Thread: Ebay Braided line?? Comments?

Default Ebay Braided line?? Comments?

I was looking at an thread from November, 2015 and a couple guys mentioned the "economical" braid that is sold on ebay, 1000m for $30 type economical! I was thinking of 100lb for my halibut reels.

Does anyone else use that ebay (china) line and have thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I was looking at an thread from November, 2015 and a couple guys mentioned the "economical" braid that is sold on ebay, 1000m for $30 type economical! I was thinking of 100lb for my halibut reels.

Does anyone else use that ebay (china) line and have thoughts?
    r
    No. Never have, never will.

The line is almost certainly junk,and just might break on the biggest fish of your life. The few bucks you save now will not look like much of a bargain then.

This exact thread is running on the Hull Truth right now with the same thoughts...Now way. If you buy it and fish it...and when you loose the fish of a lifetime...Will saving the $30 bucks still be worth it? Not me.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

So I order it and receive it. $33.00 for 1500 yards. (I use 80lb braid) Shipped from China. Now get this. The label says it is power pro line made in the USA. I do not know if this is correct or a fake label. I have not used the line and may not for some time. I have all of my reels spooled up with fresh Berkley braid and bought this after seeing the post about the cheap line. I will comment after I use it however it will probably be this summer. At this point I do not know if I got a great deal or if I got screwed.

I'd use it, and probably will for my own use on my private sportfishing gear. Thanks for the heads up. The USA stuff is way overpriced.

No way, I've been beaten by inferior line , it will never happen again! After driving 75-90 miles and chumming for a whole tide or even two only to loose a great fish to poorly made line with a weak area, made for a bad day.
    Totally my fault for cutting corners, I will not do it again! Big fish do not make mistakes every day.

Would you hunt with cheap ammunition bought off the internet? LOL.

I guess I'm spoiled that I have a 5 minute walk to the harbor, and a 15 minute run to get me to an area where I can hook all the halibut I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffman Cove View Post
    So I order it and receive it. $33.00 for 1500 yards. (I use 80lb braid) Shipped from China. Now get this. The label says it is power pro line made in the USA. I do not know if this is correct or a fake label. I have not used the line and may not for some time. I have all of my reels spooled up with fresh Berkley braid and bought this after seeing the post about the cheap line. I will comment after I use it however it will probably be this summer. At this point I do not know if I got a great deal or if I got screwed.
    Counterfeit PowerPro. Junk. Do a google search for reports on performance and on how to spot the counterfeiting on the packaging.

Here is a warning directly from PowerPro: http://www.powerpro.com/publish/cont...t_warning.html

Hahaha I've been using eBay line for 3 seasons and haven't lost a fish one.
    Everyone has the own thoughts. I use the line and won't be using anything different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Thanks for the review. I'll be ordering up some. It's not that hard to loosen the drag a bit until you know how good the line is. For the price, it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Hahaha I've been using eBay line for 3 seasons and haven't lost a fish one.
    Everyone has the own thoughts. I use the line and won't be using anything different

Unlike the counterfeit PowerPro, this line has actually been decent for a few years. A friend of mine has been using it on his rockfish gear. If you know that this brand is what you are buying, it might be a good deal. I will continue to stay away. Quality can go from good to bad overnight with many Chinese goods.

This is the other brand I use. It funny to hear guys knock something they have never used!!!!

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Do this test:
    I used to test my heavy line connections like this.
    Take 50-ft. of line. Connect a 100-lb. scale to one end.
    Connect each end to the back of 2 pickups.
    The very slowly.
    Do this a few times.
    Let us know what the results are.

I've used some 80lb braid I got for 20 or 30 bucks off amazon the last couple seasons. Haven't had any problems with it. Seems just as good as string as the name brand stuff other I fish with use.

I got a good deal on some Fins braid at the sportsmans show a couple of years ago.
    Seems to be decent stuff and it was buy 2 get one free on a decent sized spool. I'd rather search out a deal on some quality brand then risk a day of fishing on the cheap stuff.
    While I have never tried the el cheapo line from eBay i'm not sure I ever would either.
    I have some decent quality rods/reels why skimp on the line? If it works for you great but when it fails I don't want to hear any complaining on the forums.
    A report yes. Gripes on it breaking no!
    I used to buy some jigs that were made with cheap brass eyes.
    Hooked a lot of fish on them too. Lost many a fish to those eyes twisting off and have a bunch of broken ones sans hook. Now I make my own using stainless eyes and haven't lost a fish because of that issue since.
    The jig company saved a whopping 6 and 1/2 cents per jig and it cost me several fish. They certainly didn't have my best interest at heart.
    Would a Chinese line manufacturer cut quality to save 6 cents per spool if it was feasible? You be the judge.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I got a good deal on some Fins braid at the sportsmans show a couple of years ago.
    Seems to be decent stuff and it was buy 2 get one free on a decent sized spool. I'd rather search out a deal on some quality brand then risk a day of fishing on the cheap stuff.
    While I have never tried the el cheapo line from eBay i'm not sure I ever would either.
    I have some decent quality rods/reels why skimp on the line? If it works for you great but when it fails I don't want to hear any complaining on the forums.
    A report yes. Gripes on it breaking no!
    I used to buy some jigs that were made with cheap brass eyes.
    Hooked a lot of fish on them too. Lost many a fish to those eyes twisting off and have a bunch of broken ones sans hook. Now I make my own using stainless eyes and haven't lost a fish because of that issue since.
    The jig company saved a whopping 6 and 1/2 cents per jig and it cost me several fish. They certainly didn't have my best interest at heart.
    Would a Chinese line manufacturer cut quality to save 6 cents per spool if it was feasible? You be the judge.
    I've had good luck with FINS so far as well the last 3 seasons.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

You should try it it works well for a lot of people , no bad reports on it, some one will complain that they lost a fish because of the line broke but that is fishing , an it could be OLD line or there mistake , but who will knows , I lose fish even with the best line that the locals shops in Anchorage have to offer . . SID