Thread: Crosswinds Lake this weekend

Default Crosswinds Lake this weekend

I plan on leaving Friday Morning and setting up by Friday afternoon/evening. I'll be in my yellow Arctic Oven in the evening/night looking for burbot and a red eskimo quick fish in the day time looking for lakers. Feel free to stop by and say hi. I'll be by myself so if your looking to pair up, swing on by.

James
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Let me know how you do! I am going up next weekend for 4 days, also in my arctic oven.

How did it go mntransplant?

First off, I didn't catch any fish. However I still consider it a successful trip because I learned alot and will definitely fare better next time. The trailI took in dropped me off at the opposite end of the lake as I was trying to get to. I didn't get in until after dark so I decided to just set up camp and fish where I set up. The wood I bought ended up being pretty green so I had to fight with it all night to keep the fire going. By the next morning my head was splitting from all the smoke I inhaled from the smoldering fire. I ended up only going the one night because of that. (i got home in time for the big quake)
    THINGS I LEARNED

- Wrap the auger so it can't move (my auger head separated from the shaft)
    - The rod case I brought worked perfectly
    - Wrap the Vexilar or it will break
    - Bring bags of charcoal instead of firewood
    - Use whitefish or bigger tubes for bait
    - That lake is pretty darn big
    The trail didn't seem that rough and i drove about 20-25 MPH, but it apparently was enough to cause havoc. I'm looking forward to doing this trip again. I was the only one on the lake the first night and only one other party on the second day. Best of luck to all who head out there! Sorry it took awhile for the response, I forgot I had posted this.

James
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Duraflame fireplace logs work well for winter camping and.last longer than wood in small stoves.

i haven't had much luck with the Duraflame logs. I just heard of people using charcoal in the stoves. Sounds like it would be perfect for a try this winter.

My last trip to X-Wind we used Duraflame logs in the Arctic Oven stove. Worked like a charm.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Well I guess I'm just going to have to try the duraflame logs again. Maybe I just got a few bad logs. Fishgod, how many hours do you typically get out of a Duraflame log?

Be careful with the charcoal. It can asphyxiate you while you sleep.
    It's not designed for home heating.
    I cut my own wood from Deadhorse storm damaged trees in my yard.
    And it's always nice to have a small woodpile for occasions such as this.
    Summer camping trips we just grab some wood from the pile.
    My wife has a backyard firepit and it's nice to keep some for that also.
    If you can I would recommend keeping some firewood handy that you know is good whether you cut it or buy it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Well I guess I'm just going to have to try the duraflame logs again. Maybe I just got a few bad logs. Fishgod, how many hours do you typically get out of a Duraflame log?
    We cut them in half and after adjusting the flue we get about six hours. We just burn a half log at a time. Make sure you buy the 6 hour logs and not the four hour logs. We will supplement some wood in there sometimes if it's handy.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Be careful with the charcoal. It can asphyxiate you while you sleep.
    Can't accentuate this enough..... Have heard too many very sad stories over the years.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

We went out to Crosswind last weekend and camped in my Arctic oven. We brought Duraflame logs and charcoal, but ended up finding dead trees all around the shore.

we caught one laker and like 4 burbot. We marked tons but could never get them to hit. It's a huge lake and I will be going up one or two more times this sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    We went out to Crosswind last weekend and camped in my Arctic oven. We brought Duraflame logs and charcoal, but ended up finding dead trees all around the shore.

we caught one laker and like 4 burbot. We marked tons but could never get them to hit. It's a huge lake and I will be going up one or two more times this sprint.

Hey J2theD, Just curious, what did you try.

Large tube jigs (5-6") with herring and white fish. The white fish was from the summer (Kenai), I vaccumed sealed it whole. I've been told that fresh white fish is a game changer (catch them with jawjackers). I will be making more trips out there for sure. That lake has got to have some absolute monsters in it...