Thread: What small survival gear do you bring into the bush?

Thumbs up What small survival gear do you bring into the bush?

Hey guys, what kind of gear you bring with you on a hunt or when you go hiking etc?

I'm a collector of all kinds of gear..

I'm currently living in Ontario but will be moving to Alaska soon, I'm trying to prepare and buy things in advance like bear spray etc.

Here's a few items I always bring from my collection:

Kabar Kukri Machete

Strong chopper, great for clearing. This ones my favorite machete because of the blade shape.

Csar-T Tops Buck Knife

This buck knife is awesome, normally I'd go with a fixed blade but I just love the durability and quality of this folder.

Folding Credit Card Knife

This little knife is actually one I got free from a survival life promotion.

It has a quality blade, all metal build and it fits into the credit card area of my wallet. It makes an excellent backup tool and I have it with me always.

You can get 2 of these knives for free from http://knifefreebie.com?=free-knife-giveaway-2016 I originally found out about the giveaway in Ducks Unlimited magazine.

I'll probably be picking up the Ka-Bar Becker BK2 next week, will post some pics and a review if I get it.

For flashlights I'm thinking about either of these two:

SOLARAY-PRO-ZX
    Fenix PD35 TAC 1000 Lumen CREE

My last flashlight fell from 2 feet off a log, hit a rock and broke. Terrible durability for a $75 light.

For my compass I just use a cheap one.. I mainly rely on my GSP (it's made by Garmin I forget the model) it syncs with my dogs tracking collar.

I try to keep things minimal, I barely even bring food or water when I head out I like to try and rough it as much as possible. I do bring some fold out cookware but also like to cook on flat rocks or do primitive cooking setups.

What are your choices for best machete, buck knife, EDC, gear items etc?

this should be moved down the page to the survival forum

"buy bear spray in advance..." good plan as you could be mauled the second you step across the line.

Thinking of basics when I pack for time off the beaten path.
    Extra socks, fire starting stuff, a couple of glow sticks for signaling at night, a good length of 550 cord. There's more, but some of that depends on where we are going.

Sat phone, survival blanket, matches, and a first aid kit. That will take care of me for a few days until help arrives.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Plenty of bug dope, toilet paper and wipes, the usual fire starter, rain gear, sheath knife, pocket knife, compass, snack, cell phone, first aid kit. So much depends on length of stay. Some kind of firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    this should be moved down the page to the survival forum

"buy bear spray in advance..." good plan as you could be mauled the second you step across the line.
    I'll be honest.. I've never been worried once about black bears (we have them in my area).. but Grizzlies scare the hell out of me!

Maybe I've heard too many Grizzly attack stories..

People unloading a clip into them and still getting mauled..

Grizzly biting a persons head and there was so much pressure their eyes popped out (but they survived).

Now I'm paranoid haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Sat phone, survival blanket, matches, and a first aid kit. That will take care of me for a few days until help arrives.
    What kind of satellite phone do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by srtarrow View Post
    I'll be honest.. I've never been worried once about black bears (we have them in my area).. but Grizzlies scare the hell out of me!
    Well, right there is your problem. Black bears attack more people more often than brown/griz. And when black bears do attack, they intend to eat you. Most griz/brown attacks are just a warning butt kicking that you can live through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LED headlamp. I was deer hunting PWS at near sundown, killed a deer, field dressed dear then proceeded to hike back to boat. Luckily my hunting partner had a flashlight. One of the best lessons I've ever learned. I always pack a headlamp and fresh batteries.

I generally carry a book for reading, burning, or for a wipe......a compass, redundant fire starting methods, tarp/rain poncho and a tarp/spaceblanket, toilet paper, razor and nail clippers, bug dope, sewing kit, MRE accessory packets as sealed up TP, Coffee, matches, extra knifes, hand towel, MRE for a hot meal, cans of meat, coffee, candy, hone stone, candles, a bit of rope, more firestarters, a first aid kit (kinda big) a metal canteen and cup (for melting ice and carrying water, as thirst is the bane of the Arctic, 'water ,water everywhere and not a drop to drink" comes to mind....... and tools of various sorts..... and some other way of starting a fire.... on the ride I have a tool set, on the sled I always take a sleeping bag and tarp, usually 5 extra gallons of gas, depending on whats up....same in the boat.
    The bag has 1,000 uses in the cold besides sleeping in.

If you have kids al;ong, build a fire and pop a candy in their mouths, read the book and make coffee......... I just make a camp and wait, and if its not so bad, like a great day hunting, yet broke down, Ill just keep hunting, maybe pushing my sled along with my sleeping bag and travel bag, even if its 200 miles back home and several days to walk it....just the outlook "Hell, Im still gonna hunt" additude alone takes away the dark grey clouds in the mind of a fella out in the Tundra.....

I had a Iridium sat phone that dropped calls like basketball dribbles, but after getting some advice here at AO, I sent it back and now talk talk talk if need be. Communications are the best way to get out of bad situations, but the bag is there untill I get out, however that may be.

I always take my stuffs for an overnight, even if were only supossed to be gone a short time or distance....we call them our travel bags, and its always being gone through and its contents change with need, mission and season Ive refined it over the years and its 1/2 the confidence I have for my time out and about.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by srtarrow View Post
    What kind of satellite phone do you use?
    Iridium. I haven't had problems getting a signal.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Chip, that was a great post with picture no less. A lot of guys will thank you for that. keep on, Keeping on.
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

I generally carry a book for reading, burning, or for a wipe......a compass, redundant fire starting methods, tarp/rain poncho and a tarp/spaceblanket, toilet paper, razor and nail clippers, bug dope, sewing kit, MRE accessory packets as sealed up TP, Coffee, matches, extra knifes, hand towel, MRE for a hot meal, cans of meat, coffee, candy, hone stone, candles, a bit of rope, more firestarters, a first aid kit (kinda big) a metal canteen and cup (for melting ice and carrying water, as thirst is the bane of the Arctic, 'water ,water everywhere and not a drop to drink" comes to mind....... and tools of various sorts..... and some other way of starting a fire.... on the ride I have a tool set, on the sled I always take a sleeping bag and tarp, usually 5 extra gallons of gas, depending on whats up....same in the boat.
    The bag has 1,000 uses in the cold besides sleeping in.

If you have kids al;ong, build a fire and pop a candy in their mouths, read the book and make coffee......... I just make a camp and wait, and if its not so bad, like a great day hunting, yet broke down, Ill just keep hunting, maybe pushing my sled along with my sleeping bag and travel bag, even if its 200 miles back home and several days to walk it....just the outlook "Hell, Im still gonna hunt" additude alone takes away the dark grey clouds in the mind of a fella out in the Tundra.....

I had a Iridium sat phone that dropped calls like basketball dribbles, but after getting some advice here at AO, I sent it back and now talk talk talk if need be. Communications are the best way to get out of bad situations, but the bag is there untill I get out, however that may be.

I always take my stuffs for an overnight, even if were only supossed to be gone a short time or distance....we call them our travel bags, and its always being gone through and its contents change with need, mission and season Ive refined it over the years and its 1/2 the confidence I have for my time out and about.

I'm super frustrated, I had the Becker BK7, and my wife seems to have misplaced it. > She borrowed it to harvest devils club for a salve she makes and she says she brought it home, and when I went to use it ..... IT IS GONE! So not happy about that.....