Thread: Newbie help needed for me & wife

Default Newbie help needed for me & wife

So we're from South Dakota and basically new to Alaska fishing (took 1 charter for Silvers back when we were looking to move here).

Anyway, we have virtually no gear right now & are used to sitting on a lake bank fishing with eggs & bobbers for trout We did that with success at Jewel lake in Anchorage, however I doubt that'll fly many other places

We will be traveling from Anchorage to Deadhorse, then back down to Paxon, across the Denali Hwy, and home. Trip will be in 2 weeks and last for 2 weeks. We would like to fish all along the way. We have fly fished in Colorado before, but that too was a charter & I have no idea on gear.

Any advise to get started? We would like to fish trout or grayling I'd guess. We have trout spinning rods, some small hooks & bobbers; but that's about all.

Thanks for the hand!

When will you be traviling?
    If the salmon are in then you will find good trout fishing in a lot of areas where there are salmon spawning. I usually free float a clump of roe through the salmon and let it bounce along the bottom. Red salmon are the best to fish amungst because they almost never bite so you can easily catch trout. If you like bobber fishing you can do that in many of the lakes. as for greyling very few things will match fly fishing but you can catch them on salmon eggs if salmon are spawning and small spinners can be effective too. If you have a light gear you can tie a wet fly on you spinning pole with a split shot and work it gently and have good results.

I don't know much of that area very well but if your in the valley when the reds are spawning I can show you some great trout fishing.

Well my wife & I are taking 2 fun trips.

Our big trip to deadhorse and such is July 16-30.

We are planning to take a short trip July 2-7 and that location hasn't been planned yet. We are looking to fish that trip & thus your replies will help pick a spot!

Thanks

Default From Paxston on the Denali

Great fun on the Denali highway. Take your ultra lights with 0 and 1 mepps spinners. If you have a milepost and it says grayling fishing on the lake or stream trust it. We have caught hundreds and hundreds of them over the last 25 years up here. You can pull over and look for them feeding and walk down and just catch them. Also Tangle river is awesome, and rock creek in july is awesome. Lots of unnamed lakes and streams have grayling so get out and explore and enjoy. If you need more info let me know and ill email you my number and we can chat
    Fish on chuck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks Chuck, got your IM and will give you a call

You can always attach a tear-drop bobber to the line and then lead off w/ a 2 foot light leader to attach dry flies. That is how I first learned to fly fish w/ an Ultra Light rod and showed my boys the same way. We had a killer time at Tok on the way to moving to Anchorage and was nailin' 'em hand over fist with this method! Just be sure to use some dry fly oil on the fly to keep it from sinking. A nice mosquitto or mayfly will do nicely...