Thread: 375 Ruger and Reloader 17

Default 375 Ruger and Reloader 17

I finally finished working up a RL 17 load with a 250g TTSX. I loaded the same bullet with RL 15 as well. RL 15 gave me 1680 fps and RL17 gave 1820. My RL15 load is near max. I have not seen pressure signs with the RL 17 load, so I am not sure if I can go further since there is no data published. So, let's say I can get 150 fps over my RL15 load. Both loads are scary accurate out of a 20" barrel.

Then I put the increased Velocity into the ballistic table and found it made about one inch of difference at 300 yards compared to the slower load.

My RL 15 load has factory data to back it up, it is consistent and the new load is really no different. So I probably won't change it up until there is some more load data.

Is that a typo? It looks like you are below 2000fps. I would think you can get 2500 fps or more with either powder. I have been loading the 250 TTSX and your right about the accuracy. I just got a new chronograph and haven't got out to check velocity yet but should pretty soon.

If he's the same Daved from past internet threads on this subject, definitely a typo, as he's given load data in line with others.

Daved, Nosler says max RL17 charge is 81.5 with a 260 grain Accubond. A little shorter but heavier bullet. That may be valuable to you. From my own experience and research of other reports, is that really high (almost magical) velocities have been achieved with RL17 before any "signs" of pressure. I took that to understand that this powder probably hides it's pressure well and someone will eventually have a really bad day before they're convinced of a limit. I reached a comfortable limit when I started to compress loads with a 270 woodleigh weldcore and accuracy was good. Depending on which cannelure you seat to, you may hit max powder compaction with that long 250 ttsx at or before Nosler's 81.5 charge for a 260 accubond.

Ya. Fat fingers on a cell phone.

2680 fps. And 2820 fps.

My go to load for every big game I've taken in Alaska is 81.0 gr of RL-17 using 250 gr TTSX at 2890 fps from a 23" barrel. Also shoot the same load out of my 20" barrel but have not had a chance to chrony it to see how much of a velocity loss there is.

Below is the email response that I received from Alliant in 2013 when I was trying to find load info for RL-17. I have used this info to develop loads for my 243, 300 WM, and 375 Ruger. Thought this could be helpful for others looking to develop loads...

RE: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form
    You can use the IMR 4350 starting load with RL 17. Work your way up from there while watching the pressure signs. The max load will not be exactly the same but it should be similar. Thanks for your note.
    Ben.Amonette@ATK.COM

I got up to 84 grs behind a 270 tsx but it was certainly a little stiff. I ended up sticking with 82 gr. same impact point from 81 to 83 gr. 270 grain going 2920 out of a 23" tube. The 375 ruger and rl17 proved to be the easiest load development I have yet to complete.

I don't always give out my load data info online, but in this case it may help. I put 84.5g behind a 250g TTSX. That gave me my 2820fps. I would still like some load data to see if these numbers are in the ball park. It looks very promising for sure.

My 375 Ruger Guide Gun with 20" barrel are getting these velocities with the following loads.
    1. Hornady factory 270gr. load chronographed at 2777fps.
    2. 78.5 grs. of RL17 with 300gr. Nosler Accubonds load chronographed at 2590fps. 1/2" 3-shot group at 100yds.
    3. 73.0 grs. of RL17 with 350gr. PP Woodleigh load chronographed at 2391fps. 3/4" 3-shot group at 100yds.
    Scope is a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm duplex scope.