Thread: Kodiak this spring/north Karluk River

Default Kodiak this spring/north Karluk River

So brown bear hunt this Spring with the wife. I think we have all our major bases covered. 10 days in a tent, with my wife and friend. Planning on doing lots of freeze dried food normal camping stuff. What extra creature comforts should we pack? What has been useful to you in the past that I wouldn't normally think of? We have some extra weight we can use on the flight so a bit of extra weight isn't a huge issue, but no sense is packing something we don't need. Tips? Ideas etc? First time doing this long of hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skip freeze dried, bring real food. at least fruits or dried fruit. if you have extra weight i'd use it all up in food, good food. spring kodiak is long long hours behind the glass, having real food to eat can really keep your motor running for the day! i can survive if i have a tent and a sleeping bag and tolerate it, but sucky food makes every day worse...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Don't for get a thermos like I did this fall!
    I know it's a little extra weight sucks. Hot coffee or tea is a heck of a moral booster when glassine in the rain and wind.
    Luckily one of the guys with me remembered theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good tarp you can set up to glass under is worth it's weight in gold when the weather turns bad. One of those lightweight camp chairs with three legs are nice too.

Weight would be real food and luxury lite cot.

Quote Originally Posted by akdaniels View Post
    Weight would be real food and luxury lite cot.

Precisely.

If you are hunting out of a base camp style tent near where the plane drops you off, (I.e.not backpacking everything) you can even make meals ahead and freeze them and then reheat on a 2 burner stove. i have done 10 days of homemade dinner entrees for parties of 4 on several occasions, just making things ahead and freezing in gallon ziplocks or vacuum sealer bags. Then just reheat each nights entree. I fly all the frozen food down on the commercial plane in an insulated freezer bag, just keeping it under the 50lb limit. Pull out each evenings entree in the morning so it has time to thaw before I reheat it.

If if that's more than you are up for, at the very least bring some luxury foods like cheese, salami or Hunter sticks, cookies or candy, and lots of hot drinks like coffee/tea/cocoa.

camp chairs or stools of some kind can be super nice, and a large plastic tote makes a nice table (again, for a basecamp style set up)

a deck of cards, music, podcasts or audio books and a battery pack or other way to recharge phones or iPod.

we have flown out a buddy heater and a 20lb bottle of propane on some trips as well, depending on the situation, weight and projected weather. Just to run in the evenings and mornings to provide some auxiliary heat. A Propane lantern also makes it nice if you will be hanging out in the tent after dark or before it gets light.

Best of luck to you and your wife, excited to hear all about your adventure!