hammer, big wrenches draw pins and stuff. It was very dirty and dinged up but he used that high point to bushwack one of those hedge hogs.
    I've seen some good reviews.

They are bulky and heavy because they are blowback, which requires a heavy slide.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    3 Bears has them for less than $200.
    Thanks. SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I have an article that tells the High Point story and philosophy of it's founder. Not sure but think it was in American Rifleman magazine. The founder was a Henry Ford type thinker. He wanted his products to function reliably and at a price anyone could afford. I admire the guy! You should not have to be wealthy to afford self protection. Handguns range from very utilitarian to works of art. A $3,000 LesBaer 45 or a $200 Highpoint both send the same slug down range with the same authority. I would not want to put a $3000 dollar gun into a drawbar tool box so the High Point does have it's place in the shooting world.

Have you read the article Smitty. It was interesting. I can find it and mail it to you if you'd like.

I won't talk to a review of the Hi-point. I've never read anything that specifically degrades them for function and reliability. I've heard of nit-picky dings for speed and trigger, but that probably isn't relevant. My ONLY hesitation is that the thing weighs 2 lbs 3oz unloaded. Add 10 rounds of 45 and you're topping out at 2lbs 11oz. Almost 3 pounds for a carry gun. I think you're gonna need a bigger belt. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have an article that tells the High Point story and philosophy of it's founder. Not sure but think it was in American Rifleman magazine. The founder was a Henry Ford type thinker. He wanted his products to function reliably and at a price anyone could afford. I admire the guy! You should not have to be wealthy to afford self protection. Handguns range from very utilitarian to works of art. A $3,000 LesBaer 45 or a $200 Highpoint both send the same slug down range with the same authority. I would not want to put a $3000 dollar gun into a drawbar tool box so the High Point does have it's place in the shooting world.

Have you read the article Smitty. It was interesting. I can find it and mail it to you if you'd like.
    Yes, I read it.

I was surprised' at the good review, because I had borried one in 380 to test, and I sometimes, had to bat the slide forward to get it to shoot. ( It was probably just doity. I regret not tinkering with it, but it was what I'd expected from such an inexpensive gun.)

I've got a line on a 45 at a reasonable price, that is proven. It looks like I'll be in business SOON.

Thanks

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I won't talk to a review of the Hi-point. I've never read anything that specifically degrades them for function and reliability. I've heard of nit-picky dings for speed and trigger, but that probably isn't relevant. My ONLY hesitation is that the thing weighs 2 lbs 3oz unloaded. Add 10 rounds of 45 and you're topping out at 2lbs 11oz. Almost 3 pounds for a carry gun. I think you're gonna need a bigger belt. LOL.
    It is apparently, all the things you mention, but they should be interesting to find out about.

I think the weight might help midigate the recoil, but from the reviews, they re different than shooting other 45s.

Thank you for you're input.
    You can't out-give God.

BOYYYYY, whatta DISAPPOIMTMENT. Let my friends sympathize and my enemies rejoice.

I'm not the kinda guy who won't admit that he made a poor choice, for whatever the reason.

I got a box of Cheap Blazer 45 ACP ammo, Aluminum cases. I fired 18 rounds. It was an Ordeal.

The RECOIL was on the same level as my 44 Mag, but the pain was several levels higher, because the 2nd knuckle of my thumb took a real beating.

The 1st magazine shot, but I found an unfired cartridge on the ground in the snow that I don't know how got there.

The trigger pull was Extremely heavy. Accuracy was all over the place, and accuracy was difficult, due to so many other things to worry about. Rapid shooting was impossible for me.

The only way, I was able to shoot somewhat comfortably, was to place my hand far down on the grip, and pull the bottom of it with my other hand to keep from damaging said knuckle.

The 2nd magazine was jamming every shot, so I removed the last 2 rounds and put them in the other one, whereupon they both also jammed.

