Thread: Camping in bear country

Question Camping in bear country

I have camped in bear country several times with no problems but was always able to suspend food and such from trees so they were out of reach. The areas where we will be caribou hunting will be very open without trees. What works for keeping food safe ? The same would go for game meat?

What has always worked for me is to buy a bear tag.

Bears don't dare come within miles of my camp.

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post

LMAO......

So true, so true
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Quote Originally Posted by N*** HUNTER View Post
    I have camped in bear country several times with no problems but was always able to suspend food and such from trees so they were out of reach. The areas where we will be caribou hunting will be very open without trees. What works for keeping food safe ? The same would go for game meat?
    You could always use bear-proof containers to store your food. The only problem I can see is a bear taking the container with the food inside The containers work very well. You could also add an electric fence around the food and tent. Some are very small in size, but pack a good punch.

Red face agree

I agree with the bear tag option. I think you are very unlikely to have bear troubles in open country. We have never had them near the tent caribou hunting. Bears seem more skittish in open country and likely know to stay away from people cause they have probably been hunted. Just keep your food/game meat away from your tent but close enough that you can make the shot(like on the ridgeline). One time sheep hunting we must have camped on a bear trail cause despite being above a glacier twice while eating grizzlies came over the hill just behind out tent. But as soon as we started yelling they ran like hell.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post

heheh - the prize for the first, and best answer goes to busted!

Default Tundra hunting

When we hunted caribou in the NWT, (no trees), we put our meat about 1/2 mile from camp. Better he ate the meat and not us. We did see a bear close to camp, wind must have been right because he went away without messing with anything. Got the meat home perfect.