Thread: Buying a 40' Canadian Troller need advise on Customs, Registration, Coast Guard etc.

Default Buying a 40' Canadian Troller need advise on Customs, Registration, Coast Guard etc.

I'm planning on purchasing a Canadian licensed 40' boat shortly and running it up in April. The boat is near Nanoose Bay. I've not got clear answers from US Coast Guard. Commercial fisheries has indicated no problem as long as the net tonnage is less than 5 tons. Boat surveys out at 4.43 net tons. Hoping someone can give me a little direction that has actually done this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    I'm planning on purchasing a Canadian licensed 40' boat shortly and running it up in April. The boat is near Nanoose Bay. I've not got clear answers from US Coast Guard. Commercial fisheries has indicated no problem as long as the net tonnage is less than 5 tons. Boat surveys out at 4.43 net tons. Hoping someone can give me a little direction that has actually done this. Thanks.
    Call one of the outfits that deal with limited entry permits, they know.

You will need to just do state registration for it with the DMV for Alaska. If you are going to use it for commercial fishing you will need to have all required safety equipment on board. You might have to have an add measure done to prove that it is under 5 net tons, and to have it done in Homer the cost is going to push $5000.00 because you have to fly the guy up from Seattle to do it.

Thanks .... I'm going to rely on one of the brokers to handle all of the paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    You will need to just do state registration for it with the DMV for Alaska. If you are going to use it for commercial fishing you will need to have all required safety equipment on board. You might have to have an add measure done to prove that it is under 5 net tons, and to have it done in Homer the cost is going to push $5000.00 because you have to fly the guy up from Seattle to do it.
    If it's going to be used commercially, its best to have it documented and the Jones Act requires a vessel keel be made in the USA. I know it's not necessarily enforced much since there's plenty of Harborcraft boats used as charter boats but if and when they do enforce it it could kill a business really quick. If you plan to use the boat commercially, I'd call the USCG and ask them about the Jones Act and then decide if it's worth the risk of buying a foreign made boat for commercial use.
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Thanks ... I don't want any surprises.

I was in the Coast Guard for 21 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    If it's going to be used commercially, its best to have it documented and the Jones Act requires a vessel keel be made in the USA. I know it's not necessarily enforced much since there's plenty of Harborcraft boats used as charter boats but if and when they do enforce it it could kill a business really quick. If you plan to use the boat commercially, I'd call the USCG and ask them about the Jones Act and then decide if it's worth the risk of buying a foreign made boat for commercial use.
    Harbor craft has the hulls welded up in Washington and the boats are finished in Canada. I had them check mine and have a letter confirming manufacture in Washington State.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

As long as you are not over 5 net tons using it for commercial it can be made anywhere. Any boat under 5 net tons used for commercial if made outside the USA will just have state numbers, because it can't be documented. Just for info any space that you can't fit a bail of cotton into trough the opening doesn't count for net tonnage. Almost all charter boats under 35 feet are under 5 net tons. Plus only boats with the keel laid in the USA can be documented unless they have a exemption letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Harbor craft has the hulls welded up in Washington and the boats are finished in Canada. I had them check mine and have a letter confirming manufacture in Washington State.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    As long as you are not over 5 net tons using it for commercial it can be made anywhere. Any boat under 5 net tons used for commercial if made outside the USA will just have state numbers, because it can't be documented. Just for info any space that you can't fit a bail of cotton into trough the opening doesn't count for net tonnage. Almost all charter boats under 35 feet are under 5 net tons. Plus only boats with the keel laid in the USA can be documented unless they have a exemption letter.
    Thanks for trying to clarify but it's still clear as mud, What determines the net tonnage? I've spoke with different USCG folks in the past and have always got conflicting info. I played it safe and and just bought a USA made boat to avoid any hassles. It was someone in the USCG that lead me to look at Almar (Now North River) when I was searching for a future charter boat. I wish I could recall his name. Best advise I've ever followed.
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Just an update...After talking at length with the Coast Guard in Juneau, a marine architect/surveyor, a boat broker in Alaska, a boat broker in Canada, a commercial fisherman in Washington,...it all makes my head spin, but; three choices 1) buy the boat in Canada as a pleasure boat, bring it across the border, register it as a AK pleasure boat, later have it admeasured -5T ($5000+), license commercially. 2) buy the boat in Canada, have it admeasured -5T ($4000+), bring it across the border all paperwork in hand, license commercially. 3) Forget it and buy a boat in Alaska. Probably going with (2). Just posting this in case someone else is thinking on these lines. The Canadian dollar is pretty weak now and their boats are priced pretty attractive.

I failed to add that the boat surveyed at 9.41 net ton not 4.43 in my original posting.