OK, so this contraption, (I'm tempted to call it a "Platform". ) is VERY dirty. but to disassemble it for cleaning, I'm to remove a pin at the rear of the slide, and I'm uncertain which pin that is, even with looking at the parts diagram.

I had the slide back, and thought to close it, and test the trigger poundage. In order, to close the slide, I hadda put in a magazine, Nope, the magazine had to have a round in it.

What is goin on here?? Besides ME?

Very likely, this monstrosity is not a KEEPER, but I'd like to make it work before tryin to unload it.

Back to the drawing board. I can consult YouTube videos, but that's how I got in this position in the first place. Anyway, looks like fun in figgering it out.

The jamming was interesting. FTF, I guess, only one sorta stovepipe, the others were with the loaded rounds sticking straight up out of the magazine.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I'm all You Tubed up on HiPoint disassembly and cleaning.

Just need to find the time to clean the gun. Was told to try better ammo than the Aluminum Case kind.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    BOYYYYY, whatta DISAPPOIMTMENT. Let my friends sympathize and my enemies rejoice.

I'm not the kinda guy who won't admit that he made a poor choice, for whatever the reason.

I got a box of Cheap Blazer 45 ACP ammo, Aluminum cases. I fired 18 rounds. It was an Ordeal.

The RECOIL was on the same level as my 44 Mag, but the pain was several levels higher, because the 2nd knuckle of my thumb took a real beating.

The 1st magazine shot, but I found an unfired cartridge on the ground in the snow that I don't know how got there.

The trigger pull was Extremely heavy. Accuracy was all over the place, and accuracy was difficult, due to so many other things to worry about. Rapid shooting was impossible for me.

The only way, I was able to shoot somewhat comfortably, was to place my hand far down on the grip, and pull the bottom of it with my other hand to keep from damaging said knuckle.

The 2nd magazine was jamming every shot, so I removed the last 2 rounds and put them in the other one, whereupon they both also jammed.

OK, so this contraption, (I'm tempted to call it a "Platform". ) is VERY dirty. but to disassemble it for cleaning, I'm to remove a pin at the rear of the slide, and I'm uncertain which pin that is, even with looking at the parts diagram.

I had the slide back, and thought to close it, and test the trigger poundage. In order, to close the slide, I hadda put in a magazine, Nope, the magazine had to have a round in it.

What is goin on here?? Besides ME?

Very likely, this monstrosity is not a KEEPER, but I'd like to make it work before tryin to unload it.

Back to the drawing board. I can consult YouTube videos, but that's how I got in this position in the first place. Anyway, looks like fun in figgering it out.

The jamming was interesting. FTF, I guess, only one sorta stovepipe, the others were with the loaded rounds sticking straight up out of the magazine.

Smitty of the North
    Well that sucks. I've never shot a Hi-point but it sounds like that ordeal would sour me on them for a while. Side note, the much touted lifetime 100% no questions asked guarantee is very much loved by hi-point owners. That said, I also get the impression it's very much USED by said owners.

Smitty, I like your honesty on firearms stuff. Don't always agree 100%, but I am really not an expert on firearms, just an old Alaskan with strong opinions, opinions that are based on what works for me. If we could all shoot 200 rounds through a "combat" pistol before laying down the cash, we would benefit greatly.

That .45 ACP cartridge is a good one, it has been around forever and most users know what to expect from it. I currently have 4 .45 ACP pistols and one that I almost always take on my dog walking and bike riding trips is a Glock 36. It holds a 6 round magazine a is small and light enough to carry all day in a good holster or fanny pack. I have had it for 3 or 4 years and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and I can shoot it much better then any snub nose revolver I have shot. They cost more then a Hi Point and the only draw back to them is the typical finger groves and hump Glock has on their pistols. I removed the finger grooves on mine and I am getting brave enough to get rid of the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    ...that .45 acp cartridge is a good one, it has been around forever and most users know what to expect from it...

...it goes bang every time i pull the trigger....

...i can shoot it much better then any snub nose revolver i have shot...
    this ^^^^^^^
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast